The Student Room Group

2020 Vet med offers

So my daughter has offers for vet med at Bristol and Surrey, she also has an offer for vet nursing at Harper Adams. Should she A: Choose Bristol - firm, Surrey insurance and risk having no place if she misses out on A level grades, or B: Play it safe choose Surrey ( lower grades AAB)firm and Harper Adams for vet nursing as insurance. She's really stuck! Predicted grades ABB
Well the main question she needs to think about is, if she does miss her grades, will she be happy going to study vet nursing? Because if not, there's no point in putting it as an insurance choice, if she's going to be miserable doing it. I know I would have been - vet nurses are amazing, but it's not a career I would have been happy with.

Given everything that's happening this year, I don't think anyone can predict how grades and offers are going to work out, so I'd say that if she's really set on doing vet med and not nursing, put the two vet offers as firm and insurance. If things don't work out on results day, resit the A levels next year when things are hopefully a bit more normal, and reapply. Assuming she has her heart set on vet med, I'd say that's a way better way of doing things than going down the route of doing a vet nursing degree and then maybe trying to get into vet med as a postgrad (it can be done, but not recommended). I had to resit an A level and reapply, and now I'm sitting my final exam to become a vet today. It can be done, and a year out of her life is not a big deal in the end if it means she can do the career she wants.
Reply 2
My opinion would be to put Bristol first and then Surrey. Many Universities will lower their grade acceptances due to the current situation. If you don't get into Bristol or Surrey always look at the clearance page for Harper Adams as they may have places for vet nursing!
Original post by fidibb
So my daughter has offers for vet med at Bristol and Surrey, she also has an offer for vet nursing at Harper Adams. Should she A: Choose Bristol - firm, Surrey insurance and risk having no place if she misses out on A level grades, or B: Play it safe choose Surrey ( lower grades AAB)firm and Harper Adams for vet nursing as insurance. She's really stuck! Predicted grades ABB

As @bristolvet94 advised, if your daughter definitely wants to do vet med then she'd be better resitting then doing a nursing degree first. They are actually very different careers and I'd only recommend it as a route into vet med as a complete last resort.
Reply 4
Original post by animalmagic
As @bristolvet94 advised, if your daughter definitely wants to do vet med then she'd be better resitting then doing a nursing degree first. They are actually very different careers and I'd only recommend it as a route into vet med as a complete last resort.

The thought of not getting a place at uni and having to resit is not an option for her, especially as it'll be twice as hard next year to get a place due to students deferring this year because of covid 19.
The safe option is favourite at the minute Surrey firm /vet nursing insurance. She wouldn't be doing vet nursing as a route in vet med though that's a very expensive route!
Reply 5
Original post by bristolvet94
Well the main question she needs to think about is, if she does miss her grades, will she be happy going to study vet nursing? Because if not, there's no point in putting it as an insurance choice, if she's going to be miserable doing it. I know I would have been - vet nurses are amazing, but it's not a career I would have been happy with.

Given everything that's happening this year, I don't think anyone can predict how grades and offers are going to work out, so I'd say that if she's really set on doing vet med and not nursing, put the two vet offers as firm and insurance. If things don't work out on results day, resit the A levels next year when things are hopefully a bit more normal, and reapply. Assuming she has her heart set on vet med, I'd say that's a way better way of doing things than going down the route of doing a vet nursing degree and then maybe trying to get into vet med as a postgrad (it can be done, but not recommended). I had to resit an A level and reapply, and now I'm sitting my final exam to become a vet today. It can be done, and a year out of her life is not a big deal in the end if it means she can do the career she wants.

I know I keep telling her a year out to resit is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but that thought is so depressing she is avoiding thinking about it as an option as in her eyes she's failed.
Original post by fidibb
I know I keep telling her a year out to resit is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but that thought is so depressing she is avoiding thinking about it as an option as in her eyes she's failed.

There are plenty of people that resit one or more A-levels and I'm one of those people. I received an offer for vet school for 2019 entry and then completely flopped my A-levels. I decided to resit my A-levels and reapply and I should hopefully be starting vet school this September. I wasn't super excited to resit but I know that was the best option for me as there's no way I'd be able to afford grad entry vet med and there's no other job in the world that I'd rather do than being a veterinarian.

Does your daughter prefer Surrey or Bristol vet school? I wouldn't look at the grades of each vet school when making the decision as if she prefers Surrey then it makes sense to firm Surrey.
Original post by fidibb

If she becomes a vet she will most likely be working for 50 years if not more, so what’s one more year?

Having to take a year is absolutely not a failure, there are such a wide range of backgrounds in vet school, no one really cares where you’ve come from. And a year out can be beneficial in so many ways - it will give her the chance to mature, she could get a job and earn some extra money, she could travel or she could gain more work experience amongst many other things. It will make the transition to university much less daunting as well :smile:
Original post by fidibb

I understand that, especially since she's presumably 18 (?) so a year seems like a huge amount of time - I know it did to me. But ultimately this isn't a short term decision, it's going to stay with her. Obviously you already know this, so I'm preaching to the choir here. Just, if she wants to talk to someone who's been there, done that and got the t shirt, feel free to point her in my direction. If she wants, she can make an account and drop me a private message - I'll happily chat with her about my experiences and how I found resitting. Just a thought, it might be nice for her to hear it directly from someone who's been in a similar situation (I actually had no offers when I got my A Level results so she's already doing better than me!)
Original post by fidibb

I think it would actually be an advantage at the moment to start vet school in 2021 vs 2020. It is likely that universitiy in September will be by no means back to normal. If she got 2 offers this year she should get offers if she resits too, she'll have nore experience of the whole process and that will be to her advantage.
Original post by fidibb

Oh, and getting it out of the way and feeling like a failure by having to resit might mean she has less difficulty with the course and being a vet in the long term (you can't make every case better) as you really do have to get used to failing at things and that is the reason that so many struggle as they've never failed at anything before........
Can I ask how she got an offer if her predicted are ABB? I’m applying next year and I thought your predicted had to meet the requirements. Thanks :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Wannabevet7
Can I ask how she got an offer if her predicted are ABB? I’m applying next year and I thought your predicted had to meet the requirements. Thanks :smile:

Hi, well her school predicted her AAA however she knows what grades she has had through the 2 years, so shes trying to be more realistic. However, universities know that some schools over/ under predict so make some allowance for that. At least that's what we were told, when doing the the university circuit last year.
Original post by fidibb
Hi, well her school predicted her AAA however she knows what grades she has had through the 2 years, so shes trying to be more realistic. However, universities know that some schools over/ under predict so make some allowance for that. At least that's what we were told, when doing the the university circuit last year.

Ohh I see thank you!

I don't think all the universities even look at predicted grades as they know how inaccurate they are, Nottingham at least don't unless their policy has changed. They base their decisions on grades already obtained and their selection process instead.
Original post by animalmagic
I don't think all the universities even look at predicted grades as they know how inaccurate they are, Nottingham at least don't unless their policy has changed. They base their decisions on grades already obtained and their selection process instead.

I don’t know why I thought they only let you apply if your predicted met the requirements. That’s so interesting thank you
I don’t know why I thought they only let you apply if your predicted met the requirements. That’s so interesting thank you

Some do, you need to select the universities you apply to on that basis if you don't think your predictions will be good enough. Always apply strategically to your strengths.
Original post by fidibb

I repeated a year of sixth form and went to uni a year later - and I'm actually so glad I did! An extra year is definitely a drop in the ocean but when you are young it feels like a lifetime. Happy to speak to her about this as someone who has been there and done that!
I know for a fact that if I studied the wrong subject I would have regretted it more so than waiting another year. The job of a vet and the job of a vet nurse are completely different in terms of what the job entail .
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I repeated a year of sixth form and went to uni a year later - and I'm actually so glad I did! An extra year is definitely a drop in the ocean but when you are young it feels like a lifetime. Happy to speak to her about this as someone who has been there and done that!
I know for a fact that if I studied the wrong subject I would have regretted it more so than waiting another year. The job of a vet and the job of a vet nurse are completely different in terms of what the job entail .

I also repeated a year of sixth form, but then took a further year working after that - a few years out honestly made no difference whatsoever and I actually think it was advantageous so far!
Am I a year or two older than most people? Yes
Am I the oldest? far from it

It game me a lot of life experiences (which likely helped in my interview/application), some money saved towards uni and lead to paid work having already got experience in farm environments which counted as EMS during my pre-clinical years. You'd be surprised what an extra year does for you - when you're surrounded by 18 year olds losing their mind in halls because they've just had their life given to them up to that point you'll be far more down to earth :smile:
hey, could you give me advice on what to do if you think you'd need to resit? i don't even know where i'd do a resit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending