The Student Room Group

bad AS levels i need help

throughout the year i have had an average of science B's and C's, maths i always struggled to pass. When i got my AS level results i freaked out i don't know what to do. I wanted to do bio at uni, and I don't know witch subjects to retake... i was thinking bio and chem. i don't want to mess up A levels now too. help please i feel like it's the end of the world
Math E
Chem U
Bio D
Phy E
Original post by karthikabalaji
throughout the year i have had an average of science B's and C's, maths i always struggled to pass. When i got my AS level results i freaked out i don't know what to do. I wanted to do bio at uni, and I don't know witch subjects to retake... i was thinking bio and chem. i don't want to mess up A levels now too. help please i feel like it's the end of the world
Math E
Chem U
Bio D
Phy E

i did my mock exams and i got U in bio D in chem and A in psychology . ngl the subjects that you have chosen are not easy obviously im not trying to put you off but if you want to do bio then you might wanna consider dropping physics... but im no expert i am in year 12 and i was struggling with my option too and when i did my mock exams in december i really wanted to retake the whole of my AS but then now im getting A's in both bio and psychology and im working on chem....idk about your situation but for me it was my revision method etc and i just wasnt doing enough...
if you WANT revision tips im more than happy to help
plus its not the end of the world you stilll have one year to make things right..
sorry i couldnt really offer u any guidance but yhhh....
Original post by tecna
i did my mock exams and i got U in bio D in chem and A in psychology . ngl the subjects that you have chosen are not easy obviously im not trying to put you off but if you want to do bio then you might wanna consider dropping physics... but im no expert i am in year 12 and i was struggling with my option too and when i did my mock exams in december i really wanted to retake the whole of my AS but then now im getting A's in both bio and psychology and im working on chem....idk about your situation but for me it was my revision method etc and i just wasnt doing enough...
if you WANT revision tips im more than happy to help
plus its not the end of the world you stilll have one year to make things right..
sorry i couldnt really offer u any guidance but yhhh....

thank you so much!! i would love revision tips. I want to drop phy like u suggested but the thing is my dad wants me to take it and drop math instead and i don't know how to convince him to let me drop it. good luck i really want to bring my grades up like you did :smile:
thank you so much!! i would love revision tips. I want to drop phy like u suggested but the thing is my dad wants me to take it and drop math instead and i don't know how to convince him to let me drop it. good luck i really want to bring my grades up like you did :smile:

drop the one u r not good at. i have friends who do physics and maths and they say that its really hard to do physics without maths but obviously we all are different so different perspectives.....
basically the way i revise is i ONLY use textbooks. i read through the content and make sure that i have understood all of it if i feel like i havent then i watch a video on youtube or email my teachers then i close my textbook and write down as much as i can remember so basically blurting and i do in a kind of neat way so when teachers ask for notes i dont have to write up them revision cards .... i also look at the spec making sure that im learning all the content that im suppose to..
and once i have done a full module i do exam practice.
now with the lockdown situation im doing 1 module per week so i go through each and every sub topic thoroughly and then ii test my self on sunday
also make sure to keep actively recalling all your content so with me psychology has a lot of content so every week i recall a module that i learnt ages ago....that way u dont have to stress a lot when it comes to mock exams etc..
everyone is different so it might not work for you...idk...
i dont do maths and physics so i cant really give u any tips on that but anyway good luck..
Original post by tecna
drop the one u r not good at. i have friends who do physics and maths and they say that its really hard to do physics without maths but obviously we all are different so different perspectives.....
basically the way i revise is i ONLY use textbooks. i read through the content and make sure that i have understood all of it if i feel like i havent then i watch a video on youtube or email my teachers then i close my textbook and write down as much as i can remember so basically blurting and i do in a kind of neat way so when teachers ask for notes i dont have to write up them revision cards .... i also look at the spec making sure that im learning all the content that im suppose to..
and once i have done a full module i do exam practice.
now with the lockdown situation im doing 1 module per week so i go through each and every sub topic thoroughly and then ii test my self on sunday
also make sure to keep actively recalling all your content so with me psychology has a lot of content so every week i recall a module that i learnt ages ago....that way u dont have to stress a lot when it comes to mock exams etc..
everyone is different so it might not work for you...idk...
i dont do maths and physics so i cant really give u any tips on that but anyway good luck..

thank u so muchhh for ur advice again!! update- I rewrote chem and bio, and got an A in both!!
thank u so muchhh for ur advice again!! update- I rewrote chem and bio, and got an A in both!!

omg so happy for u. WELLL DONEEE
Original post by tecna
omg so happy for u. WELLL DONEEE

thank youuuuuuu <3
thank youuuuuuu <3

Lmaoo hellooo...idk how I got onto this post but how r u doing. How did it all go?
it went well but it was super stressful :smile: sorry my reply is super late but I got an A in both Chem and bio in AS and A levels and am now studying biotechnology at uni.
Original post by username3824888
Lmaoo hellooo...idk how I got onto this post but how r u doing. How did it all go?

Quick Reply

Latest