The Student Room Group

Student finance enquiry

Hi!
I applied for my Student Loan a few months ago, which was accepted and I'm trying to figure out if the Maintenance Loan is included in that application, as whenever I try to find it online it just sends me to the regular student finance application. I don't seem to find a separate way to apply for the maintenance loan, and I need to know before I start uni this year since I'll have to take less hours at work. Tried to ring student finance but no luck due to the current situation. Some clarity would be very appreciated! Thanks☺️
Original post by Izabela CT
Hi!
I applied for my Student Loan a few months ago, which was accepted and I'm trying to figure out if the Maintenance Loan is included in that application, as whenever I try to find it online it just sends me to the regular student finance application. I don't seem to find a separate way to apply for the maintenance loan, and I need to know before I start uni this year since I'll have to take less hours at work. Tried to ring student finance but no luck due to the current situation. Some clarity would be very appreciated! Thanks☺️

Hi there, what is your Nationality and how long have you resided in the UK?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Hi Isaac,
My nationality is Romania and I've lived here for 4 years. 😊
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, what is your Nationality and how long have you resided in the UK?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac, my nationality is Romanian and I've lived here for 4 years 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi Isaac, my nationality is Romanian and I've lived here for 4 years 😊

Good morning Izabela :smile:

Based on this information you are not eligible to apply as a home student as you don't have 5 years residency. The only other way to apply for a Maintenance Loan is if you meet the Migrant Worker http://ow.ly/2x0230oL92f criteria.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 5
Good morning Izabela :smile:

Based on this information you are not eligible to apply as a home student as you don't have 5 years residency. The only other way to apply for a Maintenance Loan is if you meet the Migrant Worker http://ow.ly/2x0230oL92f criteria.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello Isaac, that can't be right as I've had many colleagues from different countries who only just came here recently and they all got the Maintenance loan. It's the only reason I even chose to go to uni. I couldn't possibly study full time and support myself financially with a part time job while having to pay rent and bills.
Reply 6
Hello Isaac, that can't be right as I've had many colleagues from different countries who only just came here recently and they all got the Maintenance loan. It's the only reason I even chose to go to uni. I couldn't possibly study full time and support myself financially with a part time job while having to pay rent and bills.

Hi Isaac, I just checked the student finance website and it absolutely does not say that I have to have been here for 5 years. It says 3 years although I know people who have gotten it just cause they're from the EU and no other history of living here. Is there any way I can contact student finance myself regarding this? I really need to get it sorted before I start my course. Thank you😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi Isaac, I just checked the student finance website and it absolutely does not say that I have to have been here for 5 years. It says 3 years although I know people who have gotten it just cause they're from the EU and no other history of living here. Is there any way I can contact student finance myself regarding this? I really need to get it sorted before I start my course. Thank you😊

That's wrong.

3 year criteria is for Rest of the World Nationals. You can give us a call on 0300 100 0607 and you will be told the exact information I am telling you. No one from the EU can just arrive in the UK and receive a Maintenance Loan, your friends who are telling you that are either Migrant Workers or they are giving you wrong information.

EU Nationals need to either:
- have 5 years residency in the UK
- Meet the Migrant Worker criteria

Rest of the world nationals need to:
- Have settled status, indefinite leave to remain
- 3 years residency/valid status in the UK
Reply 8
That's wrong.

3 year criteria is for Rest of the World Nationals. You can give us a call on 0300 100 0607 and you will be told the exact information I am telling you. No one from the EU can just arrive in the UK and receive a Maintenance Loan, your friends who are telling you that are either Migrant Workers or they are giving you wrong information.

EU Nationals need to either:
- have 5 years residency in the UK
- Meet the Migrant Worker criteria

Rest of the world nationals need to:
- Have settled status, indefinite leave to remain
- 3 years residency/valid status in the UK

Hi Isaac,
I managed to get in touch through a phone call with someone at Student Finance in the end, and got all the information I needed. My colleagues definitely got the Maintenance loan but I now have a feeling they might have lied about their situation/history at the time. Thank you for taking the time to reply☺️
Hi Isaac,
I managed to get in touch through a phone call with someone at Student Finance in the end, and got all the information I needed. My colleagues definitely got the Maintenance loan but I now have a feeling they might have lied about their situation/history at the time. Thank you for taking the time to reply☺️

Ok, I do work for Student Finance England and all the information I give you is always correct.

Hope you have a lovely evening.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending