The Student Room Group

Combined science or triple science

I'm not sure whether to take combined science or triple science as I am homeschooling. I'm not very good at chemistry but i'm alright at bio and physics. I don't intend to go into anything science or medical related. I wanted some advice in regards to whether there was much difference in difficulty. Or is there a lot of advantage in taking triple science as it counts as one more gcse.
Take Combined Science, it's easier and won't make a difference in the future
Original post by tae155
I'm not sure whether to take combined science or triple science as I am homeschooling. I'm not very good at chemistry but i'm alright at bio and physics. I don't intend to go into anything science or medical related. I wanted some advice in regards to whether there was much difference in difficulty. Or is there a lot of advantage in taking triple science as it counts as one more gcse.

Why not indervidually take GCSE biology & physics but not chemistry.
As your not interested in a science career, only having bio and physics shouldn't hold you back at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tae155

Hey I’ve been homeschooled and have done combined science. The content in combined science is less than in triple science. Also if you aren’t thinking of going on to study science at A-levels than you might as well take combined science... :smile:
Original post by tae155

i did t science and it also has nothing to do with what im doing in college (3 art subjects). if u think your chem isnt good, u can ask to do the lower paper for chem and still do higher papers for physics and bio, although i wouldnt suggest that. i got a 4 in my bio mock, they tried making me do the lower paper and i refused. i ended up getting a 6 in bio in the actual hthing

also, triple science looks v impressive on personal statements and cv's
I swear u can't get higher than a 5 or 6 in combined science tho
Yes you can. You can get a 9 in combined higher science. It makes no difference
Original post by Anannaislam
I swear u can't get higher than a 5 or 6 in combined science tho

you can get a nine in both. if youre talking about the lower paper, you cant get higher than a 5. but that lower paper is still triple science
Original post by kerrisbailey03
you can get a nine in both. if youre talking about the lower paper, you cant get higher than a 5. but that lower paper is still triple science

Oh yh sorry I forgot
Original post by Sumaiya_R
Hey I’ve been homeschooled and have done combined science. The content in combined science is less than in triple science. Also if you aren’t thinking of going on to study science at A-levels than you might as well take combined science... :smile:

You can still take a level science with combined science
Combined science would be better for you if you dont have a great ability in a certain subject like I'm bad at biology but my chemistry and physics marks will balance that out and get a good mark so a 7-7 looks better than 577. I took combined and there isnt an advantage in take triple unless you want one more qualification, which is great for private students that need to pay for their exams and qualification but there's not much that 1 grade can be beneficial for tbh. There's not a lot of difference in combined and triple detail wise but I know that space in physics wasnt taught in combined but I wouldnt have needed to learn it if it wasnt a optional module for A level, my school picked due to that being their speciality.
Reply 11
Thank you to all the people who gave great advice. I think it does make more sense to take combined science. It was good to get advice tho. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest