The Student Room Group

Sixth form

I want to go to my schools sixth form but my family don’t want me to due to how the secondary was. I can admit some things that they did didn’t make sense. But their teaching was good and I feel comfortable there. I’m an introvert soo things take longer in my eyes. So if I was too go to college I would feel way behind which is bad because of my grades. I was accepted but I don’t know what to do since I’m scared that they won’t allow me to go there. (I hope this makes sense)
Reply 1
Ik people might question what about uni how would I cope with that but eveyone will be at the same starting point. I just think that my school would be better.
At the end of the day, it's your decision and what is best for you. You'll have to properly explain why you'd like to stay since your parents only want the best for you.
Reply 3
If you don't think you would get good grades at the college then there is literally no point but make sure you're thinking this through and what would be best for you. As someone has already said, it's your choice.
Reply 4
Original post by AM_TSR
At the end of the day, it's your decision and what is best for you. You'll have to properly explain why you'd like to stay since your parents only want the best for you.

Thank you that was really comforting to hear.
Reply 5
Original post by ohnojay
If you don't think you would get good grades at the college then there is literally no point but make sure you're thinking this through and what would be best for you. As someone has already said, it's your choice.

Yes. Thank you and I am sure.
My family also wanted me to go to a different sixth form but I compromised by looking for other options and weighed out the pros and cons of that sixth form with others but I still wanted to go my school, due to the teaching. I hated most of the people of the sixth form but I knew I wanted to be taught by those teachers. I suggest looking at all the options and if that sixth form is the best option for you, totally for it and state why that is to your parents. Tbh I registered on myself but my parents didnt really go against me once they knew they couldnt stop me. It's good to consider your parent opinions but in the end, you know what you want, not your parents.
Reply 7
Original post by PetitePanda
My family also wanted me to go to a different sixth form but I compromised by looking for other options and weighed out the pros and cons of that sixth form with others but I still wanted to go my school, due to the teaching. I hated most of the people of the sixth form but I knew I wanted to be taught by those teachers. I suggest looking at all the options and if that sixth form is the best option for you, totally for it and state why that is to your parents. Tbh I registered on myself but my parents didnt really go against me once they knew they couldnt stop me. It's good to consider your parent opinions but in the end, you know what you want, not your parents.

Thank you my school situation with the people is exactly like yours. I get what you are saying and I’ll act upon it. I’m just really scared but it’s my future. Thank you.
Original post by learner38
Thank you my school situation with the people is exactly like yours. I get what you are saying and I’ll act upon it. I’m just really scared but it’s my future. Thank you.

Why are you scared, if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 9
Why are you scared, if you dont mind me asking?

I have a strict family. Me having my own opinion which they don’t agree with it’s a long process for them to understand and take me seriously and I end up feeling sad. (I hope that makes sense)
(edited 3 years ago)
I have a strict family. Me having my own opinion which they don’t agree with it’s a long process for them to understand and take me seriously and I end up feeling sad. (I hope that makes sense)

Me too tbh but it's really hard to persuade them so the best you can do is show them what you are doing is what you want and is a good choice. I understand how you feel but they wont agree with you for many more things in the future such as uni so it's good to let them know you know what's good for you and give them an opportunity to be understanding. For example, you might face this problem in the future when picking unis, if you want to go tho (e.g. they might want you to stay at home, limiting many of your options) but if you get through this, you know how to face this problem for such important decisions. They need to learn to take you seriously and this will give them a chance to very early on.
Me too tbh but it's really hard to persuade them so the best you can do is show them what you are doing is what you want and is a good choice. I understand how you feel but they wont agree with you for many more things in the future such as uni so it's good to let them know you know what's good for you and give them an opportunity to be understanding. For example, you might face this problem in the future when picking unis, if you want to go tho (e.g. they might want you to stay at home, limiting many of your options) but if you get through this, you know how to face this problem for such important decisions. They need to learn to take you seriously and this will give them a chance to very early on.

Yeah it is hard and I understand what you mean. I keep ignoring the whole sixth form topic when it comes to them asking but I’ll try my hardest next time. I wish I had a more laid back family oh well.
Yeah it is hard and I understand what you mean. I keep ignoring the whole sixth form topic when it comes to them asking but I’ll try my hardest next time. I wish I had a more laid back family oh well.

I'm glad you are going to try your hardest - good luck :rave: I do too but I still love my family and I know they will respect my decisions eventually and hopefully for uni as well, even if it takes time for them too.
I'm glad you are going to try your hardest - good luck :rave: I do too but I still love my family and I know they will respect my decisions eventually and hopefully for uni as well, even if it takes time for them too.

Goodluck to you thank you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending