The Student Room Group

Is black a skin colour or race?

So I'm confused as to whether black is a skin Colour or race. For me my skin colour is dark caramel and a lot of people think I'm black, some people call me half cast but am actually half black and half white so my skin colour doesn't really define my race as I am of two races, the white race and black race and I've noticed some other mixed race people look black and some black people acc look mixed but I've always bin told black Is a race but some people say its a skin colour
But contrary black is black and white is white and surely mixed is mixed (caramel, half caste, quarter caste or three quarter caste)

I call myself whack cus I'm black and white, I have white family and black family therefore I am neither black or white but a mixture of both
my mum and dad refer to me as mixed race, dual heritage or sometimes half cast but they don't really like that word I think

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chemgem69
So I'm confused as to whether black is a skin Colour or race. For me my skin colour is dark caramel and a lot of people think I'm black, some people call me half cast but am actually half black and half white so my skin colour doesn't really define my race as I am of two races, the white race and black race and I've noticed some other mixed race people look black and some black people acc look mixed but I've always bin told black Is a race but some people say its a skin colour
But contrary black is black and white is white and surely mixed is mixed (caramel, half caste, quarter caste or three quarter caste)

I call myself whack cus I'm black and white, I have white family and black family therefore I am neither black or white but a mixture of both
my mum and dad refer to me as mixed race, dual heritage or sometimes half cast but they don't really like that word I think

Even I know you don't say 'half-caste' any longer.
Black is a race, not a colour. Just like Europeans are called white based on their race and not colour.
Reply 3
Original post by Cheval Noire
Black is a race, not a colour. Just like Europeans are called white based on their race and not colour.

OK so I'm not black but I look black 🤔
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Even I know you don't say 'half-caste' any longer.

Lots of people still use it though and I don't find it offensive it's not like the n word really
OK so I'm not black but I look black 🤔

No, you're mixed race.
Lots of people still use it though and I don't find it offensive it's not like the n word really

I used to say but stopped when I learnt that in half caste the caste means pure so you’re basically calling someone half pure which I think personally is wrong
It's called the *One drop rule* back in the olden days they would consider any person with black admixture to be black even now to some extent.

Black genetics tend to be more dominant too which is why you'll see a lot of mixed-race people that bare more resemblance with their black counterparts.

You're mixed race.
Reply 8
Original post by Tsranonymous123
I used to say but stopped when I learnt that in half caste the caste means pure so you’re basically calling someone half pure which I think personally is wrong

Am not pure black or pure white kinda makes sense donnit?
It's a race and a shared cultural heritage. The colours range from quite pale to very dark brown. There are white Mediterraneans darker than some black people and there are Indians just as dark as the very dark black people, so it's not really about the actual colour.
Reply 10
Original post by Black Cat
It's called the *One drop rule* back in the olden days they would consider any person with black admixture to be black even now to some extent.

Black genetics tend to be more dominant too which is why you'll see a lot of mixed-race people that bare more resemblance with their black counterparts.

You're mixed race.

Yeah true black is a strong gene, I just wanted to clarify but it doesn't really matter how people describe me cez I know my racial background so it's not an identity issue
haha im mixed race but since i have black in me im black XD
Reply 12
Original post by karelina
It's a race and a shared cultural heritage. The colours range from quite pale to very dark brown. There are white Mediterraneans darker than some black people and there are Indians just as dark as the very dark black people, so it's not really about the actual colour.

True and you don't wanna call someone summat their not ie the wrong race as its offensive to people ain't it?
I was literally thinking the same thing. People tend to call mixed race people black and Idk why this is the case.
I think mixed race are mIxEd Race not bLaCk not wHiTe but at the end of the day it’s all up to the individual to pick what they want to identify as
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tenacity Deshad
I was literally thinking the same thing. People tend to call mixed race people black and Idk why this is the case.
I think mixed race are mIxEd Race not bLaCk not wHiTe but at the end of the day it’s all up to the individual to pick what they want to identify as

I’m mix race and although i feel white, I don’t exactly look white so I just say mix race to avoid confusion
There’s loads and loads of black ethnic groups that people seem to forget. Somalians arent similar to Nigerians for example
You are not mixed race or anything. Races do not exist among humans. Homo Sapiens did not split up into races.
Black is not a skin colour. It is a definition made by narrow minded humans in the past. Black also included in the past people from Asia or in general anone outside europe or the russians.
HUmans come in different skin tones. It is the same as with hair and eye color. In some area in the world you will find the majority of people having a similar skin tone, distinguishing them from people in other areas, but no skin tone is exclusive to a group of people.
Also nowadays Black means, that you are a descendend of slaves from Africa. Not all African have been victims to slave trade.
My parents are from Africa, therefore I am not 'black', but most people will call me black although it is wrong.
The term black was also used to make the slaves forget where they come from and who they are, to break their confidens.
THe skin tone of human can drastically vary from its parents skin tone, same as the hair or eye color.
This is not due to genes directly. People with blue, green, gray and brown eyes can in general have the same genes which regulate the eye color, but the outcome can be different. This is called epigenetic. There are 'switches' which regulate how strong a gene will be expressed. People with darker hair, or darker skin tones, or darker eyes express the gene for the production of melanin in those areas simply higher then people with lighter feateres.
Also blue eyes are not a result of different genes. It is just a lower expression of melanin production in the cells of the eyes.
You will find all around the world people with all types of combination. Unfortunatley Holloywood just cast steraotypes and many people believe this is a reflection of how the world really looks like. But this is wrong.
HAve you seen Black Panther? THe actors were mainly Americans (except Lupita) and for me with a relation to Africa, they do not look like Africans. But other people won't notice this as they concider dark skin and curly hair wih Africa. (The afro americans are a mixe of Africans, Europeans and people from Asia and you can see the mix, but it is NOT A RACIAL MIX. We are all mixed people)

What a lot of people in the world also tend to believe is, that all people with dark skin and curly hair are Africans or origanally from Africa, but this is wrong. You find also people with dark skin and curly hair in Southern Asia and they are not Africans. One example are the people from Papua New Guinea. They are not Africans, but many people think this is Africa.

Ok, bak to race. Race is a result of inbreeding. HUmans are extremly sensitive to inbreeding and do not do this in general. Dogs come in different races. This is because humans inbreed dogs. They breed parent dogs with their own offsprings to create new featueres. Those dog races are kind of 'disabled' sub speciess of the wolf. They are less healthy then wolfs and also mentaly a bit degenerated compared to wolfs. Dogs are also used for science to find genes which are responsible for certain deseases. This can be done as each dog race has certain deseases which they are suffering from soon or later due to their 'inbreed' genome.
All poodles come from the same family tree, so do all susage dogs and so on and the family tree started with just a few individuals that were cross breas over and over again.

So after hearing this, who wants to be a memeber of a Race?

Africa has the most diverse genome. Two Africans are less likely to be related with each other or genetically similar compared to humans of other parts of the world. My parents are both from the same country but different ethnicity, which makes me mixed and Africans struggle to determine where I come from as I do not look like a specific ethnicity in Africa as I am mixed. Nevertheless for the rest of the world I am black or a typical African.

You see who you are depends on where you are and who you talk to.
There is also a debate about Arab people being white or an other race. I America they are white as they do not have a classification for Middle Eastern people. Those classification have been created in times were there were simply not a lot settlers from middle east. The focus was on European people and the native Americans by the time. And now there are debates that people From North AFrican and middle Eastern origing should be included in this thing they call BAME to help them fight discrimination.

SO you see it is all a huge bogus nonsense.
France removed the word Race fom its constitution, which is very good. Even Darwin was shocked that people started to apply about races on humans. One of Darwins Mentors was one of the dark skinned people in the world and Darwin was a fighter against slavery and the discrimination of non white people.

A lot of people have tried to prove the existens of human races, but by doing this interestingly always proved the oposit. There are no races among humans.
A race is a subspecies. Again! WHO wants to be a subspcies of Homo Sapiens? Please let me know!

Again, you are not mixed, You are 100% normal human. These were stupid white men in the past who only wanted the world to believe they are the crown of evolution.

The north European where for hundreds of years too far away from Africa and therefore not used to see people that looked too different from themselfs. THey were confused when they discovered other people. Whereas the south Europeans especially the Greeks where in contact with Africa. Greek intellectuals were disgusted by the North Europeans hysteria about how other people look like. Don't forget we are talking about people who burned their own family members, Friends and neighbours if they had red hair. So what do you expect them to do when they saw people with different skin tones and hair texture.
Clearly they wanted to start a fire instinctivily. (ok the last sentence is a joke :smile: )

Humans always split apart, migrated and then merged with others all around the world. This is what differs us from animals.

Again and again: You are not mixed race! No one is. This is just a lable that the society you live in gives you and you decided to use it. But it is not the reality.

If you want to find out who you are do not listen to the others.

Also a misconception a lot of American have is, that the darker you are the more African you are and the other way around. THis is wrong. Africa has all skin tones.
DO you understand now why you go tconfused that some people were not who you would have (due to their skin tone) thought they would be?
Because you did not know the truth and therefore got confused.
IF you ever wont to be confident with who you are, then you must understand that Race and the label mixed or whatever is not based on the reality. It is based on some peoples urgent need to discriminate and label people. The world is a complex place and for some people this is frightend. Therefore they tend to create weird ideas also about other people and this is the base of all the hate and some terror of our world.
Do not participate in this. Also it is so much more fascinating when you see the world in all its complexity.
Also a dog looks at us and things, they look all the same, but some are darker and some are lighter, thicker or thinner, longer or shorter. That is all the dog would see as we are one specie without subspecies..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Toscana
There’s loads and loads of black ethnic groups that people seem to forget. Somalians arent similar to Nigerians for example

Yh but they are still black. They aren’t a different race or mixed race
Original post by FunnyBerry
You are not mixed race or anything. Races do not exist among humans. Homo Sapiens did not split up into races.
Black is not a skin colour. It is a definition made by narrow minded humans in the past. Black also included in the past people from Asia or in general anone outside europe or the russians.
HUmans come in different skin tones. It is the same as with hair and eye color. In some area in the world you will find the majority of people having a similar skin tone, distinguishing them from people in other areas, but no skin tone is exclusive to a group of people.
Also nowadays Black means, that you are a descendend of slaves from Africa. Not all African have been victims to slave trade.
My parents are from Africa, therefore I am not 'black', but most people will call me black although it is wrong.
The term black was also used to make the slaves forget where they come from and who they are, to break their confidens.
THe skin tone of human can drastically vary from its parents skin tone, same as the hair or eye color.
This is not due to genes directly. People with blue, green, gray and brown eyes can in general have the same genes which regulate the eye color, but the outcome can be different. This is called epigenetic. There are 'switches' which regulate how strong a gene will be expressed. People with darker hair, or darker skin tones, or darker eyes express the gene for the production of melanin in those areas simply higher then people with lighter feateres.
Also blue eyes are not a result of different genes. It is just a lower expression of melanin production in the cells of the eyes.
You will find all around the world people with all types of combination. Unfortunatley Holloywood just cast steraotypes and many people believe this is a reflection of how the world really looks like. But this is wrong.
HAve you seen Black Panther? THe actors were mainly Americans (except Lupita) and for me with a relation to Africa, they do not look like Africans. But other people won't notice this as they concider dark skin and curly hair wih Africa. (The afro americans are a mixe of Africans, Europeans and people from Asia and you can see the mix, but it is NOT A RACIAL MIX. We are all mixed people)

What a lot of people in the world also tend to believe is, that all people with dark skin and curly hair are Africans or origanally from Africa, but this is wrong. You find also people with dark skin and curly hair in Southern Asia and they are not Africans. One example are the people from Papua New Guinea. They are not Africans, but many people think this is Africa.

Ok, bak to race. Race is a result of inbreeding. HUmans are extremly sensitive to inbreeding and do not do this in general. Dogs come in different races. This is because humans inbreed dogs. They breed parent dogs with their own offsprings to create new featueres. Those dog races are kind of 'disabled' sub speciess of the wolf. They are less healthy then wolfs and also mentaly a bit degenerated compared to wolfs. Dogs are also used for science to find genes which are responsible for certain deseases. This can be done as each dog race has certain deseases which they are suffering from soon or later due to their 'inbreed' genome.
All poodles come from the same family tree, so do all susage dogs and so on and the family tree started with just a few individuals that were cross breas over and over again.

So after hearing this, who wants to be a memeber of a Race?

Africa has the most diverse genome. Two Africans are less likely to be related with each other or genetically similar compared to humans of other parts of the world. My parents are both from the same country but different ethnicity, which makes me mixed and Africans struggle to determine where I come from as I do not look like a specific ethnicity in Africa as I am mixed. Nevertheless for the rest of the world I am black or a typical African.

You see who you are depends on where you are and who you talk to.
There is also a debate about Arab people being white or an other race. I America they are white as they do not have a classification for Middle Eastern people. Those classification have been created in times were there were simply not a lot settlers from middle east. The focus was on European people and the native Americans by the time. And now there are debates that people From North AFrican and middle Eastern origing should be included in this thing they call BAME to help them fight discrimination.

SO you see it is all a huge bogus nonsense.
France removed the word Race fom its constitution, which is very good. Even Darwin was shocked that people started to apply about races on humans. One of Darwins Mentors was one of the dark skinned people in the world and Darwin was a fighter against slavery and the discrimination of non white people.

A lot of people have tried to prove the existens of human races, but by doing this interestingly always proved the oposit. There are no races among humans.
A race is a subspecies. Again! WHO wants to be a subspcies of Homo Sapiens? Please let me know!

Again, you are not mixed, You are 100% normal human. These were stupid white men in the past who only wanted the world to believe they are the crown of evolution.

The north European where for hundreds of years too far away from Africa and therefore not used to see people that looked too different from themselfs. THey were confused when they discovered other people. Whereas the south Europeans especially the Greeks where in contact with Africa. Greek intellectuals were disgusted by the North Europeans hysteria about how other people look like. Don't forget we are talking about people who burned their own family members, Friends and neighbours if they had red hair. So what do you expect them to do when they saw people with different skin tones and hair texture.
Clearly they wanted to start a fire instinctivily. (ok the last sentence is a joke :smile: )

Humans always split apart, migrated and then merged with others all around the world. This is what differs us from animals.

Again and again: You are not mixed race! No one is. This is just a lable that the society you live in gives you and you decided to use it. But it is not the reality.

If you want to find out who you are do not listen to the others.

Also a misconception a lot of American have is, that the darker you are the more African you are and the other way around. THis is wrong. Africa has all skin tones.
DO you understand now why you go tconfused that some people were not who you would have (due to their skin tone) thought they would be?
Because you did not know the truth and therefore got confused.
IF you ever wont to be confident with who you are, then you must understand that Race and the label mixed or whatever is not based on the reality. It is based on some peoples urgent need to discriminate and label people. The world is a complex place and for some people this is frightend. Therefore they tend to create weird ideas also about other people and this is the base of all the hate and some terror of our world.
Do not participate in this. Also it is so much more fascinating when you see the world in all its complexity.
Also a dog looks at us and things, they look all the same, but some are darker and some are lighter, thicker or thinner, longer or shorter. That is all the dog would see as we are one specie without subspecies..

Dude u don’t actually expect someone to read all of that when they could watch a video all about the race with less time.
Original post by Tenacity Deshad
Dude u don’t actually expect someone to read all of that when they could watch a video all about the race with less time.

This is literally a whole essay/book long OMDSS

Quick Reply

Latest