The Student Room Group

Virtual Work Experience for year 12's - veterinary

does anyone know where I could get virtual work experience for veterinary?
Original post by esha.mandavia
does anyone know where I could get virtual work experience for veterinary?

I’m not sure you can.... usually unis only count it if you were there in person for at least a week. If you’re in Year12 then you’ve still got plenty time to find something the following summer before applying to university. I know vets aren’t accepting vet student so it would be extremely hard to find something during Covid. Other places like farms or stables can accept people so you just have to search around your area
Reply 2
Edinburgh have a mooc called, do You have what it takes to be a veterinarian? Which you could try. Hopefully the universities will lower the work experience requirements as the mooc won’t count as work experience but I suppose it’s better than nothing. I’m only in yr 11 so I’ve got another summer to find work experience but I’ve started it as I’m missing some this summer.
I wouldn't worry about online work experience - it is very unlikely to exist (it would have to be free for unis to consider it equal, who would offer this for free there is no benefit to them?)

Criteria will no doubt be reduced for this and possible subsequent years. You should be able to find plenty of farm husbandry experience as social distancing is more likely to occur here (or just find a job on a farm - it will be both a paid job and work experience) Realistically I would argue animal husbandry is more important at the pre vet stage than actual clinics. There isn't anything pre-vet students can actually do than stand around and whilst it is good for gaining an understanding of the qualities required of a good vet, and seeing if you can handle the clients demands and surgery aspect, its nowhere near as essential.
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
I wouldn't worry about online work experience - it is very unlikely to exist (it would have to be free for unis to consider it equal, who would offer this for free there is no benefit to them?)

Criteria will no doubt be reduced for this and possible subsequent years. You should be able to find plenty of farm husbandry experience as social distancing is more likely to occur here (or just find a job on a farm - it will be both a paid job and work experience) Realistically I would argue animal husbandry is more important at the pre vet stage than actual clinics. There isn't anything pre-vet students can actually do than stand around and whilst it is good for gaining an understanding of the qualities required of a good vet, and seeing if you can handle the clients demands and surgery aspect, its nowhere near as essential.

I disagree that vet experience isn't essential, I would say it totally is. Vet med is a really tough degree to get through, it would be even harder to complete the degree if you realise once you start clinical ems that actually you don't want to be a vet after all. The animal husbandry can be learnt, you only have to have knowledge of it to be a vet, you don't have to actually do it apart from animal handling. Cambridge take students with very little ems experience and it shows as they often don't want to do clinical at the end. I think it would be disasterous for the profession if this was replcated in the other universities.
Original post by animalmagic
I disagree that vet experience isn't essential, I would say it totally is. Vet med is a really tough degree to get through, it would be even harder to complete the degree if you realise once you start clinical ems that actually you don't want to be a vet after all. The animal husbandry can be learnt, you only have to have knowledge of it to be a vet, you don't have to actually do it apart from animal handling. Cambridge take students with very little ems experience and it shows as they often don't want to do clinical at the end. I think it would be disasterous for the profession if this was replcated in the other universities.

I think they were referring to online work experience rather than all work experience for vetmed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending