The Student Room Group

Microeconomics Monopoly Question

Can anyone help with this question?

Suppose the demand and supply schedules for the tickets to see Newcastle United playing at home is as follows:
Price(£) Quantity demanded Quantity supplied
10 -----------------80,000 -----------------50,000
20 -----------------70,000 -----------------50,000
30 -----------------50,000 -----------------50,000
40 -----------------40,000 -----------------50,000

Question) Calculate the revenue at each price. Suppose the cost is the same no matter how many tickets are sold. Suppose the tickets sales is operating as a monopoly, what price will be charged?
(edited 3 years ago)
Question) Calculate the revenue at each price.
revenue = price * (the smaller of quantity demanded and 50K i.e. quantity supplied)

Suppose the cost is the same no matter how many tickets are sold. Suppose the tickets sales is operating as a monopoly, what price will be charged?
In a monopoly, MR = AR. You want MR=MC for profit maximisation. As there is no information in the question for this, consider the price that offers you the maximum revenue based on your answer above; should be £30.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Question) Calculate the revenue at each price.
revenue = price * (the smaller of quantity demanded and 50K i.e. quantity supplied)

Suppose the cost is the same no matter how many tickets are sold. Suppose the tickets sales is operating as a monopoly, what price will be charged?
In a monopoly, MR = AR. You want MR=MC for profit maximisation. As there is no information in the question for this, consider the price that offers you the maximum revenue based on your answer above; should be £30.

Thank you very much for your answer. Can you kindly explain in a little more detail why MR= AR and not MR<AR?
Original post by Plinking
Thank you very much for your answer. Can you kindly explain in a little more detail why MR= AR and not MR<AR?

Sorry, my mistake. Should be AR>MR under monopolistic conditions.
Reply 4
how do you calculate Marginal revenue in this question?

Difference in total revenue/ difference in quantity
but quantity is always 50k, so difference is 0
Original post by Plinking
how do you calculate Marginal revenue in this question?

Difference in total revenue/ difference in quantity
but quantity is always 50k, so difference is 0

I don't think you would be able to figure that out based on the information in the question.
I'd put down the price that produces the maximum revenue.
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000
I don't think you would be able to figure that out based on the information in the question.
I'd put down the price that produces the maximum revenue.

ok thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending