The Student Room Group

Moving from London ( UK) to Ontario ( Canada) this summer .

Moving from London ( UK) to Ontario ( Canada) this summer .

Which I’ve done a bit of research which I’ve seen in grade 12 ( their final year and the year I’ll be going into ) I’ve found that they are required to do grade 12 maths and English. Which I’m currently in year 12 in England doing A level biology , psychology and geography ( and I don’t do A level maths or English ) and I got somewhat average GCSEs ( I don’t know if they count towards anything there ) .
I would like to major in either sociology or psychology next year at uni which I’ve looked and I think some universities in Ontario require grade 12 maths and English.

So if anyone has any advise to how to cope with changing to a new education system that would be HIGHLY appreciated x .
Hi goodyxox. What an adventure!

The most straightforward option would be to enroll at a high school in Ontario in September on the Ontario Secondary School Diploma programme.

Firstly, make sure that you take your AS exams this summer in your British Year 12 subjects. You will then present your GCSE results (equivalent to Canadian Grade 9 and 10 credits) and AS results (equivalent to Canadian Grade 11 credits) to your new high school.

The Ontario school will determine precisely how your GCSEs and ASes map on to the OSSD requirements, and will make a programme for your Grade 12 year. You may already have enough credits for most subjects, and will only have to play catch up with one or two OSSD credits.

Don't worry if your GCSE results weren't fantastic, though. The OSSD system is flexible enough.

Hope that helps.
Reply 2
Hi I have a similar situation, but it is for my daughter. (Moving from UK to Toronto in 2020)We are planning to move to Toronto next year after she finishes her GCSE's by which time she will be 16. I believe she will move into Grade 11 and do the equivalent of A-levels. I am still unsure of the process and cant find information on what the entry requirements will be for a public highschool. Also if my daughter does grade 11 and grade 12 in Toronto (doing the A level equivalent), does she have the option to return to study in the UK and attend a UK university?Look forward to a response.
Original post by Keldero
Hi I have a similar situation, but it is for my daughter. (Moving from UK to Toronto in 2020)We are planning to move to Toronto next year after she finishes her GCSE's by which time she will be 16. I believe she will move into Grade 11 and do the equivalent of A-levels. I am still unsure of the process and cant find information on what the entry requirements will be for a public highschool. Also if my daughter does grade 11 and grade 12 in Toronto (doing the A level equivalent), does she have the option to return to study in the UK and attend a UK university?Look forward to a response.

Like I said 6 months ago, the OSSD system is flexible enough to deal with later entrants to high school who come from abroad. Just take a copy of the GCSE results, so that the TDSB can see what your daughter will have achieved.

Now, the second part might be trickier on a couple of counts:
1) qualifications: not every UK university will accept the OSSD alone; they might require APs as well. Check the foreign qualifications section on the various university website.
2) finances: if she is abroad for only 2 years, it might (and I stress the might) be possible for her to return to the UK and be eligible for Home fee status. However, the rulings on this could change in the meantime. Worst case scenario: she comes back having to pay overseas fees, and with no access to student finance. If you are/will be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, however, she will be able to access OSAP grants and loans -- even for degrees studied in the UK.
Original post by 学生の父
Like I said 6 months ago, the OSSD system is flexible enough to deal with later entrants to high school who come from abroad. Just take a copy of the GCSE results, so that the TDSB can see what your daughter will have achieved.

Now, the second part might be trickier on a couple of counts:
1) qualifications: not every UK university will accept the OSSD alone; they might require APs as well. Check the foreign qualifications section on the various university websit
2) finances: if she is abroad for only 2 years, it might (and I stress the might) be possible for her to return to the UK and be eligible for Home fee status. However, the rulings on this could change in the meantime. Worst case scenario: she comes back having to pay overseas fees, and with no access to student finance. If you are/will be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, however, she will be able to access OSAP grants and loans -- even for degrees studied in the UK.

Hello, I'm in the same situation as Keldero however likely I won't be returning to the UK after Grade 12. Your previous post was very helpful, just wanted to know what exactly the OSSD and TDSB are.
Thanks!
Original post by anonymous :))
Hello, I'm in the same situation as Keldero however likely I won't be returning to the UK after Grade 12. Your previous post was very helpful, just wanted to know what exactly the OSSD and TDSB are.
Thanks!

OSSD = Ontario Secondary School Diploma (the school leaving diploma which comprises courses and credits built up throughout high school, but which can also include courses from outside the Ontario system).

TDSB = Toronto District School Board (the school board for public English-medium non-denominational schools in Toronto).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending