The Student Room Group

IMU vs Newcastle Malaysia

Hi, I've actually applied to both IMU and NuMed, I've already passed the interview for NuMed and the IMU interview is sometime in May.
I want to know your opinions if I should just accept NuMed or decline it and do IMU interview. I've seen a lot of doctors in hospitals who got an education at IMU but NuMed is a UK branch university. So I'm really not sure. All your opinions would be extremely valuable.
I don’t have any affiliation with either and not a graduate of either medical school. Both are popular with Malaysians and IMU was establish more than 20 years while NuMed was established 10 years back so IMU would have graduated more doctors.

It depends on what sort of qualification you are seeking and where you want to work after qualifying as a doctor. IMU offers two streams which are its own 5 year degree or its partner programme. IMU’s own programme means you can work in Malaysia but not overseas as a doctor. The partner programme allows you to transfer to a partner university overseas after 3 years and you graduate with that overseas university degree - the advantage is that it is recognized overseas (say a UK university) which allows you to register with the GMC and complete your F1 and F2 in the UK. The negative of the partner programme is that you are not guaranteed which overseas university will take you. Further, the number of universities participating in partner programme have reduced and your costs are higher because it is an additional 3 years at the partner university. A lot of the UK universities participating with IMU are Scottish so you have to pay an additional £10,000 per year on top of your tuition fee as a NHS surcharge.

NuMed is a branch of Newcastle University and you get the same degree as that in the UK. The problem is that you might not get a work permit to do your F1 and F2 training in the UK and you cannot register with the UK GMC if you do not complete your F1 in the UK. So you will need to look at training with a local hospital in Malaysia and need to satisfy the local requirements.

This is based on my research when I was applying to medical schools. Look into Monash Malaysia as I hear their graduates are able to get work permits to train as doctors in Australia so you will be able to register with the Australian equivalent of the GMC.
Original post by PJgirl2001
I don’t have any affiliation with either and not a graduate of either medical school. Both are popular with Malaysians and IMU was establish more than 20 years while NuMed was established 10 years back so IMU would have graduated more doctors.

It depends on what sort of qualification you are seeking and where you want to work after qualifying as a doctor. IMU offers two streams which are its own 5 year degree or its partner programme. IMU’s own programme means you can work in Malaysia but not overseas as a doctor. The partner programme allows you to transfer to a partner university overseas after 3 years and you graduate with that overseas university degree - the advantage is that it is recognized overseas (say a UK university) which allows you to register with the GMC and complete your F1 and F2 in the UK. The negative of the partner programme is that you are not guaranteed which overseas university will take you. Further, the number of universities participating in partner programme have reduced and your costs are higher because it is an additional 3 years at the partner university. A lot of the UK universities participating with IMU are Scottish so you have to pay an additional £10,000 per year on top of your tuition fee as a NHS surcharge.

NuMed is a branch of Newcastle University and you get the same degree as that in the UK. The problem is that you might not get a work permit to do your F1 and F2 training in the UK and you cannot register with the UK GMC if you do not complete your F1 in the UK. So you will need to look at training with a local hospital in Malaysia and need to satisfy the local requirements.

This is based on my research when I was applying to medical schools. Look into Monash Malaysia as I hear their graduates are able to get work permits to train as doctors in Australia so you will be able to register with the Australian equivalent of the GMC.

May I ask why people might not get the F1 and F2 training in the UK if NuMed degree is recognized by the UK or the same degree as that in the UK ??
Reply 3
Thankyou for your reply
I’ve declined NuMed offer and done IMU interview and passed it and now I have a conditional offer that I need to accept

For Monash Malaysia, it’s actually it really MBBS it’s bachelor of medical science and doctor of medicine, is there a difference between the two, and which one is better? Now that I’ve looked into Monash I’m a little confused with this
Original post by Jackson66
May I ask why people might not get the F1 and F2 training in the UK if NuMed degree is recognized by the UK or the same degree as that in the UK ??

British Government immigration policy. Non-EU nationals must meet certain criteria and have a starting salary in excess of a certain level. Most graduates will not get that minimum salary.
Original post by Aiko chan
Thankyou for your reply
I’ve declined NuMed offer and done IMU interview and passed it and now I have a conditional offer that I need to accept

For Monash Malaysia, it’s actually it really MBBS it’s bachelor of medical science and doctor of medicine, is there a difference between the two, and which one is better? Now that I’ve looked into Monash I’m a little confused with this

There is no difference between MbChb and MBBS. Both the same.
Reply 6
There is no difference between MbChb and MBBS. Both the same.

So are there any specific advantages of one or another?
What’s IMU? You can really consider going to TC Dublin
Reply 8
IMU is international medical university in Malaysia
Original post by Emma Watson7946
What’s IMU? You can really consider going to TC Dublin

I have checked on TC Dublin website, the applicant process has closed :frown:
So are there any specific advantages of one or another?

There is no difference between either - both basically mean Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. MbChb takes from its abbreviation from Latin. If you check other universities like Nottingham and Cambridge have slightly different variations from the above two.

More important is whether your medical degree is recognised by the UK GMC and from 2023 there will be external exam for all UK medical graduates before gaining a place in FY1. Not sure how foreign grads will take this exam.

More important is for you to check where your medical degree will allow you to work and this depends on your plans. For example the IMU qualification and Newcastle degree ( UK and NuMed ) is not recognised by Singapore from this year onwards. Same with the majority of the Irish universities. Perfectly fine if your plans is to practice in Malaysia.
Reply 11
There is no difference between either - both basically mean Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. MbChb takes from its abbreviation from Latin. If you check other universities like Nottingham and Cambridge have slightly different variations from the above two.

More important is whether your medical degree is recognised by the UK GMC and from 2023 there will be external exam for all UK medical graduates before gaining a place in FY1. Not sure how foreign grads will take this exam.

More important is for you to check where your medical degree will allow you to work and this depends on your plans. For example the IMU qualification and Newcastle degree ( UK and NuMed ) is not recognised by Singapore from this year onwards. Same with the majority of the Irish universities. Perfectly fine if your plans is to practice in Malaysia.

Ic thankyouu
Ic thankyouu

Oh, there’s an option that you can go for Hungary, one of my friend is going to attend a medical school there, see if it help👍
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Oh, there’s an option that you can go for Hungary, one of my friend is going to attend a medical school there, see if it help👍

Ahh actually I want to do MBBS in Malaysia as it’s close by and then for maybe masters I’ll go further away
But thanks for the advice.
Reply 14
Iam an international student confused between imu and numed. I want to practice outside malaysia. What do you suggest would be a better option?
TCD
Reply 16
HI I have IMU interview scheduled in 3 weeks time. can you tell what sort of questions they asked and how long it took you to know the results ?Thank you

Latest