The Student Room Group

Which offer should I firm?

Okay so here's my sitation, I'm an EU student with a predicted 43 (HL 777 Chem, Phys, Eng) and I applied to unis in Scotland this year (cheaper). I got an offer from St. Andrews for Chemistry and one from University of Strathclyde for applied chemistry and chemical engineering. The university I really wanted to go to was University of Glasgow for Chemistry but I, like many others, received a rejection yesterday due to "intense competition for limited spaces". Now I don't know what to do, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to go to Glasgow through Clearing since they rarely have remaining spots, especially for EU students. I like the fact that Strathclyde is in Glasgow, since I'm a big fan of large cities and I like being in a place that feels "alive" and has plenty of fun stuff to do and people to meet, but Strathclyde isn't that well known. St. Andrews on the other hand, is an amazing school that's famous worldwide, but living in a town the size of a spec of dust makes me uncomfortable, especially since its 5 times smaller than where I currently live (a place I already consider too small). I don't know if I would enjoy my experience living there. So now I don't know what to do. Additionally, I don't want to wait a year since Sweden's National Board of Student Aid (CSN) have decided they won't help students who commence their studies after December 2020. My parents have assured me I can wait a year if I want to and they would compensate, but I don't want to put any more financial pressure on them, so I'm sort of stuck, and I would appreciate any advice.
Original post by Mahheeee
Okay so here's my sitation, I'm an EU student with a predicted 43 (HL 777 Chem, Phys, Eng) and I applied to unis in Scotland this year (cheaper). I got an offer from St. Andrews for Chemistry and one from University of Strathclyde for applied chemistry and chemical engineering. The university I really wanted to go to was University of Glasgow for Chemistry but I, like many others, received a rejection yesterday due to "intense competition for limited spaces". Now I don't know what to do, it's highly unlikely I'll be able to go to Glasgow through Clearing since they rarely have remaining spots, especially for EU students. I like the fact that Strathclyde is in Glasgow, since I'm a big fan of large cities and I like being in a place that feels "alive" and has plenty of fun stuff to do and people to meet, but Strathclyde isn't that well known. St. Andrews on the other hand, is an amazing school that's famous worldwide, but living in a town the size of a spec of dust makes me uncomfortable, especially since its 5 times smaller than where I currently live (a place I already consider too small). I don't know if I would enjoy my experience living there. So now I don't know what to do. Additionally, I don't want to wait a year since Sweden's National Board of Student Aid (CSN) have decided they won't help students who commence their studies after December 2020. My parents have assured me I can wait a year if I want to and they would compensate, but I don't want to put any more financial pressure on them, so I'm sort of stuck, and I would appreciate any advice.

maybe my St A FAQ will help?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88672478&highlight=st%20andrews

You would probably be best going to Strathclyde. You need to go somewhere you will feel comfortable. There is a very strong possibility that as the UK has left the EU you might be classed as an overseas student for 2021 entry and have to pay large overseas fees.
Reply 3

Strathclyde and St Andrews are both great unis but honestly just my opinion I highly prefer strathclyde over St Andrews but that's just my opinion as I live in Scotland (Glasgow)

St Andrews is the best choice. its chem dept is ranked 11th and Strathclyde is ranked 46th. St Andrews has a global brand name - the future king of England studied there. Whilst the nightlife in Glasgow is 100 times better, the drop in the quality of eduction you will receive is too great if you go to Strathclyde.
Original post by mike23mike
St Andrews is the best choice. its chem dept is ranked 11th and Strathclyde is ranked 46th. St Andrews has a global brand name - the future king of England studied there.

Ranking counts for b-all if you dont like being at that Uni, aren't enjoy the course, and have no friends.
And where a member of the Royal Family studied is totally meaningless - do get a grip.,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending