The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Ask a Hull Student

Hi there,

We are a small team of Hull Students here to answer any questions you may have about your course, the university, the city or anything else.

Maybe you're wondering if student halls are right for you? what sports teams we offer? how many hours of teaching you're likely to have in a week? or just what Hull students do outside of studying?

Whatever your questions are we're here to answer them!

We are:

Emily 'Millie' - Final year BA Business & Marketing student (with Professional Experience year) orginally from Nottingham. A Course Representative for the Union. Millie undertook a year long placement with Jaguar Land Rover, applying the degree to a real business.

Tom- Second year Bsc Computer Science student originally from Oxford. A member of Canoe & Kayak society. Tom took a few years after his A Levels to decide on his next steps before he chose Hull. He now wishes to apply for a masters at Hull due to enjoying the course and student experience offered.

Emily- A PhD History student orginally from Cambridge. A member of trampolining society. Came to Hull in 2015 and has undertaken her BA, MA and now PhD here. Emily is a Post Graduate Representative for the Union and does not see herself leaving Hull having found a home here.

Emi- A Masters in Music student originally from Brussels, Belgium. A member of Ju-Jitsu Club & Barbershop and A Capella society. Emi started her undergraduate degree here in 2016 at the age of 21, before deciding to complete a masters at Hull. She is currently in the process of applying for Primary Teacher Training

Ask Away! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hiii
Thank you for this :smile:

I wanted to ask about the Westfield Court accommodation. I’m thinking of getting a studio apartment because I’d like my own privacy but I don’t really know how big/small the room is. has anyone here seen the rooms or lives there and if so what’s it like? I wish I could’ve gone to an open day to see
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by annoymous_
hiii

I wanted to ask about the Westfield Court accommodation. I’m thinking of getting a studio apartment because I’d like my own privacy but I don’t really know how big/small the room is. has anyone here seen the rooms or lives there and if so what’s it like? I wish I could’ve gone to an open day to see

Hey,

The range of accommodation which we have at Westfield court and our other sites on campus can be found on our website -https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/student-life/accommodation/

Some of the different room types such as medium studio and large studio have 360 clips which you can see of the rooms as well as some having room plans available also.

I personally have only stayed in Westfield court for a week during a residential which I was helping out with, which we stayed in the en suite rooms. But when i stayed in halls during my first year (way back in 2015/2016), it was a great way to meet people and make friends. And i am sure the other ambassadors would agree with me on that one.

As for missing an open day - we have a virtual tour available on our website so that you can get a look at our campus - https://virtualtour.hull.ac.uk/

Hope this helps

Emily
PhD History
Reply 3
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi there,

We are a small team of Hull Students here to answer any questions you may have about your course, the university, the city or anything else.

Maybe you're wondering if student halls are right for you? what sports teams we offer? how many hours of teaching you're likely to have in a week? or just what Hull students do outside of studying?

Whatever your questions are we're here to answer them!

We are:

Emily 'Millie' - Final year BA Business & Marketing student (with Professional Experience year) orginally from Nottingham. A Course Representative for the Union. Millie undertook a year long placement with Jaguar Land Rover, applying the degree to a real business.

Tom- Second year Bsc Computer Science student originally from Oxford. A member of Canoe & Kayak society. Tom took a few years after his A Levels to decide on his next steps before he chose Hull. He now wishes to apply for a masters at Hull due to enjoying the course and student experience offered.

Emily- A PhD History student orginally from Cambridge. A member of trampolining society. Came to Hull in 2015 and has undertaken her BA, MA and now PhD here. Emily is a Post Graduate Representative for the Union and does not see herself leaving Hull having found a home here.

Emi- A Masters in Music student originally from Brussels, Belgium. A member of Ju-Jitsu Club & Barbershop and A Capella society. Emi started her undergraduate degree here in 2016 at the age of 21, before deciding to complete a masters at Hull. She is currently in the process of applying for Primary Teacher Training

Ask Away! :smile:

Hi i am not a sociable person would halls be right for me?
how do I get a girlfriend
Original post by kmifnn
Hi i am not a sociable person would halls be right for me?

Hi @kmifnn

There are many options available to you in our on-site accommodation to fit a whole range of individuals and their needs.
If you prefer to live with fewer people there are flats which are smaller.
We also have a range of studio styled flats as well.
You can view all our different types of accommodation on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/student-life/accommodation

When I first started university, I was quite shy and would, in many respects, enjoy my own company. I'd much rather be sat outside reading a book in the peace and quiet.
In comparison to now where I believe the largest flat maybe around 8 people, I was living with 26 other individuals in my block and it brought me out of my shell but I appreciate that it isn't for everyone.

The accommodation team at uni are very supportive and if you're having any problems you can talk to them and they can help to try and find a suitable solution.

Hope this helps :smile:

Emily
Original post by annoymous_
hiii

Hi @annoymous_,

Personally I have never stayed in this style of accommodation at Westfield Court, although I am aware that there are different sized studio apartments available: https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/student-life/accommodation/westfield-court. If you would like more details on sizing I would recommend contacting the accomodation team as they will be able to provide you with more information ([email protected]).

Anymore questions then just let us know!

Thanks,

Millie
Reply 7
Hi
I’m buying my supplies for September, I’m going to be staying in Westfield court. Do you know if the hobs are induction or non-induction? Never thought I’d be asking this question, don’t really understand the difference I just know there is one 😂
Original post by Natb1503
Hi
I’m buying my supplies for September, I’m going to be staying in Westfield court. Do you know if the hobs are induction or non-induction? Never thought I’d be asking this question, don’t really understand the difference I just know there is one 😂

Hi @Natb1503

I would recommend getting in touch with the accommodation team, their webpage is here with their contact information listed at the bottom of the page :smile:

Best of luck!

Millie
Student Rep
Hi, I have an interview coming up on Wednesday for social work honours. I am nervous, partly because of the unknown. I have been instructed to read documents in preparation to the interview, but not sure what the written assessment consist of, therefore, not sure where to direct my focus on. Can you give me tips on interview, please? And, where should i direct my focus on in terms of written assessment, please?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Wray-richardson1
Hi, I have an interview coming up on Wednesday for social work honours. I am nervous, partly because of the unknown. I have been instructed to read documents in preparation to the interview, but not sure what the written assessment consist of, therefore, not sure where to direct my focus on. Can you give me tips on interview, please? And, where should i direct my focus on in terms of written assessment, please?

Hi @Wray-richardson1,

Is your interview next Wednesday or the one which has just passed? If you send us a message on this then I am sure we can help point you in the right direction.
Thanks,
Millie
Thank you for your response. Wednesday just passed. Unfortunately, I was not successful. However, I have applied in the clearance section for Psychology and Psychology with Criminology. Wish me luck :smile:
Original post by Wray-richardson1
Thank you for your response. Wednesday just passed. Unfortunately, I was not successful. However, I have applied in the clearance section for Psychology and Psychology with Criminology. Wish me luck :smile:

All the best with your application :smile:
Emily
Hi, received an email stating I have a place. I was requested to add the course on UCAS as clearing and send information. As I am in employment, would you advice that I inform my employer, assuming I will receive an offer?
When students get a congratulation placement email, are they guaranteed unconditional offer?
Also, which team are best to speak to with regards to universal credit etc?
I'm a mature student with children :smile:
Thanks in advance
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, received an email stating I have a place. I was requested to add the course on UCAS as clearing and send information. As I am in employment, would you advice that I inform my employer, assuming I will receive an offer?

Hi there,

I would personally recommend that you do especially if you have a notice period to work! also if you are staying local to the area- it could be beneficial to see if your work could accommodate your shifts so that you could work alongside studying if you wished to do this! If you weren't staying local then they also may be able to help you if you wished to transfer to a different branch (depending on what the job is!).
Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
When students get a congratulation placement email, are they guaranteed unconditional offer?
Also, which team are best to speak to with regards to universal credit etc?
I'm a mature student with children :smile:
Thanks in advance

Hi Anonymous,

When you receive your offer (via email or any other medium), it should tell you the conditions which this offer comes with (and whether it is categorised as a conditional or an unconditional).
With regards to finance I would recommend contacting our finance team, they can be reached at [email protected] or via phone at 01482 463002.
Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
Hi there,

I would personally recommend that you do especially if you have a notice period to work! also if you are staying local to the area- it could be beneficial to see if your work could accommodate your shifts so that you could work alongside studying if you wished to do this! If you weren't staying local then they also may be able to help you if you wished to transfer to a different branch (depending on what the job is!).
Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep

Good morning, thank you. Following up from the previous question. After the verbal offer on Thursday, the condition was that I send my certificates. Which, I have done on the same evening. However, UCAS has not been updated with decision. I rang admission team, the lady informed me that a decision has not been made, it's with a lead tutor for consideration, and may take 2 weeks before I hear back from the department. I made her aware that I have had a verbal decision on Thursday, she insisted a decision has not been made. I'm concerned, are the clearance admissions and admissions two different department? Can a decision be reversed after a confirmation email?
Good morning, thank you. Following up from the previous question. After the verbal offer on Thursday, the condition was that I send my certificates. Which, I have done on the same evening. However, UCAS has not been updated with decision. I rang admission team, the lady informed me that a decision has not been made, it's with a lead tutor for consideration, and may take 2 weeks before I hear back from the department. I made her aware that I have had a verbal decision on Thursday, she insisted a decision has not been made. I'm concerned, are the clearance admissions and admissions two different department? Can a decision be reversed after a confirmation email?

Hi again,
Unfortunately I do not work in the admissions department so I cannot check on your application directly however if you email [email protected] then they should be able to provide you with some clarity- it may also be worth attaching a screenshot of the confirmation email which you received.
Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi again,
Unfortunately I do not work in the admissions department so I cannot check on your application directly however if you email [email protected] then they should be able to provide you with some clarity- it may also be worth attaching a screenshot of the confirmation email which you received.
Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep

Very helpful, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest