The Student Room Group

In your opinion: Which of the two names is more beautiful and attractive: politics or

Hi,

If we accept that the two names (politics and government) as an academic major are interchangeable and they are synonymous.
But regarding the impression of names:

In your opinion: Which of the two names is more beautiful and attractive:

PhD in politics and international relations
PhD in government

Does anyone agree with me that a PhD in government is more beautiful and attractive?

Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
To be honest i wouldnt call them particularly interchangeable to start with, especially at advanced levels such as MSc and PhD.

With that being said the latter rolls off the tongue somewhat better.
Reply 2
Don't you think that a person with a PhD in government has the scope to interact more with internal issues that concern his government such as corruption, government system, etc.
Compared to political science?
And maybe a greater chance of getting a better government job?
PhD in politics and international relations sounds like it's more stuff so maybe sounds cooler? Idk
Original post by Adam_pir
Don't you think that a person with a PhD in government has the scope to interact more with internal issues that concern his government such as corruption, government system, etc.
Compared to political science?
And maybe a greater chance of getting a better government job?

A PhD is more about the project title than the 'subject' title you study under, especially if you are looking at academic jobs after you finish, so keep that in mind when choosing your route.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
A PhD is more about the project title than the 'subject' title you study under, especially if you are looking at academic jobs after you finish, so keep that in mind when choosing your route.

Thanks, I agree.
but I also think the name of the program comes to the fore, such as economics
politics, philosophy, etc.
Thanks, I agree.
but I also think the name of the program comes to the fore, such as economics
politics, philosophy, etc.

Not really. My PhD is multidisciplinary (covering linguistics, education, psychology), so employers/academics would get a better idea of the scope of it if they looked at my project title, as opposed to just my subject 'label'.
Reply 7
Not really. My PhD is multidisciplinary (covering linguistics, education, psychology), so employers/academics would get a better idea of the scope of it if they looked at my project title, as opposed to just my subject 'label'.

Mmm, I agree with you again, and I heard this before too. So in this case, if I studied Ph.D in government, and the subject of the thesis was, for example, about Iran's nuclear program, the Yemen war, or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The name of the project will be more important than the name of the program itself. So in this case, I will think about a topic that pertains to the government itself, such as government corruption ... etc. because I want the name of the government on the front.
Mmm, I agree with you again, and I heard this before too. So in this case, if I studied Ph.D in government, and the subject of the thesis was, for example, about Iran's nuclear program, the Yemen war, or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The name of the project will be more important than the name of the program itself. So in this case, I will think about a topic that pertains to the government itself, such as government corruption ... etc. because I want the name of the government on the front.

You would still put the PhD name on your thesis, and have it on your CV, it's just that the project title will always be more important.

Don't just choose a PhD for the sake of keywords being included.
Reply 9
You would still put the PhD name on your thesis, and have it on your CV, it's just that the project title will always be more important.

Thanks
Reply 10

Ok..thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending