The Student Room Group

Why do people aspire to essentially be a slave to the capital?

I read a book recently called poor dad vs rich dad and it really changed my outlook and mentality on things.
Why do people ultimately want to get good grades and go to uni?- to earn a salary and land a good job. You are basically aspiring to be a slave to the capital. What I mean by this is that you are working for someone else- the capital.
Why don’t people asprire to start their own company for example?
i don't really understand why you consider being the owner of a company not to a slave to the capital if this is what you consider being a slave

most business owners are hard working dedicated people that spend more time 'in the office' than the average employee

equally you seem to assume there isn't a non-financial benefit to working a job and that the financial benefit of working is redundant - plenty of people enjoy their jobs and have fruitful lives with the money they earn
Because this is how the real world works unfortunately and not everyone posses the same skills and characteristics to become an entrepreneur
It izz what it izz
It's 3 o'clock in the morning. It's too late for this sh*t!
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
i don't really understand why you consider being the owner of a company not to a slave to the capital if this is what you consider being a slave

most business owners are hard working dedicated people that spend more time 'in the office' than the average employee

equally you seem to assume there isn't a non-financial benefit to working a job and that the financial benefit of working is redundant - plenty of people enjoy their jobs and have fruitful lives with the money they earn

If you own a company you’re in a way a slave to the capital but more so you’re a master of capital
I don’t disagree with your second paragraph, I agree

Most people want to live an ‘average’ life because of society- they follow the ‘norms’ And don’t want to break away from the convention because people don’t like taking risks. Most people define success as material wealth, but there’s other ways to make wealth than a 9-5 tedious job
Reply 6
Original post by AM_TSR
Because this is how the real world works unfortunately and not everyone posses the same skills and characteristics to become an entrepreneur

Then you build those skills
Do you think those that created a company didn’t spend months even years to acquire the requisite knowledge to start a company?
People are lazy and I don’t blame them, I’m lazy too
Original post by Anonymous
Then you build those skills
Do you think those that created a company didn’t spend months even years to acquire the requisite knowledge to start a company?
People are lazy and I don’t blame them, I’m lazy too

I wouldn't necessarily call it lazy. Would you say people who are educating themselves up to PhD level are lazy just because they're working for another organisation and not starting their own business?
Original post by Anonymous
I read a book recently called poor dad vs rich dad and it really changed my outlook and mentality on things.
Why do people ultimately want to get good grades and go to uni?- to earn a salary and land a good job. You are basically aspiring to be a slave to the capital. What I mean by this is that you are working for someone else- the capital.
Why don’t people asprire to start their own company for example?

To begin with, the majority of people would not view themselves as "slaves to the capital"; we live in a democracy and the majority of people probably think that they have free will over what actions they take throughout their lives.

I think that people follow the economic and political system that we are currently in for a number of reasons:

1. They have limited knowledge about any other possibilities
2. Everyone else follows it
3. There seems to be an abstract goal that everyone is aiming towards in this system that we're following
4. For a lot of people, this supposed "slavery" doesn't feel like slavery as people get lots of rewards (money)
5. People like / the idea of having steady incomes to support their families, which "good grades and go(ing) to uni" would provide for
6. Quite a few people want to move up the social ladder, and in order to do that you need "to earn a salary and land a good job"

Plus, how much different is starting up your own company to having a steady job?
Because it is very hard to be an entrepreneur and the vast majority of new businesses fail. Thus it is easier to get a job and arguably less worried. Often being an entrepreneur is very stressful at the start as your company is likely to fail and hard to raise capital, but if it works well then your set. You also have to have the right mind set, as you have to be a leader as well as understanding accounting and market very well, it takes a long to to get into a market, whereas if you work for a company you can be making money instead of loosing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending