The Student Room Group

Constructively dismissed from volunteer position

I have previously volunteered at a BHF Furniture and Electrical Store, and had a dispute with the then warehouse manager (now store manager), who I will call John. John constantly bullied me, presumably because he percieved my performance as poor. To be fair I'll give him that, but only because he set me up to fail by tasking me with what was (for me at the time) an impossible task, and something I gave up with. I then did my own thing and attempted to do something else instead, he then yelled at me in front of other staff.

I called him a ****ing idiot in response and was sacked for gross misconduct as a result. I reported him both to his then line manager (who I will call Jane), and then to the head office, but did not get a favourable outcome.

I then lost my temper and burned the remaining bridge I had by sending a nasty email to that store, in the hope that John would read it. The store then reported it to the Police, and wrote to me informing me that they had done so. They also informed me that they no longer wanted me to enter that particular store, or approach any of the staff or volunteers there given my behaviour.

Can I now take legal action against the BHF, with the intention of getting a volunteer position back at that store, or failing that the discount for volunteers, and the ban overturned?

Scroll to see replies

Pigs might fly :angelwings:
Reply 2
Original post by Supernova36
Pigs might fly :angelwings:

Indeed. There's also a chance that the sky might fall.

But how is the chance of these events relevant to my post?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Indeed. There's also a chance that the sky might fall.

But how is the chance of these events relevant to my post?

You were in the wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by Bio 7
You were in the wrong.

True but then again so was John. What can I do?

I take it that I have to accept this bad experience and move on?
Reply 5
True but then again so was John. What can I do?

I take it that I have to accept this bad experience and move on?

Chalk it up to experience and move on, yes. Even if he is wrong being immature isn't the correct response because it makes you as bad. Use this to be professional next time.
Reply 6
Original post by Bio 7
Chalk it up to experience and move on, yes. Even if he is wrong being immature isn't the correct response because it makes you as bad. Use this to be professional next time.

How should I respond next time? I take it that politely downing tools entirely and leaving the premises would be the best option? That way he will find himself having to work short staffed with one less volunteer.
Reply 7
How should I respond next time? I take it that politely downing tools entirely and leaving the premises would be the best option? That way he will find himself having to work short staffed with one less volunteer.

I don't know what you mean.
Reply 8
Original post by Bio 7
I don't know what you mean.

What I meant was that I could politely down tools and refuse to continue, then leave the premises instead. I would off course sign myself out for the day so they know I'm not on the premises anymore. Then the manager will find the premises short staffed, and will have to get the job done with one less volunteer.
I don't think legal action would work without proof. despite him being in the wrong, could you not email and apologize for what you called him?
What I meant was that I could politely down tools and refuse to continue, then leave the premises instead. I would off course sign myself out for the day so they know I'm not on the premises anymore. Then the manager will find the premises short staffed, and will have to get the job done with one less volunteer.

Nope, none of that works, walking off site is also a disciplinary issue.

If you believe you are being asked to do something unreasonable at work, say so, ask for the instruction in writing, signed and dated...and the reaction to that is generally pretty telling. Pretty much the second you shout and swear you're done.

Buy the sound of it the letter was more than just rude, and it;s safe to assume you are 100% unwelcome at that store

TBH, Anecdotally, BHF have a pretty bad rep for store/area managers, lots of safes get found low and mangers move store while floor staff are blamed, their drivers are often complicit in a fair bit of theft as well.
Fortunately it didn't come to anything further than that. The answer is because the task i.e. lifting furniture could not be done with any further assistance, in the same way that too many cooks spoil the broth. The working environment was rubbish anyway, and I wouldn't want to go back to the warehouse at that store, or even volunteer in that store anyway. The other staff weren't sufficiently understanding or prepared for my difficulties either, and I had might as well accept that they don't want me back. I don't want to go back anyway.

I have already apologised for my behaviour, and politely asked for a reconsideration of the ban given that I have promised that it won't happen again. They said no because my course of conduct was so egregious which means that they will not consider changing the status of it.

All I want to do is to be able to go to that store again at some point in my life. Even if I don't buy anything, the freedom of being able to browse would be good.
Reply 12

But I thought you were gone for your behaviour already.
Original post by Bio 7
But I thought you were gone for your behaviour already.

I was asking more about how to deal with the same scenario if I encounter it next time.
Reply 14
Lot of contradictions in this story.
Reply 15
I was asking more about how to deal with the same scenario if I encounter it next time.

Ask for help instead rather than huff about it and do whatever you want. Don't just refuse to do anything.
(edited 3 years ago)
1) OK then I think I will next time. I didn't at the time for various reasons, without going into too much detail I will explain that I feel that my difficulties played a part in that, I was also quite young (only 17) at the time.
2) I suppose so. It's just that I changed my mind.
3) Not anymore. Having thought it through the working environment is pretty **** anyway.
4) Yes fair enough. What would be so awkward by the way?
5) Understand why what?
Original post by Bio 7
Lot of contradictions in this story.

Fair point. I could have been clearer from the outset.
Original post by Bio 7
Ask for help instead rather than huff about it and do whatever you want. Don't just refuse to do anything.

Fair point. But why should I be expected to put up with being berated just because John is a manager? That is a double standard. If an ordinary member of the public were to walk up to the boy or girl on the till, and berate them, even if they were considerably less rude than John, they would be getting asked to leave the store.
Reply 18
Fair point. But why should I be expected to put up with being berated just because John is a manager? That is a double standard. If an ordinary member of the public were to walk up to the boy or girl on the till, and berate them, even if they were considerably less rude than John, they would be getting asked to leave the store.

You should have brought it up with someone before swearing at him if he was being unfair but you didn't do that until after.
1) No I just called the manager a ****ing idiot in response to him insulting me in front of my colleagues. How come it's not acceptable for me to behave in the same way towards the boy or girl on the till? The answer is that it is not acceptable regardless of who I am. Even if I were a manager then I would expect the sack, or at least a demotion for such conduct. Full stop.
2) I honestly don't know. I know that John obviously has negative views of me, but I think he's a bit of a difficult person to deal with to be quite honest, and that if he were to carry on behaving like that, then I would expect him to be gone himself. He is in no position to criticise me in my opinion. I'm not ashamed at all.
3) I fully understand. I got carried away on multiple occasions, and should never have made the mistakes I did. I wish I didn't do it, but there's no going back. I can empathise with them on that, and I understand where they are coming from. I've tried explaining that, but they won't lift the ban.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending