The Student Room Group

Alevel art

I’m starting my unit three art alevel in the next few weeks and need ideas for themes. It can be anything but it has to be something we can write about as we also have to do an essay, we also have to form our own question.

Eg. “How has architecture changed over the past 100 years” and “how can mental health be visually represented”.

I don’t want to do anything involving portraits and it has to be something I can get my own imagery of relatively easily, any ideas?
Original post by armiller
I’m starting my unit three art alevel in the next few weeks and need ideas for themes. It can be anything but it has to be something we can write about as we also have to do an essay, we also have to form our own question.

Eg. “How has architecture changed over the past 100 years” and “how can mental health be visually represented”.

I don’t want to do anything involving portraits and it has to be something I can get my own imagery of relatively easily, any ideas?

“What do our dreams really mean ?” Or is that too abstract

Those are questions are waaaaaay too vague. Go for something more alot more specific.

Do you have any experience of a mental health problem? Either your own experience or a close family members.
If you don't, I struggle to see how you could come up with anything particularly meaningful. Basically mental health is 'fashionable at the moment' and half + of your class is going to do something on it.

If you decide to do something on mental health, do something outside the relms of the usual.
Psycosis and art can be interesting OR even try looking at 'outsider art' done by people with developmental disabilities/ brain injury.

If you decide to not do something on mental health, do something that is unusual and that you are personally interested in. Again it needs to be specific.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by glassalice
Those are questions are waaaaaay too vague. Go for something more alot more specific.

Do you have any experience of a mental health problem? Either your own experience or a close family members.
If you don't, I struggle to see how you could come up with anything particularly meaningful. Basically mental health is 'fashionable at the moment' and half + of your class is going to do something on it.

If you decide to do something on mental health, do something outside the relms of the usual.
Psycosis and art can be interesting OR even try looking at 'outsider art' done by people with developmental disabilities/ brain injury.

If you decide to not do something on mental health, do something that is unusual and that you are personally interested in. Again it needs to be specific.

Hi, yeah it is something personal which is my reason for it and I’ve spoken to my class and no one else is doing it, someone else last year did it on psychopathy I was mostly looking into doing how mental illnesscould be picked up through body language and physical behaviour rather than words and emotion.

I was struggling to think of anything I feel strongly about enough other than mental health
Reply 4
Original post by hustlr
“What do our dreams really mean ?” Or is that too abstract

I considered something about dreams/nightmares and comparisons but I have to be able to get my own imagery and things like that so I have a bad feeling it may be a bit too abstract
I considered something about dreams/nightmares and comparisons but I have to be able to get my own imagery and things like that so I have a bad feeling it may be a bit too abstract

Yeah I know what you mean, but often we don’t dream in complete abstraction, we dream about real life objects and things, but in illogical circumstances and situations, so that could be a balanced mix of reality and abstract, just a thought. If you still have that bad feeling you might as well bin the idea
Hi, yeah it is something personal which is my reason for it and I’ve spoken to my class and no one else is doing it, someone else last year did it on psychopathy I was mostly looking into doing how mental illnesscould be picked up through body language and physical behaviour rather than words and emotion.

I was struggling to think of anything I feel strongly about enough other than mental health

If you feel strongly about it... go for it!!!

At the arts college that my friend goes to EVERYONE is doing something about mental health, so I assumed A-Level would be the same.
Do you just want to focus on someone's physical expression of their mental health/ emotional state OR how a body language changes due to mental illness?
The body language thing is interesting, different mental health conditions are directly associated with different changes in physical movement.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending