The Student Room Group

Uni Deferring Effect

Hi everyone,
My friend asked a question that made me think and I don't know the answer. If most of the students going to uni this year are deferring for 2021, does that affect the applicants for the same uni in 2021 (so the current Year 12s)? I'm just asking because if it's going to affect my chances of getting into my choice unis then I need to rethink.

Thank you!
Original post by emmawrr
Hi everyone,
My friend asked a question that made me think and I don't know the answer. If most of the students going to uni this year are deferring for 2021, does that affect the applicants for the same uni in 2021 (so the current Year 12s)? I'm just asking because if it's going to affect my chances of getting into my choice unis then I need to rethink.

Thank you!

Yes and No. I am in the same position as you (Year 12 and wanting to go to uni next year), it is unclear what the exact effect will be because obviously it is an unpredictable situation, but you have to remember current offer holders can't just go to the uni and say 'I'm deferring to next year', the uni has to actually say to them yes that is okay for their place to be actually carried forward, and unis will be cautious about how many students they allow to defer.
So yes, it is likely that uni places will be a little more competitive than normal, but that should not put you off applying to the unis you want to apply to, there will still be plenty of places. You also have to bare in mind that after this pandemic it is likely that there will be less international students - meaning more places for students from the UK.

I wouldn't worry to much all us year 12s are in this together :smile:
Original post by emmawrr
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

As the above poster says, you can't just defer, the university has to agree. For the University, there is little sense in allowing deferrals, other than in medical circumstances, because there is another cohort of Year 12s following on behind, with likely very similar aspirations for University. So all you do by allowing deferrals this year, is bung up next year, and that will have a knock on effect that ripples for years to come.

Far more efficient to encourage offer holders to take up places this year and minimise the ripple effect of subsequent years. Some offer holders for 2020 will reject and re-apply next year, so in a way some higher competition seems inevitable next year. But of course, Universities will be able to tell who the deferrers are, because they will have their grades, and again, the Uni can choose to smooth the effect by altering its balance of offers.
Original post by emmawrr
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Yes, BUT unis dont have to let people defer. Its a case of supply & demand.

Unis have places students want them, but some unis & courses have excessive places and will make no difference. courses & unis with excessive candiates to places will become more competitive.

BUT its not a stretch to imagine international student numbers will drop off, international students make up roughly 20% of students but they often pay 2 to 3 times the fees. So unis will look to fill up international students spots with home students to protect revenue.

So will it be more or less competitive next year, who knows, I suspect unis may allow some students to defer but not all. If a student is faced with the dilemma of re-apply or go to uni they' may reconsider taking a year out.
As others have said, broadly yes, it will have an effect. remains to be seen how much. (I've deferred)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending