The Student Room Group

GCSEs grades

Hi guys! I am moving to the UK, and my future sixth form college will most likely require an equivalent of GCSEs from my home country. The only problem is, we get percentage as a result, not 9-1 grades. What percentage is Grade 4 (maths?) I am asking because I did pretty bad on the math section and I just want to make sure I'll get accepted. Thanks guys!

edit: I've checked my math score and I've just noticed the "result card" says that: "45% of people got the same or lower result". Do you think that would be comparable to Grade 4 in GCSE or I am going to have a problem?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There probably won't be a very direct translation of percentages but your college will probably be able to find out how strong your percentages are relative to people in your country to see whether you're of the standard to get in. The chances are you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Possibly this
There probably won't be a very direct translation of percentages but your college will probably be able to find out how strong your percentages are relative to people in your country to see whether you're of the standard to get in. The chances are you should be fine.

Thank you for the answer! My math score is just 9% less than the average so if they do it I guess I should be okay as you say. Hopefully because it just makes me go crazy recently, I am stressed just waiting for them to call me because I am awaiting an interview. Hopefully future uni also won't have problem with that, but I am gonna worry about that in two years :P
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Maybe someone was in a similar situation?
Reply 4
Original post by bart2333
Hi guys! I am moving to the UK, and my future sixth form college will most likely require equivalent of GCSEs from my home country. The only problem is, we get percentage as a result, not 9-1 grades. What percentage is Grade 4 (maths?) I am asking because I did pretty bad on the math section and I just want to make sure I'll get accepted. Thanks guys!

LAST GCSE, the one from 2019, grade 7 ranged from 50% to something like 70%. This information isn't useful to you I think though so sorry : (
What is your home country?
Reply 6
Original post by limitlesspuffy
What is your home country?

Poland
Grade 4 is like 40% I swear
Reply 8
Original post by β0b
LAST GCSE, the one from 2019, grade 7 ranged from 50% to something like 70%. This information isn't useful to you I think though so sorry : (

It is useful! That means Grade 4 was like a really low percentage, but now, I am really confused how the college is going to look at my qualifications.
Look at grade boundaries on here:
https://mathsbot.com/gcse/boundaries
On here it shows that for the AQA June 2019 exam, Grade 4 is 18%
For the Edexcel June 2019 exam, Grade 4 is 22%
For the Eduqas June 2019 it was 15%
For the OCR june 2019 it was 23%
Look at the sixth form college's website that you are applying to and see what exam board they use. Then you can get a rough idea with these percentages
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by limitlesspuffy
Look at grade boundaries on here:
https://mathsbot.com/gcse/boundaries
On here it shows that for the AQA June 2019 exam, Grade 4 is 18%
For the Edexcel June 2019 exam, Grade 4 is 22%

Thank you! I really appreciate it. My result wasn't perfect but safely higher than that. Hopefully they will actually compare it to the GCSEs percentages🙏
Hi guys! I am moving to the UK, and my future sixth form college will most likely require an equivalent of GCSEs from my home country. The only problem is, we get percentage as a result, not 9-1 grades. What percentage is Grade 4 (maths?) I am asking because I did pretty bad on the math section and I just want to make sure I'll get accepted. Thanks guys!

At the end of the day, if your maths score isn't considered to be equivalent to a GCSE you will still be able to go to sixth-form form. It's really not the end of the world.
You would have to do a 1 year GCSE maths 'retake' course alongside your A-Levels. Lots of people end up having to do the retake course.
Reply 12
Original post by glassalice
At the end of the day, if your maths score isn't considered to be equivalent to a GCSE you will still be able to go to sixth-form form. It's really not the end of the world.
You would have to do a 1 year GCSE maths 'retake' course alongside your A-Levels. Lots of people end up having to do the retake course.

Sounds great, good to know. Thank you guys all for all the answers! I really appreciate it!
Reply 13
Update guys! I've checked my math score and I've just noticed the "result card" says that: "45% of people got the same or lower result". Do you think that would be comparable to Grade 4 in GCSE or I am going to have a problem?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
bump
Update guys! I've checked my math score and I've just noticed the "result card" says that: "45% of people got the same or lower result". Do you think that would be comparable to Grade 4 in GCSE or I am going to have a problem?

I would imagine that would be a 4 as according to bstubbs.co.uk just under 60% of GCSE Maths students get a 4 or higher (59.8% in 2018). So you need to be in the 41st percentile at least to pass, if you are equal to or higher than 45% of people, that puts you more around the 45th percentile, putting you well within the grade 4 parameters.
Reply 16
Original post by Possibly this
I would imagine that would be a 4 as according to bstubbs.co.uk just under 60% of GCSE Maths students get a 4 or higher (59.8% in 2018). So you need to be in the 41st percentile at least to pass, if you are equal to or higher than 45% of people, that puts you more around the 45th percentile, putting you well within the grade 4 parameters.

Great! Thank you for doing the research for me, really appreciate that.
Thank you! I really appreciate it. My result wasn't perfect but safely higher than that. Hopefully they will actually compare it to the GCSEs percentages🙏

English grade boundaries are for a completely different exam - they won;t help at all.

Poland' average can't be compared to the UK either.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
English grade boundaries are for a completely different exam - they won;t help at all.

Poland' average can't be compared to the UK either.

Yep I guess no one really knows what the college is going to do. I will update you guys what they're gonna do after the interview.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yep I guess no one really knows what the college is going to do. I will update you guys what they're gonna do after the interview.

Good luck and hope the comparison works well for you.

https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/ might be able to help.

Quick Reply

Latest