The Student Room Group

criminology degree

i told my mum i want to do a criminology degree and she told her sister who said criminology is one of the most useless degrees and is unlikely to get you a career afterwards so i researched it and found it was kind of. i was hoping to be a probation officer or something along those lines eg helping with offenders or in a prison etc
will criminology be useless for this? if it is what other degrees can i do that will help me?
im in year 12 studying psychology and religious studies. so criminology has always interested me, it kinda links to both but if i cant get a future career idk :/
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheesecake101
im in year 12 studying psychology and religious studies. so criminology has always interested me, it kinda links to both but if i cant get a future career idk :/

Just out of interest what's your third subject ?
Original post by Moose-er
Just out of interest what's your third subject ?

btec ict :/
Reply 3
If you study criminology you can become a police officer/detective.
Original post by Luwei

i read that you dont even need a degree to become a police officer and they’re not hiring a lot and havent been for years something to do with the government idk
Reply 5
Work in anti-corruption; nobody ever wants to do that but it actually is quite cool
Original post by Luwei
Work in anti-corruption; nobody ever wants to do that but it actually is quite cool

what is it about? i tried to search it but couldnt find anything useful
Reply 7
Basically catching bent coppers.
Reply 8
I think generally you don't need a degree to be a prison officer but criminology would be good to give you some background.
I did psychology and I've got a new job lined up to be a probation services officer. My degree didn't help as such - I have to go back to uni as part of the course to get the specified modules but I know with a criminology background you can get it much quicker. If you look up PQIP - train to be a probation officer you'll be able to read up on it.
Original post by Dannieo
I think generally you don't need a degree to be a prison officer but criminology would be good to give you some background.
I did psychology and I've got a new job lined up to be a probation services officer. My degree didn't help as such - I have to go back to uni as part of the course to get the specified modules but I know with a criminology background you can get it much quicker. If you look up PQIP - train to be a probation officer you'll be able to read up on it.

wow that is so helpful thank you so so much. i just searched it and it says i need a level qualification so that means i should do a criminology foundation degree and that would be enough?
Reply 10
You need a level 5 qualification, if you look on the FAQs it says what that includes. Maybe get in touch with them if you’re not sure. I’d probably say do a undergraduate degree anyway? The process is a long one so it can take quite a while to get into it, best to keep your options open :smile:
Original post by Dannieo
You need a level 5 qualification, if you look on the FAQs it says what that includes. Maybe get in touch with them if you’re not sure. I’d probably say do a undergraduate degree anyway? The process is a long one so it can take quite a while to get into it, best to keep your options open :smile:

yeah i clicked on the level 5 qualification and it says foundation degree is one of them. i really dont know the differences between all the different types pf degrees.something i’d have to research
Reply 12
yeah i clicked on the level 5 qualification and it says foundation degree is one of them. i really dont know the differences between all the different types pf degrees.something i’d have to research

It's good to think about it in advance though. I just did a psychology degree without really thinking what I wanted out of it. The modules I have a choice in, I always chose the crime modules but maybe looking back I'd have done criminology or something
Original post by Dannieo
It's good to think about it in advance though. I just did a psychology degree without really thinking what I wanted out of it. The modules I have a choice in, I always chose the crime modules but maybe looking back I'd have done criminology or something

i never really knew what i wanted to do i just picked 3 subjects that i did the best at at gcses for a levels. even though i dont like my subjects (i only like ict tbh). but i feel like religious studies and psychology kind of links together with criminology so ig thats what i was aiming towards even though everyone is saying a degree in it it worthless :/
Original post by Luwei

You can become all those things without a degree in Criminology. Heck, I don't think you even need a degree for that. My brother definitely didn't and he's a police officer.

i was hoping to be a probation officer or something along those lines eg helping with offenders or in a prison etc
will criminology be useless for this? if it is what other degrees can i do that will help me?

You don't need Criminology for this job. You actually don't need Criminology for any specific job... You could maybe consider doing Law and take some modules in Criminology? Or, Law with/and Human Rights etc? What about International Relations? Rather different but has a great number of topics on issues related to crime and the like.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
You don't need Criminology for this job. You actually don't need Criminology for any specific job... You could maybe consider doing Law and take some modules in Criminology? Or, Law with/and Human Rights etc? What about International Relations? Rather different but has a great number of topics on issues related to crime and the like.

I think you need to have a 2:2 in an undergraduate degree to become a detective
(edited 3 years ago)
Any degree comes with transferable skills, many universities offer a placement year working in a prison for example. Having a degree as well as experience will put you above other candidates, I would suggest looking at the course content and seeing if it is actually something you would enjoy, it opens many doors if you go on to do further studies too.

However, if you feel you will not enjoy it and that you will go into something that will not need a degree then it's okay not to go to university.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by renaamz
you need a degree of 2:2 or above to become a detective

I imagine most detective training programs will grant you a degree at completion.
Original post by Quick-use

i feel like law is a little competitive and i dont think its really for me :/ as in i wont find interest in it. actually i might consider doing human rights with criminology or international relations with criminology. will that be a good idea? also if i apply for two degrees together do i need to include both in one personal statement? sorry i’m a little clueless about going university :/ but thanks for that (:
Original post by renaamz
I think you need to have a 2:2 in an undergraduate degree to become a detective

what does that mean?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending