The Student Room Group

Medicine application, UCAT, interviews, personal statement, etc

Hi guys,

I have applied to Leicester, UEA, Anglia Ruskin and St Georges for medicine and have received 3/4 offers. I received an interview invitation for all of them. I've done the UCAT, personal statement, etc. If anyone has any questions about the application, any of the unis, any help or anything else, just drop a question below. I'll be happy to help during these stressful times
Reply 1
Original post by Perplexed477
Hi guys,

I have applied to Leicester, UEA, Anglia Ruskin and St Georges for medicine and have received 3/4 offers. I received an interview invitation for all of them. I've done the UCAT, personal statement, etc. If anyone has any questions about the application, any of the unis, any help or anything else, just drop a question below. I'll be happy to help during these stressfulco

congrats on your offers! God Bless truly. How did you practise for the UCAT? and how did you talk about work experience on your personal statement?
Reply 2
Hi guys,

I have applied to Leicester, UEA, Anglia Ruskin and St Georges for medicine and have received 3/4 offers. I received an interview invitation for all of them. I've done the UCAT, personal statement, etc. If anyone has any questions about the application, any of the unis, any help or anything else, just drop a question below. I'll be happy to help during these stressful times

What was your application profile like (e.g GCSE, A levels, ucat score, work experience, extra curriculars), what is your top choice (of uni) and why, and how did you find your UEA interview?
The personal statement since I was not that good at writing it so I had to get help from loads of people. Also, UCAT revision since I had to do that in the summer holidays.
Original post by Tayaa8
congrats on your offers! God Bless truly. How did you practise for the UCAT? and how did you talk about work experience on your personal statement?

Thank you. I did a UCAT course with Kaplan where I got a book with a lot of questions and online questions. I mostly did the questions on the online question bank of Kaplan using a mouse etc to get used to the layout. Also, I used the 1250 UCAT questions book to do the questions. I suggest reading about the UCAT for some time to really understand every single thing about it, how it works, and how the points are awarded. After this do questions untimed to get used to the format and after some time where you got used to the format start doing them timed. Also, get used to flag questions if you don't understand them and skim the stories in verbal reasoning. The books really outline all the skills
Hi guys,

Which one did you firm?
And some more. I actually got 640 average with band 3 for sit judgment so it is not the end of the world. I thought I did bad but you just have to try a bit harder at the interviews.

I used the STARR method to talk about work experience in my ps. You dont have to go in too much detail. Just make sure whatever you say really makes the point
Original post by epicnm
What was your application profile like (e.g GCSE, A levels, ucat score, work experience, extra curriculars), what is your top choice (of uni) and why, and how did you find your UEA interview?

GCSEs - Triple science, 999
Maths, 8
Further maths, A
English lang, 6
English lit, 5
Geography, 7
Latin, 6
PE, 8
Dutch, A*
RE, 6

For AS I got an A for bio, A for maths, B for chem, and D for geography (dropped it for A levels). Fortunately, I am not doing A levels because of COVID but I got predicted A*A*A.
My UCAT score was 2560 (640 average) and band 3 for sit judgment.
For work experience I used a couple of weeks in a care home which I did during NCS, one day shadowing a GP, and one week in a pharmacy. It doesn't matter how long you did it, its really about what you learned from it.
Extracurricular wise I read a couple of articles of the New Scientist, a surgical skills course and a lecture where I learned how to suture.
My top choice for uni is Leicester because I like the place mostly and wanted to have the experience of living out.
My UEA interview was my first one and the one I didn't get an offer for :frown:. I loved the interview because they are really nice and have a conversation with you rather than asking you a lot of questions. It was the shortest one too with 6 stations.
Reply 8
Thank you. I did a UCAT course with Kaplan where I got a book with a lot of questions and online questions. I mostly did the questions on the online question bank of Kaplan using a mouse etc to get used to the layout. Also, I used the 1250 UCAT questions book to do the questions. I suggest reading about the UCAT for some time to really understand every single thing about it, how it works, and how the points are awarded. After this do questions untimed to get used to the format and after some time where you got used to the format start doing them timed. Also, get used to flag questions if you don't understand them and skim the stories in verbal reasoning. The books really outline all the skills

this is really helpful, thank you!
Reply 9
GCSEs - Triple science, 999
Maths, 8
Further maths, A
English lang, 6
English lit, 5
Geography, 7
Latin, 6
PE, 8
Dutch, A*
RE, 6

For AS I got an A for bio, A for maths, B for chem, and D for geography (dropped it for A levels). Fortunately, I am not doing A levels because of COVID but I got predicted A*A*A.
My UCAT score was 2560 (640 average) and band 3 for sit judgment.
For work experience I used a couple of weeks in a care home which I did during NCS, one day shadowing a GP, and one week in a pharmacy. It doesn't matter how long you did it, its really about what you learned from it.
Extracurricular wise I read a couple of articles of the New Scientist, a surgical skills course and a lecture where I learned how to suture.
My top choice for uni is Leicester because I like the place mostly and wanted to have the experience of living out.
My UEA interview was my first one and the one I didn't get an offer for :frown:. I loved the interview because they are really nice and have a conversation with you rather than asking you a lot of questions. It was the shortest one too with 6 stations.

Thank you! This was very helpful!
Original post by Krunker482
Which one did you firm?

Leicester
Hi guys,

Wow that's crazy. I applied med and got interviews from Leicester, Anglia Ruskin and St Georges London like you. I also did 640 in my UCAT and also used Kaplan. Main difference is that I didn't get one offer from any, which has made me absolutely devestated. I already achieved AAA btw. Its' crazy good you got all 3. But just how did u get all those offers. I couldn't even get 1. I often feel like crying about it. How did you prepare for interviews. Did u go with Kaplan again? Please let me know EVERYTHING you did in preparation for interview please.

PS I'm on reserve list for ARU so maybe that wil come thru? idk. Just seems like a lot of ppl put ARU last and they were in clearing last two years.
(edited 3 years ago)
Any chance you could upload and share your PS? It’d be really helpful! Congrats on your offers and best of luck for med school! :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by saranghoe
Any chance you could upload and share your PS? It’d be really helpful! Congrats on your offers and best of luck for med school! :wink:

Not to be recommended. If OP misses their grades and wants to re-apply then having openly posted their PS would mean they cannot reuse it as it would trigger plagiarism software.
There are plenty of examples here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/medicine/medicine-personal-statements
Oh alright that’s understandable! Thank you for the link :smile:
When did you start writing your personal statement? I am in the first year of college,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending