The Student Room Group

I have to drop one of my alevels

At the moment I take maths, further maths, physics and textiles. I have to drop one in year 13 and I don’t know what to do.
At university I want to take maths but I don’t want to rule out fashion design in my future.
Eventually, I would love to become a teacher.

I’m thinking of dropping either further maths or physics.
Further maths is my favourite subject and I’d be heartbroken if I had to give it up. I’m also doing ok in terms of grades.
Everyone knows I’ve always loved physics and if I were made to drop it, I guarantee I would still find away to learn more about the subject. I would also be disappointed to give it up after all these years in absolute admiration for it but it is my worst subject, if I’m honest.

The main reason I’ve been told not to take 4 a levels is because of my mental health. Personally, I think I would be fine, but I understand where it’s coming from. I also do a lot of extra curriculars so I wouldn’t have much time.

Looking for any advice!!!
Reply 1
Drop textiles; you can do fashion design related stuff in your free time/societies at university.
Reply 2
Youre a bigman to be doing textiles
Original post by Kris17
Youre a bigman to be doing textiles

Hahah I love it so much because I love being creative
Original post by Elliesmithhh
At the moment I take maths, further maths, physics and textiles. I have to drop one in year 13 and I don’t know what to do.
At university I want to take maths but I don’t want to rule out fashion design in my future.
Eventually, I would love to become a teacher.

I’m thinking of dropping either further maths or physics.
Further maths is my favourite subject and I’d be heartbroken if I had to give it up. I’m also doing ok in terms of grades.
Everyone knows I’ve always loved physics and if I were made to drop it, I guarantee I would still find away to learn more about the subject. I would also be disappointed to give it up after all these years in absolute admiration for it but it is my worst subject, if I’m honest.

The main reason I’ve been told not to take 4 a levels is because of my mental health. Personally, I think I would be fine, but I understand where it’s coming from. I also do a lot of extra curriculars so I wouldn’t have much time.

Looking for any advice!!!

Logically Further maths would be the best A-Level to drop. Because you won't be significantly disadvantaged by only having an AS opposed to an A2.
Is your mental health suffering due to the work load? If not, it sounds like b*llocks.

Do you have any idea of what you want to study at university?
drop the subject you think you'd enjoy the least. i don't think not taking textiles would necessarily stop you from pursuing fashion design in the future? you could always create a portfolio. but yeah, go with your gut as i don't think many math courses ask for a level physics either.
Original post by glassalice
Logically Further maths would be the best A-Level to drop. Because you won't be significantly disadvantaged by only having an AS opposed to an A2.
Is your mental health suffering due to the work load? If not, it sounds like b*llocks.

Do you have any idea of what you want to study at university?

Honestly not suffering at all! I’ve been fine doing 4 subjects all year but my school is using corona as an excuse. Apparently the situation we’re in will make it harder for my mental health and so anyone taking further maths as a fourth subjects is being told to drop one. Yes, I would love to study maths but I’m keeping my options open just in case I want to take fashion instead.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
drop the subject you think you'd enjoy the least. i don't think not taking textiles would necessarily stop you from pursuing fashion design in the future? you could always create a portfolio. but yeah, go with your gut as i don't think many math courses ask for a level physics either.

Ok, thank you!
Reply 8
Honestly not suffering at all! I’ve been fine doing 4 subjects all year but my school is using corona as an excuse. Apparently the situation we’re in will make it harder for my mental health and so anyone taking further maths as a fourth subjects is being told to drop one. Yes, I would love to study maths but I’m keeping my options open just in case I want to take fashion instead.

How is corona going to make it harder for your mental health? If you can take it then tell your school that you are able to?
Original post by Luwei
How is corona going to make it harder for your mental health? If you can take it then tell your school that you are able to?

Because we’re teaching the course to ourselves. I’ll try and have another word with them!

You know there are courses that kind of combine textiles and physics so it isn't necessarily an either/or choice https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2020/09900/meng-materials-science-and-engineering-with-textiles-technology/#course-profile
Reply 11
Because we’re teaching the course to ourselves. I’ll try and have another word with them!

Wait so now you are teaching further maths yourself?
Original post by Luwei
Wait so now you are teaching further maths yourself?

Our teachers send out questions for homework but that’s about it!
Reply 13
Our teachers send out questions for homework but that’s about it!

Hey if you want help with further maths/physics feel free to pm me I am in Year 13 (so the cohort that got their exams cancelled) and dont have much to do so wouldnt mind helping you out but just hoping that I still remember things😂
Original post by Luwei
Hey if you want help with further maths/physics feel free to pm me I am in Year 13 (so the cohort that got their exams cancelled) and dont have much to do so wouldnt mind helping you out but just hoping that I still remember things😂

Thank you! I will definitely pm you if I get stuck 😂
If you want to do maths at uni don't drop further maths. While in many unis it's not strictly needed, it's a good bonus, and may reduce your offers for uni too.
Ultimately your third subject doesn't matter so if you wanted then dropping physics would be fine, I'd recommend dropping textiles and continuing with it in your own time for fun rather than the stress of exams and coursework in it.
But first ask if you really have to and if you can continue with all for now and make a decision later. If they let you for now you might well be able to continue for good if there's never a point the workload is overwhelming and dropping one will help that.
Original post by Lemur14
If you want to do maths at uni don't drop further maths. While in many unis it's not strictly needed, it's a good bonus, and may reduce your offers for uni too.
Ultimately your third subject doesn't matter so if you wanted then dropping physics would be fine, I'd recommend dropping textiles and continuing with it in your own time for fun rather than the stress of exams and coursework in it.
But first ask if you really have to and if you can continue with all for now and make a decision later. If they let you for now you might well be able to continue for good if there's never a point the workload is overwhelming and dropping one will help that.

Ok, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest