The Student Room Group

My mother keeps telling me I need to lose weight

I’m a 169cm girl and weigh 70kg , I have gained weight over the past year as I used to be quite thin . Every other day now my mother is implying I’m getting fat and that I need to lose weight and it’s getting annoying . I don’t look fat at all but my mum acts like I am . I don’t know what to do
Do you feel healthy, exercise and eat a balanced diet?
Just wear black it gives the illusions you look slimmer.
I am 175cm and around the 70kg mark, you are not overweight at all hun. Just do you and if you make sure to exercise daily and eat healthy it’s nothing to worry about. I run once a day and do a workout which seems to work for me. I don’t look fat at all so I assume you don’t either just ignore the trolls!! Us tall girls can often be passed off as overweight on online calculators or average age weights because tall girls simply have more length rather than width!!
Your BMI is 24.5. Put on another couple of kilograms and you’ll be in the overweight category. At the end of the day it’s your choice but if you want to live a healthy life you should probably try not to put on anymore weight.
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie_1712
Your BMI is 24.5. Put on another couple of kilograms and you’ll be in the overweight category. At the end of the day it’s your choice but if you want to live a healthy life you should probably try not to put on anymore weight.

I don’t plan to gain weight & people’s weight spreads out differently in different people . As I’m quite tall , my weight is fine for my height . I’m certainly not overweight and nor do I appear that way
ignore BMI drs can be stupid. if you're healthy then ignore her, some times parents can be narcissistic.
Original post by Anonymous
(edited 3 years ago)
:ditto:
sorry, I am not saying drs are all stupid or your stupid, what I mean is calipers can be used to see if you over weight and other methods for accuracy. For example if op was very busty due to hormone imbalance the BMI would ignore this and factors such as muscle composition for men.

This app doesn't work well with keyboard on the latest version of Android. I am being a bit flippant, ironically it's working a better again.
Original post by Jamie_1712

Original post by Iforgetiwasbored
ignore BMI drs can be stupid. if you're healthy then ignore her, some times parents can be narcissistic.

I find that the BMI is pretty accurate. I’m a really tall guy and have a BMI of 17.5 as in very athletic so it reflects my weight
I’m a 169cm girl and weigh 70kg , I have gained weight over the past year as I used to be quite thin . Every other day now my mother is implying I’m getting fat and that I need to lose weight and it’s getting annoying . I don’t look fat at all but my mum acts like I am . I don’t know what to do

Btw OP another way to measure it is if your waist measurement is under half of your height, i.e. your waist should be below 84cm. What’s your waist measurement?
Original post by Iforgetiwasbored
sorry, I am not saying drs are all stupid or your stupid, what I mean is calipers can be used to see if you over weight and other methods for accuracy. For example if op was very busty due to hormone imbalance the BMI would ignore this and factors such as muscle composition for men.

This app doesn't work well with keyboard on the latest version of Android. I am being a bit flippant, ironically it's working a better again.

I know, and I didn’t take it personally don’t worry. But what I’m saying is that your logic is flawed to say BMI doesn’t matter because doctors can be stupid. Now your response makes much more sense. While I agree with you there, I believe in the examples you mentioned, the person in question will know full well that muscle are/or breast tissue are contributing to their weight and would be able to give themselves leeway on the BMI side of things.

Btw I know what your talking about, it’s being a nightmare rn and wouldn’t let me edit my original reply to you which first of all appeared duplicated but has now vanished for whatever reason.
I have been a gym rat for years and it never did BMI reflect for me, I'm ADHD and I can train to the max when I go to the gym and I'm built and cut when I don't I look soft with composition changing but my BMI not going any real meaning.

The same experience regarding blood tests happens to me for my creatine level range way above although I had no kidney damage and no elevated liver levels etc. showing no drug use Dr sometimes have to use common sense more than one test to diagnose people.

Saying athletic is like when people say to me they want to tone. The body types is so subjective.

please do not listen to your mom!you're perfect as u are!parents are not always right!learn to distinguish when they're not!!!talk to her ,let her know how is she making u feel about it and maybe she will understand
You should tell your mum that nobody is perfect and that she needs a facelift.
GIRL I FEEL YOU! My mum literally does the same thing to me, and you know what the more she does it the more it makes me want to eat things that are unhealthy af. Last week she told me about how I’m “gaining weight” and “no one likes chubby girls” so the same night I orders a McDonald’s meal. You just have to learn to not give **** about it, it’s her own problem if she doesn’t like it. If you’re happy with your body then keep it how it is, don’t change anything about yourself just because someone might have a problem with that. If you want to improve your weight, then go ahead exercise and eat healthy, BUT MAKE SURE ITS FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR OWN GOOD!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending