The Student Room Group

I'm in college doing Level 1

Hello I'm new here and I want advice.

I study in Newcastle college. Does someone know how long (years) does Higher Education last?

I will be 19 when I want to do level 3 so they recommend me to do HE so that I can go to university. Anyone as another suggestion or path to go ?
It depends on what level 3 course you have chosen/are on.

Level 3 at minimum is 1 year.

Access to HE courses are classes as level 3, take 1 year and get you into university.
Reply 2
Original post by amingo26
It depends on what level 3 course you have chosen/are on.

Level 3 at minimum is 1 year.

Access to HE courses are classes as level 3, take 1 year and get you into university.

Thanks 😊

I want to study architecture in the university. so if I have the opportunity I will choose architecture. Does access to HE have architecture or art and design?

This year ( September 20-21) I will do art and design .
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnrvp
I'm want to do

I want to study architecture in the university. so if I have the opportunity I will choose architecture.

I don't personally know of any architecture courses at level 3 however, I studied a Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment. I went into surveying but some of my other class mates went on to architecture. There are design and CAD units within construction courses.
Reply 4
I don't personally know of any architecture courses at level 3 however, I studied a Level 3 Construction and the Built Environment. I went into surveying but some of my other class mates went on to architecture. There are design and CAD units within construction courses.

Thanks for the advice 😁
Original post by mnrvp
Thanks for the advice 😁

Didn't see the edit on your previous post, sorry! Access to HE has art and design.

Art and design is a good place to start as architecture relies on creativity and building up a portfolio. Save anything you design and create to add to your portfolio even if its rubbish. It shows that you are progressing. When you apply for architecture at university, they will ask for a portfolio of work which you will need to submit to them.

Experiment with different styles and find your niche if you haven't already.

What are your plans for level 2?
Reply 6
Didn't see the edit on your previous post, sorry! Access to HE has art and design.

Art and design is a good place to start as architecture relies on creativity and building up a portfolio. Save anything you design and create to add to your portfolio even if its rubbish. It shows that you are progressing. When you apply for architecture at university, they will ask for a portfolio of work which you will need to submit to them.

Experiment with different styles and find your niche if you haven't already.

What are your plans for level 2?

No problem.

My plan for level 2 is easy. I will continue in Newcastle college but doing art and design with my GCSE , I will try to get as good grades as I can and concentrate on the course.
Original post by mnrvp
No problem.

My plan for level 2 is easy. I will continue in Newcastle college but doing art and design with my GCSE , I will try to get as good grades as I can and concentrate on the course.

Ahhh okay!

It appears as though Newcastle College have a Interior & Architectural Fundamentals - Level 3 (Full-Time) course which would be suited to your level 3 if you plan on continuing.https://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/courses/10437/interior-and-architectural-fundamentals-level-3-full-time. Its equivalent to 3 A-levels so will get you into university.

Just ensure you look at some university entry requirements as some will not accept BTECs and some architecture courses do not accept Level 3 Art and Design. I believe that this is because they require some kind of math and/or science unit which an art and design course will not provide.
Reply 8
Ahhh okay!

It appears as though Newcastle College have a Interior & Architectural Fundamentals - Level 3 (Full-Time) course which would be suited to your level 3 if you plan on continuing.https://www.ncl-coll.ac.uk/courses/10437/interior-and-architectural-fundamentals-level-3-full-time. Its equivalent to 3 A-levels so will get you into university.

Just ensure you look at some university entry requirements as some will not accept BTECs and some architecture courses do not accept Level 3 Art and Design. I believe that this is because they require some kind of math and/or science unit which an art and design course will not provide.

Thanks I didn't know about that .

Can you do level 3 when you're 19?
Original post by mnrvp
Thanks I didn't know about that .

Can you do level 3 when you're 19?

The 'usual' age to start a level 3 is 16.

A-levels are also equivalent to level 3.

Level 2 = GCSE level (usually 15-16 year olds)
Level 3 = A-Level (usually 16-18 year olds)
Level 4 = First year of uni or HNC level
Level 5 = Second year of uni or HND level
Level 6 = Third year of uni

Don't be put off by the ages though, on my Level 3 course I had 40+ year old studying their level 3s. I just put ages as a guide.
Reply 10
The 'usual' age to start a level 3 is 16.

A-levels are also equivalent to level 3.

Level 2 = GCSE level (usually 15-16 year olds)
Level 3 = A-Level (usually 16-18 year olds)
Level 4 = First year of uni or HNC level
Level 5 = Second year of uni or HND level
Level 6 = Third year of uni

Don't be put off by the ages though, on my Level 3 course I had 40+ year old studying their level 3s. I just put ages as a guide.

okay thanks this is a relief for me 😅
Original post by mnrvp
okay thanks this is a relief for me 😅

No worries :smile:

Anything else I might be able to help with?
Reply 12
No worries :smile:

Anything else I might be able to help with?

Not for now. Thanks so much for your help 😊 you help me a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest