The Student Room Group

i dont want to apply to oxbridge

My teachers and parents all think I should apply but I don't want to. I have nothing against the unis but I just don't think that I'll thrive there. Any advice, I don't want to disappoint them :/
then don't apply there
apply to the unis you want and receive the grades you need and the uni offers you actually want
its your application and your degree and your life - not theirs they already have theirs - you have autonomy in this situation
you could prove them wrong by getting 5 uni offers from wherever you want
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
it’s your choice. you can only apply 5 universities, don’t waste one of them on a university you don’t want to go to. especially ones with such rigorous application processes like oxbridge.

there are plenty of other excellent universities you could apply to that are very prestigious but aren’t as hardcore as oxbridge like Durham, Warwick, UCL etc.

nobody will judge you if you don’t apply to them and if they do, they’ll forget in a couple of weeks. you’ll be okay my g just do what you think is best for you and your future.
At the end of the day, a degree is only what you make of it, there's plenty of successful people who didn't go to a top university or university at all in some cases, and there's plenty of people who did go to places like Oxford or Cambridge whose potential was never realised.

If you don't feel it's for you, then that's your decision and it's the best decision you can make as for many people, Cambridge and Oxford are not what's best for them.

I would ask though why you don't feel like you wouldn't thrive at a place like Cambridge because all too often people have misconceptions that put them off, i want to make sure if there's anything to dispell, we can help with that.
Reply 4
Just tell them that you think you'll be happier elsewhere. You only get 5 choices for university, and it's narrowed down to 2 once you have firmed and insured where you want to go. A few of my friends applied to Oxbridge and there is so much preparation you need to do to impress them just for your personal statement. If you don't think Oxbridge is the place for you, don't worry about it, it's not worth your time. Happiness is the most important. :smile:
If you don't want to apply, try not to allow people to pressure you! Oxbridge is far from the be-all-and-end-all: plenty of amazing unis and depts dotted around the UK :biggrin:

That said, I guess I'm interested in why you don't think you'd thrive there (just in case some myth-busting could be done for your benefit)? But yeah, don't apply under duress :nah:
Original post by freya00000000
My teachers and parents all think I should apply but I don't want to. I have nothing against the unis but I just don't think that I'll thrive there. Any advice, I don't want to disappoint them :/

It's not as if the "Oxbridge police" are going to batter your door down with a punt and squirt you with silly string until you change your mind!!

None of us would disapprove if you don't apply, and neither should your parents or teachers! It's your choice and your money you will be paying in student loans. Be in control of your own life.
We might be a Cambridge College, but we couldn't agree more with this advice! We'd recommend you do your research on all the universities you're considering, especially on their course content. But if at the end of it, you decide not to apply to Oxbridge, then that's completely fine! There are lots of excellent universities in the UK - some will be a great fit for you and some won't, and that's ok. Oxbridge absolutely isn't the be all and end all, and you should apply to the universities you like, not the ones other people want you to apply to. You'll not be letting anyone down by getting a great degree from a great university and (most importantly) being happy with your choice of course and institution :smile:
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
We might be a Cambridge College, but we couldn't agree more with this advice! We'd recommend you do your research on all the universities you're considering, especially on their course content. But if at the end of it, you decide not to apply to Oxbridge, then that's completely fine! There are lots of excellent universities in the UK - some will be a great fit for you and some won't, and that's ok. Oxbridge absolutely isn't the be all and end all, and you should apply to the universities you like, not the ones other people want you to apply to. You'll not be letting anyone down by getting a great degree from a great university and (most importantly) being happy with your choice of course and institution :smile:

Exactly this.
Reply 9
Do apply, I know people who aren't that intelligent that go there. You'll be admired you're whole life. Don't be a coward

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending