The Student Room Group

Online HE access course for Health Professions/Midwifery vs college courses

I am looking to apply to become a Midwife, but in order to gain a place to study at degree level, I need to complete an Access to HE course (either Health Professions or something more Midwifery focused). When i spoke with the Uni they suggested my local college and to apply for the course there, however I am currently a secondary school teacher and financially I am not sure I can afford to give up my job for the year before then going to university, what with mortgage payments etc! Are online access courses ok instead? Or would i find it far too much work trying to complete an access course in the evenings while still working in the day? Any help is much appreciated, I just need to weigh up my options before I make any decisions :smile:
Original post by HannahL91
I am looking to apply to become a Midwife, but in order to gain a place to study at degree level, I need to complete an Access to HE course (either Health Professions or something more Midwifery focused). When i spoke with the Uni they suggested my local college and to apply for the course there, however I am currently a secondary school teacher and financially I am not sure I can afford to give up my job for the year before then going to university, what with mortgage payments etc! Are online access courses ok instead? Or would i find it far too much work trying to complete an access course in the evenings while still working in the day? Any help is much appreciated, I just need to weigh up my options before I make any decisions :smile:

People do work and do the college course. I think its 3 days a week. Some of them do it at weekends.
The difference is you have classmates and a lecturer, whereas online study can be quite isolating.

For these reasons I suggest face to face brick courses.

However as you are a graduate and not new to study, then you can probably cope with the demands of an online course and it will be more flexible.

Do the reserach see whats available and workable and if you have to do it online then so be it. They normally allow 18 months to finish.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
People do work and do the college course. I think its 3 days a week. Some of them do it at weekends.
The difference is you have classmates and a lecturer, whereas online study can be quite isolating.

For these reasons I suggest face to face brick courses.

However as you are a graduate and not new to study, then you can probably cope with the demands of an online course and it will be more flexible.

Do the reserach see whats available and workable and if you have to do it online then so be it. They normally allow 18 months to finish.

Hi,

Thank-you so much for this! I think trying an online access course might be more flexible so I can still do my full time job for another year and save some money for going back to uni!

I am having a little look at Lean Direct, some of their reviews are good but some say they are terrible :-/
Reply 3
Hi,

Thank-you so much for this! I think trying an online access course might be more flexible so I can still do my full time job for another year and save some money for going back to uni!

I am having a little look at Lean Direct, some of their reviews are good but some say they are terrible :-/

Hey, I've just signed up for the access to midwifery with learn direct- it's through Sussex college. I have two small children and work part time as a health advisor for nhs 111, so don't have the time to attend college. I'm just hoping it's going to be manageable! X
Reply 4
I am having the same problem I have been trying to find online access courses to apply for midwifery at uni. Did you go with learndirect and if so what has been your experience with them please?

Hello! I am in the same position as you, my local college offers the course 2 evenings a week so wouldn't affect work. I've also been looking at online but was wondering if there is less support this way or just as good?
I've not studied for over 10 years and have 2 children, its difficult to know which will be best!

Quick Reply

Latest