The Student Room Group

Official Nursing 2021 Applicants Thread

Hi everyone,

Now that UCAS has opened it's applications I thought it would be a good time to start up a thread for students looking to study nursing next year! This thread should be really helpful for getting tips on applying to university, personal statements, etc!

Comment below if you want to:

What universities are you thinking of:

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC:

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

Open days attended (including virtual ones!):

Have you done any work experience?

Nursing speciality:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is anyone applying to nursing the end of this year? What field?
Original post by Amedits

I am, unfortunately i didnt get into adult nursing for September, im so gutted, but im not giving up, ill apply again for next year, what about you?
Reply 3
Original post by AngelaMcl
I am, unfortunately i didnt get into adult nursing for September, im so gutted, but im not giving up, ill apply again for next year, what about you?

Aw I’m so sorry! My mum got rejected first time too and now she’s a qualified nurse, don’t give up x

I’m going into my second year of a levels and I am applying for children’s nursing x
Original post by Amedits

I might be!

I'm looking at studying Mental Health nursing, what about you? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hazelly
I might be!

I'm looking at studying Mental Health nursing, what about you? :smile:

Children’s nursing! Got any unis in mind? :smile:
Original post by Amedits
Children’s nursing! Got any unis in mind? :smile:

Oh, nice!

I'm looking in the southwest region possibly so:

- Plymouth
- Bristol (UWE)
- Exeter
- Southampton
- And Birmingham

and you?
I was thinking of making a 2021 nursing applicant mega-thread if this would be handy or is it too soon?

@Charlotte's Web I guess this has been done before? are there any templates I could borrow? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I might be applying to a type of nursing to start in 2021. Looking at an edge hill course (Msci Nurse paramedic practice)
Reply 9
Original post by Hazelly
I was thinking of making a 2021 nursing applicant mega-thread if this would be handy or is too soon?

@Charlotte's Web I guess this has been done before? are there any templates I could borrow? :smile:

I don’t think it’s too soon! UCAS is already opened
Original post by Hazelly
Oh, nice!

I'm looking in the southwest region possibly so:

- Plymouth
- Bristol (UWE)
- Exeter
- Southampton
- And Birmingham

and you?

I’m looking at Queens University Belfast, Edgehill, LJMU, Anglia Ruskin and Birmingham!
Original post by Kathrxn_xox
I might be applying to a type of nursing to start in 2021. Looking at an edge hill course (Msci Nurse paramedic practice)

Oooo interesting I haven’t seen thag before!
Original post by Hazelly
I was thinking of making a 2021 nursing applicant mega-thread if this would be handy or is too soon?

We normally have one each year for Nursing and one for Midwifery - sometimes we have adult nursing, child nursing and MH nursing separately which does tend to work slightly better.

No specific template needed - it's usually just an applicant-led discussion so you really don't need much at all in the OP.
Original post by Amedits
I don’t think it’s too soon! UCAS is already opened

That's true! :biggrin:

Original post by Charlotte's Web
We normally have one each year for Nursing and one for Midwifery - sometimes we have adult nursing, child nursing and MH nursing separately which does tend to work slightly better.

No specific template needed - it's usually just an applicant-led discussion so you really don't need much at all in the OP.

I've made one now if that's okay?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6509768&p=88828864#post88828864

If needed this year we can make separate ones too :smile:
Original post by Hazelly
That's true! :biggrin:

I've made one now if that's okay?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6509768&p=88828864#post88828864

If needed this year we can make separate ones too :smile:

Fab thank you - I will get one up for midwifery at some point...

I've merged yours with the other 2021 applicant thread which has appeared, stickied it, and have made you the OP just so the info is at the top (and didn't even break it :biggrin:)
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Fab thank you - I will get one up for midwifery at some point...

I've merged yours with the other 2021 applicant thread which has appeared, stickied it, and have made you the OP just so the info is at the top (and didn't even break it :biggrin:)

Ah brilliant, thanks! :biggrin:
What universities are you thinking of: Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, and Southampton

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC: Three distinctions for Health and Social Care (BTEC)

GCSE grades: D*,6,6,6,5,5,5,4

Extracurriculars: I volunteer twice a week at my local hospital doing patient experience and I'm currently completing the care certificate

Open days attended (including virtual ones!): Plymouth on site last year, I'm attending two virtual open days next month which is Plymouth and Southampton

Have you done any work experience? Yes, I've done a day in theatres, a week work experience in year 10 in an acute hospital, two days in a care home, and serving tea and coffee on a treatment oncology ward.

Nursing speciality: Mental health
Original post by Hazelly
Hi everyone,

Now that UCAS has opened it's applications I thought it would be a good time to start up a thread for students looking to study nursing next year! This thread should be really helpful for getting tips on applying to university, personal statements, etc!

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

Nursing speciality:

Original post by Hazelly
Hi everyone,

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

Nursing speciality:

What universities are you thinking of: Queens university Belfast, Anglia Ruskin, Edgehill, LJMU and maybe manchester or northumbria??

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: currently sitting 3 a levels, I think my predictions for ucas will be BBB ( hopefully)

GCSE grades: AAABC*CPP

Extracurriculars: currently a volunteer for Deafblind UK, apart of a group that advocates for children’s rights but everything else got cancelled :frown:

Open days attended (including virtual ones!): Anglia Ruskin and QUB

Have you done any work experience? I have a week in a primary school and my extra curriculars and a full time job last summer - was meant to get a few weeks shadowing but due to COVID that is no longer possible.

Nursing speciality: Child Nursing
I didn’t realise UCAS had already opened. When is the deadline to apply? Can we still apply for Jan 2021 intake or only Sep now? I heard a lot of the uni’s will just be doing virtual teaching for most of next year. How will placements work? I’m thinking of going into adult nursing but I’m not too familiar with the whole application process so any advice is appreciated (I’m a “mature” student and nursing would be my second career) Thanks guys!
I didn’t get into Children’s nursing either and I’m absolutely heartbroken there’s still hope for the reserved list/ waiting list though! What uni did you apply too? I applied to Queens University Belfast :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending