The Student Room Group

what's a good first car?

So me and my sibling are getting a car (one for both of us lol) soon after lockdown and I know nothing about cars lol. if anyone has any advice about make, model, how old, how much etc that would be great!
If you want a sensible insurance price it would be best to go for a car with an engine that's at max about 1.2l.

Smaller city cars are great for that kind of thing.

Ford KA, Fiests. Skoda CITIGO, VW UP!, that kind of thing.
When looking for cars look at these features:
1. The brand and is it cheap to insure? Of course you can go with any preference of car you want lol
2. Mileage: any mileage under 50000 is considered good I think, well that’s what I look for in a car
3.Price
4. It’s best to go for used cars than new ones
5. Features, appearance etc
Happy to help
Reply 3
Original post by Gaius Caesar
If you want a sensible insurance price it would be best to go for a car with an engine that's at max about 1.2l.

Smaller city cars are great for that kind of thing.

Ford KA, Fiests. Skoda CITIGO, VW UP!, that kind of thing.

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by roseflamingo
When looking for cars look at these features:
1. The brand and is it cheap to insure? Of course you can go with any preference of car you want lol
2. Mileage: any mileage under 50000 is considered good I think, well that’s what I look for in a car
3.Price
4. It’s best to go for used cars than new ones
5. Features, appearance etc
Happy to help

that's great, thanks for the help!
We got daughter a VW Polo as the Up! was just too small - couldn't get her saxophone in the boot. It's a great little car. Not that cheap to buy though as they hold their value.
Reply 6
I have a 2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost (black). I also know nothing about cars but I'm learning to drive in it at the moment and I would recommend it. It's really easy to drive and it is generally a nice car.
Something costing £1000 or less.

The videos from these guys are inspirational:

Reply 8
Original post by Omgcobbly
So me and my sibling are getting a car (one for both of us lol) soon after lockdown and I know nothing about cars lol. if anyone has any advice about make, model, how old, how much etc that would be great!

Everything I would say has been said. You want something that doesn't get claimed on much - aka a grandad car. Avoid Fiestas and Corsas etc.

I'd also recommend not spending much, you'll no doubt want to buy something better in a year's time
Ford, Fiat, and VW Polo are good first cars.
I currently have a 1.0 Corsa S ecoflex and has been perfect for pretty much everything, MPG is good and has power when needed around your town but i'm upgrading to a 1.2 minimum when i can as taking a 1.0 on motorway sounds like i'm in a tornado and arrive deaf but other than that its been fine as a first car. Would recommend either a Corsa or Fiesta 1.0 so its cheap on fuel and insurance unless you can afford to pay a little more then get a 1.2.
Some advice from a recent acquirer of drivers license

1. Make sure you can afford to fuel it. MPG matters, a lot, Diesel is almost always better in this aspect.
2. Size also matters. Small, low power cars are generally cheaper to insure. Fiestas, Corsas and such are the go to for this reason
3. Service History, check it.
4. If you can, get a local mechanic you trust to look the car over quickly as soon as you buy it.
5. Go oldish but not ancient. My current car is a little over a decade old and going strong, costs less to buy, little to insure and is in pretty good condition
6. Consider black box insurance rationally. I hated the thought until I got mine, now I get money back every week (cheapest insurance policy I could have possibly got to boot) (carrotinsurance black box policy BTW (NOT the phone policy))

Quick Reply

Latest