The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
There's been talk of having schools open over the summer holidays in some capacity, probably in an effort to allow pupils to catch up for what they've missed so far.

I sense that going down like a lead balloon.
Reply 41
Like teachers want that, like pupils want that.

Maybe they could just you know do online classes until things get better again. Also **** me the internet is there you can learn everything. You telling me there isn't a digital software where kids can learn their times tables?
Original post by bj27
Basically people are ****ing lazy.

It's really not hard to learn from home and to make your kid learn from home. Especially since the parents are going to be working from home or furloughed. You tell them no PS4 until they've done their sums and check up on them.

Exactly. My family member was telling me about the phone calls she gets from parents talking about how their child is over-worked, stressed and anxious.. because they have about 2 hours to do a day at home. Its just a lot of nonsense, but the teachers are stuck. When she went to her manager, to talk about it, they told her just to let the parent know that the work is optional and the student doesn't have to do any of it if they don't want to.

Original post by Smack
There's been talk of having schools open over the summer holidays in some capacity, probably in an effort to allow pupils to catch up for what they've missed so far.

I can't imagine teachers supporting this. They already don't want schools to be open, and if its in the summer its taking away their holiday - Maybe for double pay or so you would get some interested.
Original post by bj27
Like teachers want that, like pupils want that.

Maybe they could just you know do online classes until things get better again. Also **** me the internet is there you can learn everything. You telling me there isn't a digital software where kids can learn their times tables?

One of the big tech problems is that schools in the UK, from what I've heard from teachers, are very very reluctant to embrace smartphones and apps. They still want things to be done on computers/laptops because they percieve it to be more appropriate, safer, less of a privacy risk etc.

The problem though is that smartphones are just so much more convenient. There are already so many online teaching platforms available for them, and most households have more than 1 smartphone, meaning you avoid the issue of people sharing computers. Smartphones/apps are also much easier to understand and get up and running, compared to asking parents to download software on their laptop, or configuring webcams on desktop PCs. Smartphones just have everything all ready to go.
Original post by fallen_acorns
One of the big tech problems is that schools in the UK, from what I've heard from teachers, are very very reluctant to embrace smartphones and apps. They still want things to be done on computers/laptops because they percieve it to be more appropriate, safer, less of a privacy risk etc.

The problem though is that smartphones are just so much more convenient. There are already so many online teaching platforms available for them, and most households have more than 1 smartphone, meaning you avoid the issue of people sharing computers. Smartphones/apps are also much easier to understand and get up and running, compared to asking parents to download software on their laptop, or configuring webcams on desktop PCs. Smartphones just have everything all ready to go.

It's not just schools - universities are still over-absorbed in the desktop.

In many ways, the UK educational sector is mindstuck in 1995. Viva la revolucion!
When do we think fans and large gatherings will be able to happen again. I just can't see it not happening until 2021 or until there is a vaccine. We are entering into another day and there is still no news about a vaccine, still no news about what will happen if there isn't a vaccine.

These scientists need to be real with us, either tell us if there is going to be a vaccine or open up the country again, we can't be sitting doing nothing for 18 months
Original post by changedman27
When do we think fans and large gatherings will be able to happen again. I just can't see it not happening until 2021 or until there is a vaccine. We are entering into another day and there is still no news about a vaccine, still no news about what will happen if there isn't a vaccine.

These scientists need to be real with us, either tell us if there is going to be a vaccine or open up the country again, we can't be sitting doing nothing for 18 months

There was a large gathering in Hyde Park yesterday.
Original post by TigerRoll
There was a large gathering in Hyde Park yesterday.

I mean a large gathering that the police would not arrest you for, I saw those poor people there and maybe getting arrested for having their freedom taken away. When will large gatherings actually happen again, you know who I feel sorry for, students this year at Freshers, they will never be able to have Freshers like they wanted.
I mean a large gathering that the police would not arrest you for, I saw those poor people there and maybe getting arrested for having their freedom taken away. When will large gatherings actually happen again, you know who I feel sorry for, students this year at Freshers, they will never be able to have Freshers like they wanted.

Oooh sorry you should have been more specific.

Sure they can, they can gatecrash a freshers event.
Original post by TigerRoll
Oooh sorry you should have been more specific.

Sure they can, they can gatecrash a freshers event.

What on earth are you talking about gatecrashing a freshers event. I am asking a question and you are not taking me seriously. So I ask again when will large public gatherings be allowed again, when will we find out about a vaccine and when will the scientists actually get moving and get one that works because it seems they are not doing anything.

I wish there would be the recognition that it is going to be a long time. Germany banned large events at least until the end of October and France until September. Allow people to plan, not spend money that will be difficult to get back, and also give the police and other emergency services a break given their response to the virus (clapping each week is good, but this would be a practical step to say thank you).
Original post by barnetlad
I wish there would be the recognition that it is going to be a long time. Germany banned large events at least until the end of October and France until September. Allow people to plan, not spend money that will be difficult to get back, and also give the police and other emergency services a break given their response to the virus (clapping each week is good, but this would be a practical step to say thank you).

Clapping each week is the most stupid thing I can imagine, seriously thank them for doing what, why on earth are we thanking them, they are doing their job. You don't see people clapping for me for actually sacrificing my life with not seeing my friends or not having fun. And what do you mean allow people to plan, plan for what?
Reply 52
What on earth are you talking about gatecrashing a freshers event. I am asking a question and you are not taking me seriously. So I ask again when will large public gatherings be allowed again, when will we find out about a vaccine and when will the scientists actually get moving and get one that works because it seems they are not doing anything.

@Occitanie
No 2.
Or as others would say.
:troll:
(edited 3 years ago)

Um, why don't you actually be kind to people like me who are suffering. We actually want to here some positive news, so go on tell me, what positive news have you seen today, what light at the end of the tunnel have you found today because I can't see any.

Real mature calling me a troll. Why do you think I am a troll. I want to see my friends again, I want to be able to go to a sports match, I want to be able to go to the cinema, the beach and to start driving lessons. I don't want to be sitting on my arse not being able to do anything
(edited 3 years ago)
Um, why don't you actually be kind to people like me who are suffering. We actually want to here some positive news, so go on tell me, what positive news have you seen today, what light at the end of the tunnel have you found today because I can't see any.

Real mature calling me a troll. Why do you think I am a troll. I want to see my friends again, I want to be able to go to a sports match, I want to be able to go to the cinema, the beach and to start driving lessons. I don't want to be sitting on my arse not being able to do anything

Look we all have to "sacrifice" something, **** happens. It's part of being in a society. Be grateful to those working in the front lines protecting you and yours. They're making the real sacrifices here, some of which pay with their lives. This is no joke.
Original post by Pathway
Look we all have to "sacrifice" something, **** happens. It's part of being in a society. Be grateful to those working in the front lines protecting you and yours. They're making the real sacrifices here, some of which pay with their lives. This is no joke.

How are they protecting me, Its not going affect me. We are not just sacrificing small things, this is huge this is massive and we are not being told when it will be over.

In my opinion the country should open up now, pubs, clubs, schools, unis, sports, concerts should be able to open. Mental health would go right down, yes people might die but that's just life to be honest. Mental health is more important, our future is more important.
How are they protecting me, Its not going affect me. We are not just sacrificing small things, this is huge this is massive and we are not being told when it will be over.

In my opinion the country should open up now, pubs, clubs, schools, unis, sports, concerts should be able to open. Mental health would go right down, yes people might die but that's just life to be honest. Mental health is more important, our future is more important.

They do protect you, by default. Even if you don't realise it. This is for the greater good, you're just too self-absorbed to see it.

Do you realise the trauma that it causes when people die by things like this? Constantly plastered all over the news? Being unable to attend the funeral? Or if your teacher dies? Parent? That sort of thing for a young person is incredibly difficult. For anybody, this would be incredibly difficult. What about that aspect of mental health? It's not just as simple as opening the country again. There is a part of the work force that still won't be able to go back to work, either due to being in the vulnerable category or the extremely vulnerable category, or shielding someone else. What will happen to their roles? This isn't as simple as you seem to think it is. There has to be a minimum number of staff for schools to be open. Where my mum works a sizeable proportion of the work force cannot currently work as they're shielding themselves or someone else, who will make sure it's safe for the students if there aren't enough teachers and support staff? Her school is not the only one like this.

I get that it sucks that you can't see your friends or you can't go out whenever you please, but this isn't just about you.
Reply 57

Neither do I want to be sitting on my buttocks but that's life sometimes.
Clapping each week is the most stupid thing I can imagine, seriously thank them for doing what, why on earth are we thanking them, they are doing their job. You don't see people clapping for me for actually sacrificing my life with not seeing my friends or not having fun. And what do you mean allow people to plan, plan for what?

Plan ahead with the certainty that some things won't be open. So you don't plan to go on holiday to somewhere for an event, only to find it is cancelled later on. Or even just plan the time off for that event.

There are people who have booked holidays and the balance is due, and given how difficult it has been to get refunds, have the choice of committing more money, or losing a deposit. If you knew about the plan for 14 day quarantine, when it would take effect, for how long, and from which countries it is exempt, you could decide with some knowledge.

The government has been so bad in planning that you have no real clue whether or not schools will re-open on 1 June for some children. So parents cannot let their employer know if they will be affected or not.

One of the things that harms mental health is uncertainty. So deciding a minimum period of closure as the Germans and French have done for large scale events is in a way helpful to mental health, as it brings certainty. I had wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Munich this year, but the decision to cancel has been made, so I do not waste money and time any more.

Latest

Trending

Trending