The Student Room Group

Oxford AND Cambridge for senior status law?

Hey,
I'm planning on applying to do a two year graduate law course next year, and am trying to figure out if you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge at the same time for a second undergraduate degree. I know there are a couple of threads on here that say you can, but they're about 7 years old and I can't find any other confirmations that it's possible.

Would really appreciate any ideas, can't seem to find definitive info anywhere!
Original post by dennm078
Hey,
I'm planning on applying to do a two year graduate law course next year, and am trying to figure out if you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge at the same time for a second undergraduate degree. I know there are a couple of threads on here that say you can, but they're about 7 years old and I can't find any other confirmations that it's possible.

Would really appreciate any ideas, can't seem to find definitive info anywhere!

It's either Oxford or Cambridge. You can't apply to both.
Original post by J-SP
Why would you do another three year degree, when you can do a 2 year PG LLB?

That is what I'm planning to do, senior status at Oxbridge is two years.
Original post by Reality Check

Ok, so that must have changed in the last few years then. Thanks for clarifying

WHERE HAS YOUR PURPLE GONE???

Not nearly as regal as just Ranulph Fiennes.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
WHERE HAS YOUR PURPLE GONE???

Not nearly as regal as just Ranulph Fiennes.

I'm not a member of the ST any longer because it's too restrictive for me and I can't post in a manner that's honest to me or as useful as it could be to the TSR community. I can't do the butterflies and rainbows thing any longer. I want to get back to a more honest, more forthright way of posting. Always friendly, always supportive. But not full of some cheerleading crap about 'yeah, you can go from DEE to A*A*A with loads of hard work' when in fact the chances of doing so are minimal.

Ran doesn't need purple to be regal.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not a member of the ST any longer because it's too restrictive for me and I can't post in a manner that's honest to me or as usual as it could be to the TSR community. I can't do the butterflies and rainbows thing any longer. I want to get back to a more honest, more forthright way of posting. Always friendly, always supportive. But not full of some cheerleading crap about 'yeah, you can go from DEE to A*A*A with loads of hard work' when in fact the chances of doing so are minimal.

Ran doesn't need purple to be regal.

That is certainly true. The purple shines through in your words.

You were always quite honest, and I look forward to you handing out more Reality Checks to people. Honesty is needed sometimes.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
That is certainly true. The purple shines through in your words.

You were always quite honest, and I look forward to you handing out more Reality Checks to people. Honesty is needed sometimes.

Thank you - that means a lot :smile: This has always been my approach: telling people what they want to hear because it's all warm and cuddly and 'supportive community' when it has zero basis in reality doesn't actually help people. It patronises them and misleads them. In my opinion, there's far too much of that.
Thank you - that means a lot :smile: This has always been my approach: telling people what they want to hear because it's all warm and cuddly and 'supportive community' when it has zero basis in reality doesn't actually help people. It patronises them and misleads them. In my opinion, there's far too much of that.

At the end of the day they will learn more from your posts.

Hi, is there a reason why you can't apply to both? Is it just inadvisable or is it not allowed by UCAS or another body?
Original post by discerevolo
Hi, is there a reason why you can't apply to both? Is it just inadvisable or is it not allowed by UCAS or another body?

It's not a case of not being advisable: it's not actually possible for a first undergrad degree, unless you're an organ scholar or applying for postgrad. If you add Cambridge as a UCAS choice, then you can't add Oxford and vice versa.

Historical reasons, mainly: it was an understanding between the two universities that started in the 1980s.
(edited 2 years ago)
It's not a case of not being advisable: it's not actually possible for a first undergrad degree, unless you're an organ scholar or applying for postgrad or second undergrad. If you add Cambridge as a UCAS choice, then you can't add Oxford and vice versa.

Historical reasons, mainly: it was an understanding between the two universities that started in the 1980s.

I see, thank you! If the application was for Law with Senior Status (which I'm assuming would be counted as a second undergraduate degree?) you'd then be able to apply to both in the same UCAS cycle?
Reply 12
I see, thank you! If the application was for Law with Senior Status (which I'm assuming would be counted as a second undergraduate degree?) you'd then be able to apply to both in the same UCAS cycle?

May I ask you, did you find out the answer to this? Curious to know myself!
Original post by cervac
May I ask you, did you find out the answer to this? Curious to know myself!

No, I didn't unfortunately. Sorry!
No, I didn't unfortunately. Sorry!

Aw thanks for bumping this thread, it was a nice blast from the past.

Surely if you suspect the UCAS system doesn't allow it a way of confirming that would be to try adding them both to a UCAS form? If the system won't let you do it (which I think will happen) then you can't do it!
Reply 15
Original post by harrysbar
Aw thanks for bumping this thread, it was a nice blast from the past.

Surely if you suspect the UCAS system doesn't allow it a way of confirming that would be to try adding them both to a UCAS form? If the system won't let you do it (which I think will happen) then you can't do it!

Simple and straightforward, like all great solutions! Truth be told I was nervous about adding both, goodness knows why....
To any interested: My (admittedly) more convoluted solution was to contact Oxford directly about this and the response was no, you cannot apply to both even for a second undergraduate/senior status application.
Hello. Do you know where does it say that for second undergrad degree, you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?
It's not a case of not being advisable: it's not actually possible for a first undergrad degree, unless you're an organ scholar or applying for postgrad or second undergrad. If you add Cambridge as a UCAS choice, then you can't add Oxford and vice versa.

Historical reasons, mainly: it was an understanding between the two universities that started in the 1980s

Hello. Do you know where does it say that for second undergrad, you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?
Original post by zachsullicanc
Hello. Do you know where does it say that for second undergrad, you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?

As with a first undergraduate degree, you can only apply for a second undergrad degree to both universities if you're an organ scholar. I've made my four-year-old post clearer :smile:

It's best to restart this conversation as a new thread, rather than bumping an old one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending