The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

The Official University of St Andrews Applicants Thread 2021

Hi there! :smile:
Thanks for visiting :tsr:
Please be aware that this discussion thread was for people applying to St Andrews for a 2021 start.

To chat to users for September 2022 start, click here >>

Or, to browse other conversations about St Andrews, click here >>

Hello all,

Welcome to the The Official St Andrews Applicants Thread 2021. Below I have compiled an FAQ which I have tried to make as unbiased as possible, which is difficult as I obviously chose St Andrews for good reasons!

What course you are applying for:

GCSEs (or equivalent, eg. GPA or SATs):

A level / IB / Highers predicted or achieved:

Extra curriculars relevant to your subject:

UK region or country you are from:

Fee status (EU, rUK or Overseas):

University choices, in order of preference:

Why St Andrews?:

St Andrews FAQ:

Degree structure

Distance/size

Student body and diversity

Nightlife

Traditions

League tables

Expensiveness

BSc/MA degrees

The weather

What is the degree structure like?

Spoiler

Will St Andrews be too remote, too far from home or too small for me?

Spoiler

How diverse is St Andrews and what are the students like compared to other unis?

Spoiler

What is the nightlife like?

Spoiler

What are the traditions?

Spoiler

How should I use uni league table rankings?

Spoiler

Is St Andrews an expensive place to live?

Spoiler

What do I need to know about BSc and MA degrees?

Spoiler

What is the weather like?

Spoiler

I can't visit before applying, can you recommend any sources?

Spoiler

Why did you choose St Andrews?

Spoiler

The-Gaudie.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
What course you are applying for: probably International Relations and Economics
GCSE grades (or SAT/ACT score; GPA..): 998A*A*A*A*A*A
A level / IB / Highers, AP predicted or achieved grades: don't know yet, covid pressed pause on our year 12 mocks
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: Politics society, youth for peace, various sports, piano
UK region or country you are from: London/Wales
Your fee status (Home/EU, rUK or Overseas): Home
Universities you are thinking of, in order of preference: St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and two more, haven't decided
Why St Andrews?: I'm not a massively clubby person and love the flexibility of the Scottish uni system
Original post by Anonymous
What course you are applying for: probably International Relations and Economics
GCSE grades (or SAT/ACT score; GPA..): 998A*A*A*A*A*A
A level / IB / Highers, AP predicted or achieved grades: don't know yet, covid pressed pause on our year 12 mocks
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: Politics society, youth for peace, various sports, piano
UK region or country you are from: London/Wales
Your fee status (Home/EU, rUK or Overseas): Home
Universities you are thinking of, in order of preference: St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and two more, haven't decided
Why St Andrews?: I'm not a massively clubby person and love the flexibility of the Scottish uni system

does st andrews have a good night life
Original post by Frankiekenworthy

My parents went there (so obviously was a while ago!) and from what I can tell, it's not your average clubbing scene but they definitely know how to have fun. Dad was absolutely wild in his 20s and he says St Andrews was the best time of his life - and got very offended when my sister chose not to apply there because she was worried it would be 'boring'!
Original post by apolaroidofus
My parents went there (so obviously was a while ago!) and from what I can tell, it's not your average clubbing scene but they definitely know how to have fun. Dad was absolutely wild in his 20s and he says St Andrews was the best time of his life - and got very offended when my sister chose not to apply there because she was worried it would be 'boring'!

That's made me want to go so much more haha
I’m considering applying to St Andrews this year for Philosophy, it’s 3rd in UK for philosophy and you need AAB so I feel like id be silly not to give it a go but the distance really puts me off! It’s almost 6 hours to get there from me and as I lowkey feel like I’d appreciate the occasional weekend or day home I feel like it wouldn’t be the best? But St Andrews it’s beautiful, everyone stresses about the lack of nightlife but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest....i feel like it’s my perfect uni (aside from the distance and lack of diversity haha, as a black female my other concern is that I’ll stand out a tad😂)
Reply 7
Original post by justjas33
I’m considering applying to St Andrews this year for Philosophy, it’s 3rd in UK for philosophy and you need AAB so I feel like id be silly not to give it a go but the distance really puts me off! It’s almost 6 hours to get there from me and as I lowkey feel like I’d appreciate the occasional weekend or day home I feel like it wouldn’t be the best? But St Andrews it’s beautiful, everyone stresses about the lack of nightlife but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest....i feel like it’s my perfect uni (aside from the distance and lack of diversity haha, as a black female my other concern is that I’ll stand out a tad😂)

I’m a black female and I have an offer to study at St Andrews this year. The lack of diversity also put me off, so I’ll investigate and then get back to you lol
Original post by rrzz8
I’m a black female and I have an offer to study at St Andrews this year. The lack of diversity also put me off, so I’ll investigate and then get back to you lol

Oml hahaha thank you - I hope it goes well for you though!
What course you are applying for: Modern History
GCSE grades (or foreign equivalent eg. SAT/ACT score; GPA): 9888777765
A level / IB / Highers, AP predicted or achieved grades: Not sure, probably A*A*AA I think though
Extra curriculars relevant to your subject: Just a lot of reading
UK region or country you are from: North East
Your fee status (Home/EU, rUK or Overseas): UK
Universities you are thinking of, in order of preference: St Andrews, Lancaster, Edinburgh, Manchester
Why St Andrews?: Really like the look of the course and I'm not massively keen on somewhere with a lot of nightlife
Original post by Frankiekenworthy

These are two of the most common questions which I have attempted to answer in the FAQ (see my original post), let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
These are two of the most common question which I have attempted to answer in the FAQ (see my original post), let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Ah thank you so much - sorry for some reason I didn’t see the FAQ!
Can I ask, about the distance again, how did you move to uni? Did you take everything by train or plane? Also, would you say travelling adds up to be quite expensive? My family honestly don’t have much money at all, I’m not sure yet obvs what I’ll be granted for uni but I don’t really want to blow loads on travel. Also, can you leave your things in your accommodation over the Christmas and Easter breaks or do have to fully pack and move out?
I also heard that breaks at St Andrews are longer than UK unis (Easter break lasts a month) is this true? If so that’ll help with the distance issue as I can be home with family longer.
I found it interesting what you said about black students at St Andrews. I’m quite shy and introverted so I don’t think I’ll end up being one of the extremely popular ones😂 but hey as long as there’s no racism horror stories that’s good at least. I’m just desperate to go somewhere that’ll make me happy - St Andrews ticks all my boxes aside from distance (mainly) and diversity.
Also - a long shot - do you have any opinions on philosophy at St Andrews? I know it’s 3rd (or 4th) in the league tables and I’ve heard it’s just a really good place to study philosophy but it’ll help if you happened to have any insider knowledge (obviously it’s okay if you don’t!)
Thanks again - sorry for the bombardment of qs
Ah thank you so much - sorry for some reason I didn’t see the FAQ!
Can I ask, about the distance again, how did you move to uni? Did you take everything by train or plane? Also, would you say travelling adds up to be quite expensive? My family honestly don’t have much money at all, I’m not sure yet obvs what I’ll be granted for uni but I don’t really want to blow loads on travel. Also, can you leave your things in your accommodation over the Christmas and Easter breaks or do have to fully pack and move out?
I also heard that breaks at St Andrews are longer than UK unis (Easter break lasts a month) is this true? If so that’ll help with the distance issue as I can be home with family longer.
I found it interesting what you said about black students at St Andrews. I’m quite shy and introverted so I don’t think I’ll end up being one of the extremely popular ones😂 but hey as long as there’s no racism horror stories that’s good at least. I’m just desperate to go somewhere that’ll make me happy - St Andrews ticks all my boxes aside from distance (mainly) and diversity.
Also - a long shot - do you have any opinions on philosophy at St Andrews? I know it’s 3rd (or 4th) in the league tables and I’ve heard it’s just a really good place to study philosophy but it’ll help if you happened to have any insider knowledge (obviously it’s okay if you don’t!)
Thanks again - sorry for the bombardment of qs

Train at the beginning of September and end of May, Plane at Xmas and Easter hols

Trains are expensive (maybe like £60 if you book well in advance), Ryanair/Easyjet are like £30 but then you've got the £20 St Andrews shuttle

Yup you only vacate halls in the summer

Nope Easter hols is only a couple of weeks. There used to be an inter-semester break between Post-January Semester 1 exams and Semester 1 in February, but now Semester 1 exams are squeezed in before Xmas which was a popular decision

No racism, students in particular are very tolerant!

I don't know anything about Philosophy but i've never heard a bad word if that helps! :smile:

Train at the beginning of September and end of May, Plane at Xmas and Easter hols

Trains are expensive (maybe like £60 if you book well in advance), Ryanair/Easyjet are like £30 but then you've got the £20 St Andrews shuttle

Yup you only vacate halls in the summer

Nope Easter hols is only a couple of weeks. There used to be an inter-semester break between Post-January Semester 1 exams and Semester 1 in February, but now Semester 1 exams are squeezed in before Xmas which was a popular decision

No racism, students in particular are very tolerant!

I don't know anything about Philosophy but i've never heard a bad word if that helps! :smile:

Ahh okay. So you managed to travel by train when moving there in September as a fresher even with all of your stuff? Prices aren’t too bad - would be brill if airlines did student discounts😂
Thank you again, you’ve been so helpful :smile:
Ahh okay. So you managed to travel by train when moving there in September as a fresher even with all of your stuff? Prices aren’t too bad - would be brill if airlines did student discounts😂
Thank you again, you’ve been so helpful :smile:

i wouldn't call it managed haha, it would have been easy if i had let my parents come up with me - i had 2 large luggage cases and 3 rucksacks! but there were suitcase racks on the East Coast trains which aren't too busy! and no worries at all
i wouldn't call it managed haha, it would have been easy if i had let my parents come up with me - i had 2 large luggage cases and 3 rucksacks! but there were suitcase racks on the East Coast trains which aren't too busy! and no worries at all

awh ahaha I can imagine the difficulty! I’ll have to drag my mum and brother along with me if the train tickets aren’t too extortionate!
Reply 16
Not going to lie... feeling called out as I'm an American and I was looking to apply to St. Andrews. Saw them at a college fair and thought the college was cool. But I didn't realize how many Americans attend (also the system for courses is oddly like the American one?) so I am reconsidering.

(Not that there is anything wrong with Americans! Just if I am going to move across the world for Uni, I actually want to experience a new culture and not be surrounded by familiarity.)
Original post by nmah
Not going to lie... feeling called out as I'm an American and I was looking to apply to St. Andrews. Saw them at a college fair and thought the college was cool. But I didn't realize how many Americans attend (also the system for courses is oddly like the American one?) so I am reconsidering.

(Not that there is anything wrong with Americans! Just if I am going to move across the world for Uni, I actually want to experience a new culture and not be surrounded by familiarity.)

Nah I feel like you’ll still be able to experience a new culture! That’s one of the reasons I want to attend... where I live now in the UK is MILES apart from St Andrews, Scotland and it’ll definitely be a new experience. Plus like A Rolling Stone said, Americans are still the minority! I’m sure Scottish and UK students are still the majority, just not as much of a majority they’d be at Leeds Uni or Durham for example. The system being similar to the US one is definitely a key selling point to me as a UK student though - I read (or heard) somewhere that the Scottish degree system is a perfect blend of the UK and US system :smile:
Original post by nmah

sorry it was not my intention to make you feel called out! the similarity to the US system is indeed another reason for the number of Americans - in England you only study your degree subject for 3 years with no chance to change and you have to drop out of uni and reapply the next year if it's not for you.

i wouldn't worry about not experiencing a culture as a 20% is only just that (and includes study abroads, so the full-time student number is closer to 16%) so you would get a balance between familiarity and new culture. also every American i've spoken to says they experienced culture shock when coming to the UK as it turned out to be more than just the US with different accents! I was in Sallies halls in my first year and it was a really nice 50:50 mix of Americans and Brits, but DRA is demographically very different

Also unfortunately Covid19 is going to severely affect the number of US students, i reckon maybe the number will even halve next year
Also (sorry just thought of another question!) is St Andrews very competitive to get into for RUK students? Competitive in this case meaning - very competitive (Oxbridge standards) or competitive (Russell Group standards such as Bristol, Durham), or somewhat “decent” like other unis outside Russell Group. I seem to be encountering conflicting reports - it either comes across as being very very difficult to get into for students from England, relatively decent (not easy btw, I doubt it’s easy to get into any uni) or very easy for Arts/Humanities. I’m applying for Philosophy (which is obvs an Art/Humanities subject) and although I’m assuming it won’t be overrun with applications I have no clue how “difficult” it’ll be to get a place, but with unis like Durham, Exeter and Leeds I have somewhat of an idea of my chances

Latest

Trending

Trending