The Student Room Group

university of Northampton Vs Staffordshire university

my top 2 universities are Staffordshire and Northampton for primary education with QTS. which is best in terms of the area, accommodation , course and nightlife ect. I really like the university of Northampton but I'm not sure about Staffordshire. my other options are bishop grosseteste university and derby . thanks
Original post by Leahtaylor125
my top 2 universities are Staffordshire and Northampton for primary education with QTS. which is best in terms of the area, accommodation , course and nightlife ect. I really like the university of Northampton but I'm not sure about Staffordshire. my other options are bishop grosseteste university and derby . thanks

Hey there @Leahtaylor125!

I can't really tell you much about the course at Staffs in particular, but seeing as we are also located in Staffordshire (both Stoke-on-Trent to be specific), I can tell you a little about the area! If you are based in the Stoke campus, then you are in really close proximity to Stoke train station (which makes it easier to visit home, as well as to also visit other cities by train e.g. Manchester and Birmingham). Stoke itself is really ideally located as we are actually very central in the country, so visiting other places is extremely easy if you want to have days or nights out - plus you can get a bus to Alton Towers!

You are not far from Hanley town centre which is where a lot of our major shops, restaurants and nightlife are located. There is also Festival Park nearby which has yet more shops and restaurants, a cinema, bowling and laser quest PLUS the water park Waterworld (as well as a dry ski slope if that's something you were interested in trying out).

In terms of the accommodation, there is PLENTY of student accommodation around Stoke, and as the cost of living is relatively low here, you can find some really good options for less money than a lot of other places in the country :smile:

Apologies that I couldn't help with information on the course they offer, but I hope that answers some of your other questions - and good luck with whichever university you end up going with - I'm sure that you'll love it and that that will have been the best choice for you! :smile:

^Rose

Staffs
Original post by Keele University
Hey there @Leahtaylor125!

I can't really tell you much about the course at Staffs in particular, but seeing as we are also located in Staffordshire (both Stoke-on-Trent to be specific), I can tell you a little about the area! If you are based in the Stoke campus, then you are in really close proximity to Stoke train station (which makes it easier to visit home, as well as to also visit other cities by train e.g. Manchester and Birmingham). Stoke itself is really ideally located as we are actually very central in the country, so visiting other places is extremely easy if you want to have days or nights out - plus you can get a bus to Alton Towers!

You are not far from Hanley town centre which is where a lot of our major shops, restaurants and nightlife are located. There is also Festival Park nearby which has yet more shops and restaurants, a cinema, bowling and laser quest PLUS the water park Waterworld (as well as a dry ski slope if that's something you were interested in trying out).

In terms of the accommodation, there is PLENTY of student accommodation around Stoke, and as the cost of living is relatively low here, you can find some really good options for less money than a lot of other places in the country :smile:

Apologies that I couldn't help with information on the course they offer, but I hope that answers some of your other questions - and good luck with whichever university you end up going with - I'm sure that you'll love it and that that will have been the best choice for you! :smile:

^Rose

Staffs

thanks so much for your help, I'm hoping to attend a summer school next year x
thanks so much for your help, I'm hoping to attend a summer school next year x

Oh that's amazing, that should be a really good experience for you! Lovely to see you being so proactive about your choices!:smile:

^Rose
Original post by Keele University
Oh that's amazing, that should be a really good experience for you! Lovely to see you being so proactive about your choices!:smile:

^Rose

thanks, I wanted to get my options sorted so that I can focus on my grades and work experience/scouting

Hi @Leahtaylor125

It's great to hear that you're considering Staffs for your degree. As @Keele University have already filled you in on the local area (Thanks Keele!), I can tell you a bit more about our course.

Our degree provides intensive training leading to QTS for early years or primary settings - and so we really focus on providing you with hands-on experience in our partner schools, alongside your learning experience. You'll have access to work experience placements in some of our 50+ high performing partner schools across the region - so you'll graduate with lots of practical classroom experience.

Did you have any specific questions about the course?

In terms of your other questions, like Keele said, there's lots of student accommodation around the Stoke area - and you also have lots of options when it comes to student accommodation on campus. You can find more info on this here.

As Keele also said, there's quite a vibrant nightlife around Hanley and nearby Newcastle-under-Lyme, but we also have a number of student venues on site, including nightclubs, bars and cafes.

You can find out more about the student experience on this playlist - these videos are made by our students so should give you an idea of what it's like to study at Staffs.

I hope that helps but please give me a shout if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Leahtaylor125

It's great to hear that you're considering Staffs for your degree. As @Keele University have already filled you in on the local area (Thanks Keele!), I can tell you a bit more about our course.

Our degree provides intensive training leading to QTS for early years or primary settings - and so we really focus on providing you with hands-on experience in our partner schools, alongside your learning experience. You'll have access to work experience placements in some of our 50+ high performing partner schools across the region - so you'll graduate with lots of practical classroom experience.

Did you have any specific questions about the course?

In terms of your other questions, like Keele said, there's lots of student accommodation around the Stoke area - and you also have lots of options when it comes to student accommodation on campus. You can find more info on this here.

As Keele also said, there's quite a vibrant nightlife around Hanley and nearby Newcastle-under-Lyme, but we also have a number of student venues on site, including nightclubs, bars and cafes.

You can find out more about the student experience on this playlist - these videos are made by our students so should give you an idea of what it's like to study at Staffs.

I hope that helps but please give me a shout if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy

thanks so much, I hope to attend summer school next year and get some related work experience. I do have one question, is the course all coursework or does it have exams too? thanks

Did you want an honest answer about these universities, or a marketing/advertising answer from the reps?
Original post by Reality Check
Did you want an honest answer about these universities, or a marketing/advertising answer from the reps?

either tbh
thanks so much, I hope to attend summer school next year and get some related work experience. I do have one question, is the course all coursework or does it have exams too? thanks

Hi @Leahtaylor125

Summer school and work experience are definitely a good idea. Hands-on practical experience is so crucial with degrees like this one.

I've just queried this with the course leader, Mike, and this is his reply:

"There are no exams on the BA Primary Ed (QTS) course. Assessment is made up of assignments connected to the 12 modules and school placement based evidence."

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Leahtaylor125

Summer school and work experience are definitely a good idea. Hands-on practical experience is so crucial with degrees like this one.

I've just queried this with the course leader, Mike, and this is his reply:

"There are no exams on the BA Primary Ed (QTS) course. Assessment is made up of assignments connected to the 12 modules and school placement based evidence."

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy

thanks, that's really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending