The Student Room Group

Official Eurovision Come Together + Shine a Light discussion thread

Eurovision is calling!

Welcome to the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest thread :party:

18/05/2020 (today) - that time of year again where we all sit in front the TV and try and guess what crazy things will happen in this years contest.... maybe there'll be a stage invasion... maybe null point for the UK.... or no contest whatsoever :shock: :cry2: :cry:

HOWEVER, there's still going to be a load of alternate Eurovision-ey coverage to look forward to :party:
more info below :thumbsup:

Eurovision: Come Together - starting at 6:25pm BBC One
quote: 'This tv show will give Eurovision fans the opportunity to vote for their favourite song of all time. The songs of question were chosen from a panel of judges.

:music: The list of songs which will go head to head are as follows:

'Dancing Lasha Tumbai' Verka Serduchka (Ukraine), 2007
'Diva' Dana International (Israel), 1998
'Euphoria' Loreen (Sweden), 2012
'Fairytale' Alexander Rybak (Norway), 2009
'Fuego' Eleni Foureira (Cyprus), 2018
'Heroes' Måns Zelmerlöw (Sweden), 2015
'Love Shine A Light' Katrina & The Waves (UK), 1997
'Making Your Mind Up' Bucks Fizz (UK), 1981
'Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu' Domenico Modugno (Italy), 1958
'Ooh…Aah…Just A Little Bit' Gina G (UK), 1996
'Poupée de cire, poupée de son' France Gall (Luxembourg), 1965
'Rhythm Inside' Loïc Nottet (Belgium), 2015
'Rise Like A Phoenix' Conchita Wurst (Austria), 2014
'Satellite' Lena (Germany), 2010
'Save Your Kisses for Me' Brotherhood of Man (UK), 1976
'Soldi' Mahmood (Italy), 2019
'Sound of Silence' Dami Im (Australia), 2016
'Toy' Netta (Israel), 2018
'Waterloo' ABBA (Sweden), 1974
:fight:
more info: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a32484138/eurovision-come-together-songs-2020-shortlist/

Eurovision: Shine a Light (the main event) BBC ONE, 8:00PM

EBU statement: 'The time is finally here! After 6 weeks of preparation, Eurovision: Europe Shine A Light will be broadcast tomorrow, 16 May, at 21:00 CEST. In place of what would have been Rotterdam's Grand Final, the show will celebrate the artists chosen for 2020.

.The show was envisioned to honour the 41 selected delegates from the participating countries of 2020 in a non-competitive format. Aside from celebrating their entries, the show will also bring them together, from their locations across Europe, in a unifying performance of Eurovision 1997's Love Shine A Light by Katrina And The Waves.'
https://eurovision.tv/story/what-to-expect-for-eurovision-europe-shine-a-light

(non competitively of course :yes:)
* A TV licence is required to watch BBC live broadcasts

Feel free to join in with the discussion if you're watching :grouphugs:

so:

Who's excited? :woo:
Any favourite entries? :smile:
What's your favourite entry from previous years? - feel free to post it!
Thoughts on the UK entry for this year? (James Newman would have represented the UK)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chronoscope
x

Ooh hello! Posting to watch :woohoo:
I hope to watch this although yet unsure if it will be live :beard: we're having a roast chicken meal tonight :colondollar:
Edit: Loic's song is amazing as is Loreen! Hated the Fuego one. Toy is great. I hope Rhythm inside wins though, classic!
(edited 3 years ago)
Tagging people who might be interested :grouphugs:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Ooh hello! Posting to watch :woohoo:
I hope to watch this although yet unsure if it will be live :beard: we're having a roast chicken meal tonight :colondollar:
Edit: Loic's song is amazing as is Loreen! Hated the Fuego one. Toy is great. I hope Rhythm inside wins though, classic!

Ooh roast chicken :yum: yummy :awesome:
Feel free to pop in if you have time :hugs:
Tagging people who might be interested in the eurovision replacement:grouphugs:

Spoiler

Isn't TheLonelyGoatherd contractually, morally and academically obliged to participate in all things Eurovision?
Original post by threeportdrift
Isn't TheLonelyGoatherd contractually, morally and academically obliged to participate in all things Eurovision?

My utmost apologies :redface:
eurovision = life :gah:
@The_Lonely_Goatherd :hugs:
My utmost apologies :redface:
eurovision = life :gah:
@The_Lonely_Goatherd :hugs:

I don't follow much on TSR, but there are some foundational truths that EVERYONE knows!
Oh no this song :lol: :rofl:
Sieben sieben ein zwei
Whooop whoop
Do do do do do do
DneTAe_X0AAP1Tn.jpg
18/05/2020 (today)

Well that was a fast weekend. :frown:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Well that was a fast weekend. :frown:

#weekendstillexists :borat: :yes:
The lack of this outdated contest which allows people to voice petty hatred for other countries is one of the few good things to come out of this pandemic.

Watch something else.

:innocent:

I haven't watched Eurovision properly since before I went to Oxford (so like, latest 2007) :eek2: This is partly why a lot of the ABBA fans I work with don't regard me as a true ABBA fan :getmecoat:

:tongue:
Starting :danceboy:
:undefined:party
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I haven't watched Eurovision properly since before I went to Oxford (so like, latest 2007) :eek2: This is partly why a lot of the ABBA fans I work with don't regard me as a true ABBA fan :getmecoat:

:tongue:

But surely you had to check that Waterloo was nailed on to win the 'best of'? Or maybe you were just so confident ...
But surely you had to check that Waterloo was nailed on to win the 'best of'? Or maybe you were just so confident ...

I was very confident :smug:

Spoiler

Aww Katrina and the Waves dog was so cute :heart:
Tagging people who might be interested in the eurovision replacement:grouphugs:

Spoiler

Replacement?! a new date for Eurovision song contest so fast?!?! tell me everything you know.
Tagging people who might be interested :grouphugs:

Spoiler

How did I come to be associated with Eurovision :puke:
Original post by Kallisto
Replacement?! a new date for Eurovision song contest so fast?!?! tell me everything you know.

Sadly not (I wish though) :cry2: :penguinhug: I think the aim of tonights Eurovision Shine a Light was honouring the songs which would never be shown since they have to choose new ones for next years Eurovision (which will still be hosted in Rotterdam
Sadly not (I wish though) :cry2: :penguinhug: I think the aim of tonights Eurovision Shine a Light was honouring the songs which would never be shown since they have to choose new ones for next years Eurovision (which will still be hosted in Rotterdam

In other words the cards are shuffled completely new in 2021 and this is just a nice gesture to listen to the songs they will never published in 2020.

Quick Reply

Latest