The Student Room Group

Spanish GCSE/A-level advice

Hey guys, If any of your are unsure or just want some general advice about Spanish GCSE or even A-level feel free to ask any questions, as i'd be happy to help!
Hi! I’m studying Spanish A Level. What exam board were you?
Reply 2
Hi, Im currently doing my A-level going into my second year, and i'm with AQA what about you?
Original post by IH1230
Hi, Im currently doing my A-level going into my second year, and i'm with AQA what about you?

Ah I’m edexcell. Also going into y13
Original post by IH1230
Hey guys, If any of your are unsure or just want some general advice about Spanish GCSE or even A-level feel free to ask any questions, as i'd be happy to help!

How do you revise Spanish gcse I’m so bad at it!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
How do you revise Spanish gcse I’m so bad at it!!!

Hey, with GCSE Spanish theres a lot of different techniques that can help you achieve the best possible grade. Obviously because theres reading, listening, writing and speaking theres different ways to go about it and different things you can do. I will list a couple of techniques i used below however, if theres anything more specific let me know or send me a private chat and i'll be more than happy to help!

1. Any words you come across you are don't know the meaning of put them into an app called Quizlet (its an online flashcard app, it's really good it tests you on them so you able to recognise them and help you familiarise with them, I use it for A-levels too and it's been such a lifesaver!)

2. Read articles in Spanish and movies or even films for GCSE i recommend the show Extra you can watch it on youtube as they talk slow and it's aimed for GCSE students so it will definitely help! And with articles even though you wont understand every word it will help you to get a gist of what it's trying to say.

3. For speaking, i would recommend you try and speak as often as you can with people who are in the same lesson as you or your friends in Spanish, this will boost your confidence and you won't be as scared when you come to the actual exam.

Hope this helps!
Original post by IH1230
Hey, with GCSE Spanish theres a lot of different techniques that can help you achieve the best possible grade. Obviously because theres reading, listening, writing and speaking theres different ways to go about it and different things you can do. I will list a couple of techniques i used below however, if theres anything more specific let me know or send me a private chat and i'll be more than happy to help!

1. Any words you come across you are don't know the meaning of put them into an app called Quizlet (its an online flashcard app, it's really good it tests you on them so you able to recognise them and help you familiarise with them, I use it for A-levels too and it's been such a lifesaver!)

2. Read articles in Spanish and movies or even films for GCSE i recommend the show Extra you can watch it on youtube as they talk slow and it's aimed for GCSE students so it will definitely help! And with articles even though you wont understand every word it will help you to get a gist of what it's trying to say.

3. For speaking, i would recommend you try and speak as often as you can with people who are in the same lesson as you or your friends in Spanish, this will boost your confidence and you won't be as scared when you come to the actual exam.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this, I love extra I have watched it in class a few times. I will definitely ask you for more help when needed as Spanish is my weakest subject 🙂🙂🙂
Reply 7
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
Thanks for this, I love extra I have watched it in class a few times. I will definitely ask you for more help when needed as Spanish is my weakest subject 🙂🙂🙂

You're very welcome and Ill be happy to help anytime!
Hi I’ve got a writing hwk to do. When I’ve done it would you mind checking it and seeing if it is any good? 🙂
Reply 9
(Original post by Cherrygrape1234)Hi I’ve got a writing hwk to do. When I’ve done it would you mind checking it and seeing if it is any good? 🙂

yeah sure!
Original post by IH1230
(Original post by Cherrygrape1234)Hi I’ve got a writing hwk to do. When I’ve done it would you mind checking it and seeing if it is any good? 🙂

yeah sure!

Thank you! I’ll send it in the next few days :smile:
Original post by IH1230

yeah sure!

Hiii, I’ve managed to do most of it but I’ve got 2 questions: does ‘hemos sido amigos por mucho tiempo’ mean I’ve know her for a long time? And.. how would you say ‘me and my friend have a lot of things in common for exmaple’
Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
hey, that sentence translates to we've been friends for a long time, if you wanted to say "ive known her for a long time you would say "la conozco desde hace mucho tiempo".
And if you wanted to say "me and my friends have a lot in common" you would say "mis amigos y yo tenemos muchas cosas en común"

Hope that helps!
Original post by IH1230
hey, that sentence translates to we've been friends for a long time, if you wanted to say "ive known her for a long time you would say "la conozco desde hace mucho tiempo".
And if you wanted to say "me and my friends have a lot in common" you would say "mis amigos y yo tenemos muchas cosas en común"

Hope that helps!

Thanks! :smile:
Hi, I'm considering taking Spanish for A-Levels next year (with AQA) I'm waiting for my IGCSE results but expect at least an A. Other subjects I'm taking are Maths, English Lit and Economics. I just wanted to ask you if you were able to cope Spanish alongside with other subjects and extra commitments? Is it a very large jump to A-Level Spanish? Has it been as difficult or more than people say?
Hi! Basically, I'm in year 9 and I'm going to be taking GCSE Spanish. As I have a lot more time now I am trying to get my Spanish closer to my French level. Although my parents aren't French, I have managed to become basically fluent (c1ish) within the last 6 months or so. I've only been doing french for 2 years, so I think I pick up languages quite quickly. Do you have any example resources that I could use in order to basically be able to do the whole of the GCSE course before I go back? My Spanish level is probably above year 9, maybe end of year 10, something like that. Also, do you have any tips to get top marks in the exam, for example complex structures, etc...I'm doing AQA by the way! thank you!
Reply 16
Original post by NikkiL31
Hi, I'm considering taking Spanish for A-Levels next year (with AQA) I'm waiting for my IGCSE results but expect at least an A. Other subjects I'm taking are Maths, English Lit and Economics. I just wanted to ask you if you were able to cope Spanish alongside with other subjects and extra commitments? Is it a very large jump to A-Level Spanish? Has it been as difficult or more than people say?

Hi, for me the jump from GCSEs to A-level Spanish was big however thats not to say that you shouldn't still try it out. My advice for you would be to try it out because if you are finding it difficult i'm sure your sixth form or college will allow you to drop out. Also the main thing is to only pick Spanish if you enjoy it even if you are good at it if you don't enjoy it it will be difficult for you to keep up with the work (as in A-levels you obvs learn the language but you learn more about the history of Spanish). There's no doubt about it all A-level are hard but i really suggest you at least try it out because it is different to GCSEs and you may fall in love with it, also not forgetting it looks amazing on your CV or when applying for jobs when they know you know another language! And with the subjects you're doing i think you would be fine i'm doing Spanish with psychology and Business and to be honest they are completely random but as long as you enjoy it you will get the grades you want!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by hffhgghhghg
Hi! Basically, I'm in year 9 and I'm going to be taking GCSE Spanish. As I have a lot more time now I am trying to get my Spanish closer to my French level. Although my parents aren't French, I have managed to become basically fluent (c1ish) within the last 6 months or so. I've only been doing french for 2 years, so I think I pick up languages quite quickly. Do you have any example resources that I could use in order to basically be able to do the whole of the GCSE course before I go back? My Spanish level is probably above year 9, maybe end of year 10, something like that. Also, do you have any tips to get top marks in the exam, for example complex structures, etc...I'm doing AQA by the way! thank you!

Hi i think it's great how you're doing Spanish alongside French hats off to you! it you're willing to buy textbooks theres many in WHS which you can order online and they are made by AQA so the help a lot well it did for me throughout Y11. However some free options would be to go on the AQA website and print off the exams and do them as often as possible thats the biggest advice i could give any GCSE student especially for a language. Many people used the apps Memerise and Duolingo when i was in school however i don't think these worked for but i would still tell you go give them a go, not everything works for everyone!
And also to get top marks I would say practice practice practice past exam papers which you can get from the AQA website or revision world. And about using complex structures what i did was i found some good ones online- also use idioms they will sure get you top marks if used correctly, and i basically had 10 good complex phrases that i could use in any most contexts and that were general some that i used were- si tuviera mucho tiempo libre, cuando sea mayor, vale la pena, loca como una cabra.

Hope that helps.
Original post by IH1230
Hi i think it's great how you're doing Spanish alongside French hats off to you! it you're willing to buy textbooks theres many in WHS which you can order online and they are made by AQA so the help a lot well it did for me throughout Y11. However some free options would be to go on the AQA website and print off the exams and do them as often as possible thats the biggest advice i could give any GCSE student especially for a language. Many people used the apps Memerise and Duolingo when i was in school however i don't think these worked for but i would still tell you go give them a go, not everything works for everyone!
And also to get top marks I would say practice practice practice past exam papers which you can get from the AQA website or revision world. And about using complex structures what i did was i found some good ones online- also use idioms they will sure get you top marks if used correctly, and i basically had 10 good complex phrases that i could use in any most contexts and that were general some that i used were- si tuviera mucho tiempo libre, cuando sea mayor, vale la pena, loca como una cabra.

Hope that helps.

thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending