The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Ask a Uni of York Student!

Hello everybody!

In these difficult and uncertain times, a lot of universities have cancelled their open days due to the current pandemic, so we've been asked to work collectively and answer any questions you may have about the university. :h:

@barror1 BA English Literature/Linguistics (Graduated 2022)
@CoffeeAndPolitics BA Social and Political Sciences (Graduated 2022)
@Xenocydi BA Music and Sound Recording (Graduated)

P.S. Here's a lovely picture of Longboi, our resident BNOC! :biggrin:

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hiya, I’ve firmed York to study Law in September, and can’t decide between colleges. I’m debating between Constantine and langwith as I like them both. What would you say are the stereotypes of both colleges and the pros and cons of each? I like the common room in Constantine and want to know whether langwith offer anything similar? Thanks

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hello everybody!

In these difficult and uncertain times, a lot of universities have cancelled their open days due to the current pandemic, so we've been asked to work collectively and answer any questions you may have about the university. :h:

@barror1 BA English Literature/Linguistics (First Year)
@CoffeeAndPolitics BA Social and Political Sciences (First Year)
@Xenocydi BA Music and Sound Recording (Third Year)

University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Kiera123589
Hiya, I’ve firmed York to study Law in September, and can’t decide between colleges. I’m debating between Constantine and langwith as I like them both. What would you say are the stereotypes of both colleges and the pros and cons of each? I like the common room in Constantine and want to know whether langwith offer anything similar? Thanks

Hi Kiera. Congratulations on firming York to study Law later this year. I've visited Campus East a lot and have seen almost all of the accommodation except Langwith.

Accommodation in Constantine is the most expensive on campus and thus it's stereotyped as a college where your typically 'wealthy' student would live and it's a bit further out of the colleges in Campus East. As for Langwith, it's the equivalent of Derwent in Campus West and known for being quite social. Having said that, these are just stereotypes which shouldn't be taken too seriously. Speaking of pros and cons... Constantine is slightly closer to York Sports Village but it's the furthest college out in Campus East. There is a short cut from the bus interchange on Campus East which saves you time instead of walking via Langwith. As for Langwith, it's the only college in Campus East that has a bar and it's quite central to everything on Campus East (similar to Goodricke). There's a corner room which is basically the common room I believe.

If you want accommodation closer to the Law department, I would consider Goodricke (closest) or Langwith. Constantine isn't actually ridiculously far but still a slight trek (it's further up from Langwith) so if you did have a lecture/seminar etc. you'll have to leave a bit earlier than you would in Langwith.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Hello everybody!

Hi, I graduated from York last summer and I lived in Constantine for the 3 years I was there. Although Constantine my be slightly further away from things on Campus East, it’s really not a problem and is literally a minutes walk in difference. I would actually say that Constantine accommodation is much nicer than other accommodation on campus east. Although Langwith has a bar, everyone can use it and not living directly opposite it actually has many pros. I would say that Constantine doesn’t have a very established college atmosphere and the porters generally aren’t around (so if you lock yourself out you have to walk to Langwith or Ron Cooke) - but these are literally the only downsides. Another tip, I wouldn’t go for en-suite, I don’t think the extra cost is worth it at al and I personally think the kitchens in shared bathroom are much nicer (you only share with 3 people and the cleaners come much more regular). Whichever college you decide you’ll love. Constantine was my 5th choice initially but I wouldn’t change a thing now. (Also the walk from campus east is very nice and is good to separate work and home life - the buses are very regular too).

Hello everybody!

Hi (Jesus it’s been so long since I’ve posted on here),

first year here who’s had two terms worth of Constantine accommodation, and doing physics here. Broadly agree with what C&P and anon have said, though am *slightly* biased towards having en-suite (had one and stayed over night at friend’s rooms over on west an embarrassingly numerous amount of times - nothing beats having your own bathroom really imo)

Preference really whether you want an en-suite or whether you’d save a bit of money and just have shared. Getting around is hardly a problem (even up to night really) and the weekly college dinner is alright (I guess I appreciate it more because I would come home to dinner immediately after 4 and 1/2 hours doing lab work over on west) not something I think would immediately sway you towards being on East but there we are. (East however is only a few steps away from Greggs :smile:)

only downsides are yeah having to walk to Ron Cooke when you forget your keycard (and you will inevitably forget it during your first few weeks) and that you’re less likely to see Longboi unless you’re going to take regular trips to West. (Though it’s hard to avoid a cheeky reference to everyone’s favourite bird during your time even on East)
Hi! I’m thinking of applying to York this year for philosophy and I’m wondering what you guys think about Campus West? I’ve heard that it’s apparently rundown and “ugly” especially compared to East, but I’m not sure if that’s just a bit of an exaggeration? Tbh York Uni as a whole seems v pretty to me, but I’m aware the uni would tend to showcase the nice parts (as all unis would!) so I’m not too sure who to believe? Obviously I don’t mind at all if there’s old buildings and stuff, it’s to be expected as West has been around much longer and they can’t go as knock down everything! Also - bit of a general question - it’ll be so helpful to know your pros and cons of studying at York, and your experience in general :smile:
Original post by justjas33
Hi! I’m thinking of applying to York this year for philosophy and I’m wondering what you guys think about Campus West? I’ve heard that it’s apparently rundown and “ugly” especially compared to East, but I’m not sure if that’s just a bit of an exaggeration? Tbh York Uni as a whole seems v pretty to me, but I’m aware the uni would tend to showcase the nice parts (as all unis would!) so I’m not too sure who to believe? Obviously I don’t mind at all if there’s old buildings and stuff, it’s to be expected as West has been around much longer and they can’t go as knock down everything! Also - bit of a general question - it’ll be so helpful to know your pros and cons of studying at York, and your experience in general :smile:

Hi!
Campus West is not bad at all! It’s not as shiny and new as Campus East, but I personally think it’s lovely. When people refer to it as “ugly” I can only assume they are talking about the architecture of some of the buildings (notably Derwent and some of James) - but I think “ugly” is a stretch of the imagination, because even in those blocks you’ve got many more pros than cons (I believe). Vanbrugh and Alcuin are very nice indeed but very popular due to the close proximity of these buildings to pretty much everything except Campus East.

I loved York and I can’t fault it. I generally can’t think of any downsides!!!! If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. My experience was a very good one indeed and I hope if you choose York, yours will be too.
Original post by CharlotteSalf
Hi!
Campus West is not bad at all! It’s not as shiny and new as Campus East, but I personally think it’s lovely. When people refer to it as “ugly” I can only assume they are talking about the architecture of some of the buildings (notably Derwent and some of James) - but I think “ugly” is a stretch of the imagination, because even in those blocks you’ve got many more pros than cons (I believe). Vanbrugh and Alcuin are very nice indeed but very popular due to the close proximity of these buildings to pretty much everything except Campus East.

I loved York and I can’t fault it. I generally can’t think of any downsides!!!! If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. My experience was a very good one indeed and I hope if you choose York, yours will be too.

Thank you! I figured that would be the case, but I just love how full of nature it is, I doubt a few older buildings will put me off. Would you say if you apply for Alcuin or Vanbrugh you’re less likely to be allocated it because of its popularity? I think the philosophy department is in campus west so I’d prefer to be there but I doubt I’d mind the v small commute from east to west if I somehow end up there, it’s just that I doubt my budget will like east accommodation very much😅
How would you say the library resources are? And would you say York is an expensive place to live?
Thanks again, I do feel like I’d be referring to this chat quite a lot - especially when the time to apply is much closer!
Thank you! I figured that would be the case, but I just love how full of nature it is, I doubt a few older buildings will put me off. Would you say if you apply for Alcuin or Vanbrugh you’re less likely to be allocated it because of its popularity? I think the philosophy department is in campus west so I’d prefer to be there but I doubt I’d mind the v small commute from east to west if I somehow end up there, it’s just that I doubt my budget will like east accommodation very much😅
How would you say the library resources are? And would you say York is an expensive place to live?
Thanks again, I do feel like I’d be referring to this chat quite a lot - especially when the time to apply is much closer!

Hey!
I live in Vanbrugh and my accomodation is next to the philosophy department- anything in Donald Barron or Barbara Scott Court (Vanbrugh tier 3 I believe)
There is a bus stop really close to philosophy too, though I speak from experience saying that the best feeling on earth is rolling out of bed to a 9AM lecture at the building next door :laugh:

Hi! I can’t speak on behalf of others, but I personally applied for accommodation the day it opened and I got allocated my 5th choice. I put Vanbrugh and Alcuin (ensuite) as my top 2. So a piece of advice would be to think very long and hard about your accommodation choices and make sure you’d be happy with any of them, don’t assume you’ll get your top 3. I wanted an ensuite and I think at the time, ensuites in Vanbrugh we’re about the same price as shared bathroom in Constantine and Langwith. I was allocated shared bathroom in Constantine but I loved it that much I stopped there for 3 years, reapplying with my friends. My department was in Wentworth so I literally lived the opposite side of campus but I didn’t ever find it a problem! I really enjoyed the short 15-20 min walk and the buses are regular! So don’t let accommodation and department proximity put you off!
The library is brilliant!!!! So many study areas to suit the way you work best and endless amounts of books and research papers.

Generally, I THINK York accommodation is pricier than some other unis, but not by that much. Its not expensive to live in York though, not generally. Depending on where you live now (if you live down South) you’ll find York to be VERY cheap! :smile:
Original post by barror1
Hey!
I live in Vanbrugh and my accomodation is next to the philosophy department- anything in Donald Barron or Barbara Scott Court (Vanbrugh tier 3 I believe)
There is a bus stop really close to philosophy too, though I speak from experience saying that the best feeling on earth is rolling out of bed to a 9AM lecture at the building next door :laugh:

Thank you so much! Ahh I bet, it’ll definitely be such a luxury compared to the bus commute I’ve been doing to get to college😅
Hi! I can’t speak on behalf of others, but I personally applied for accommodation the day it opened and I got allocated my 5th choice. I put Vanbrugh and Alcuin (ensuite) as my top 2. So a piece of advice would be to think very long and hard about your accommodation choices and make sure you’d be happy with any of them, don’t assume you’ll get your top 3. I wanted an ensuite and I think at the time, ensuites in Vanbrugh we’re about the same price as shared bathroom in Constantine and Langwith. I was allocated shared bathroom in Constantine but I loved it that much I stopped there for 3 years, reapplying with my friends. My department was in Wentworth so I literally lived the opposite side of campus but I didn’t ever find it a problem! I really enjoyed the short 15-20 min walk and the buses are regular! So don’t let accommodation and department proximity put you off!
The library is brilliant!!!! So many study areas to suit the way you work best and endless amounts of books and research papers.

Generally, I THINK York accommodation is pricier than some other unis, but not by that much. Its not expensive to live in York though, not generally. Depending on where you live now (if you live down South) you’ll find York to be VERY cheap! :smile:

I’ll definitely keep that in mind :smile: ah you can stay in uni halls for all three years? How common/easy is that?
The distance isn’t too bad at all - it’ll be nice to have distinctive separate places for home and study plus I’m awful with any sort of exercise so it’ll be a brill way to get some steps in😅
Oh I’m glad the library is great, thank you!
Yeah I think it is quite a bit pricey compared to others. I think the cheapest I’ve seen whilst browsing unis is Newcastle (modern en-suites for around £110 if I recall correctly!) but like you said it’s not by that much. I live in Birmingham so perhaps I’ll be more than pleased :smile:
I’ll definitely keep that in mind :smile: ah you can stay in uni halls for all three years? How common/easy is that?
The distance isn’t too bad at all - it’ll be nice to have distinctive separate places for home and study plus I’m awful with any sort of exercise so it’ll be a brill way to get some steps in😅
Oh I’m glad the library is great, thank you!
Yeah I think it is quite a bit pricey compared to others. I think the cheapest I’ve seen whilst browsing unis is Newcastle (modern en-suites for around £110 if I recall correctly!) but like you said it’s not by that much. I live in Birmingham so perhaps I’ll be more than pleased :smile:

Yeah, most people choose to live in houses because it tends to be cheaper but for the ease we stopped in halls and it really worked well for me!! It’s really quite easy to apply to stay in halls. You can apply with a group of friends or alone. I also felt the same, it was great to walk into uni and walk home and really feel like I was going home, not just around the corner!
Yeah, most people choose to live in houses because it tends to be cheaper but for the ease we stopped in halls and it really worked well for me!! It’s really quite easy to apply to stay in halls. You can apply with a group of friends or alone. I also felt the same, it was great to walk into uni and walk home and really feel like I was going home, not just around the corner!

Oh that’s great! I thought it would be very unlikely as they’ll prioritise freshers. Definitely! I’ll have to see, I have a while yet as it’s a decent while before I even have to apply for a course, let alone accommodation. I‘m attempting to know all the unis I’m interested in as inside out as possible, especially as we don’t have the luxury of open days anymore!
this might be too specific, I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the en-suite and the large en-suite, if so is there any specific difference in facilities or just extra space?

thanks in advance.
Original post by zoeyyyyyyyyy
this might be too specific, I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the en-suite and the large en-suite, if so is there any specific difference in facilities or just extra space?

thanks in advance.

I live in a Vanbrugh standard ensuite and it is fine for me! The large en-suites are more or less elusive to me but @Xenocydi has used the very best of his accommodation knowledge to reassure me that '(he has heard) that they are big and they are posh'.
Keep in mind that large ensuite, as an undergraduate, is only available in Halifax college. I am totally fine in my ensuite/wetroom in my accommodation if that is anything to go by!
Edit: Just done some extra digging and it looks like the large ensuites literally just have more floor space and a few small shelves, it is the third room that they show in this video from Wentworth College (around the 1 minute mark)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by barror1
I live in a Vanbrugh standard ensuite and it is fine for me! The large en-suites are more or less elusive to me but @Xenocydi has used the very best of his accommodation knowledge to reassure me that '(he has heard) that they are big and they are posh'.
Keep in mind that large ensuite, as an undergraduate, is only available in Halifax college. I am totally fine in my ensuite/wetroom in my accommodation if that is anything to go by!
Edit: Just done some extra digging and it looks like the large ensuites literally just have more floor space and a few small shelves, it is the third room that they show in this video from Wentworth College (around the 1 minute mark)

wow thanks so much!! really wasn’t expecting such a useful response :smile:
Hi everyone! In reminiscing on uni life I’ve come across this thread.

I am a UoY Philosophy/Linguistics Joint Honours 2018 graduate. I was based in Langwith College for my time, and lived both on and off campus. I was very involved in both Langwith (especially freshers week and student mentoring), and the philosophy department, as well as other societies. If anyone has any questions about anything to do with academia, college life, nightlife etc then please do feel free to ask!

I’m more than happy to reminisce... York was honestly 3 of the best years of my life!
Original post by notcoolnerd
Hi everyone! In reminiscing on uni life I’ve come across this thread.

I am a UoY Philosophy/Linguistics Joint Honours 2018 graduate. I was based in Langwith College for my time, and lived both on and off campus. I was very involved in both Langwith (especially freshers week and student mentoring), and the philosophy department, as well as other societies. If anyone has any questions about anything to do with academia, college life, nightlife etc then please do feel free to ask!

I’m more than happy to reminisce... York was honestly 3 of the best years of my life!

Heya! Is it ok if I add you to the tag list at the top of this post?
On an unrelated note, combined linguistics degrees are clearly the best :wink:
Original post by barror1
Heya! Is it ok if I add you to the tag list at the top of this post?
On an unrelated note, combined linguistics degrees are clearly the best :wink:

Hey! Yeah of course!

And absolutely :wink: how is the linguistics department?

Quick Reply

Latest