The Student Room Group

How do I convince my teacher to let me do my chosen A-levels?

I was an idiot and chose A-level subjects without really thinking about it much ( and also because I was limited with GCSE grades) and have regretted it for a few months now. I'm planning on talking to my teacher soon but I feel like there's not much evidence to change their mind since my GCSE grades are either 1 or 2 grades lower than the requirements though I feel like they are due to my former GCSE teachers not allowing me to do higher tier papers. Has anyone been through a similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

When I wanted to change 2 of my A-Level subjects, I went into the college and asked to speak to the head of sixth form and the subject leaders of what I wanted to study. I then basically gave a whole explanation of why I'd be good for the course and my work ethic and they agreed on the day
Reply 2
Original post by AM_TSR
When I wanted to change 2 of my A-Level subjects, I went into the college and asked to speak to the head of sixth form and the subject leaders of what I wanted to study. I then basically gave a whole explanation of why I'd be good for the course and my work ethic and they agreed on the day

Thanks for the reply, and was just wondering whether you also met the required grade?
Original post by atomic26
Thanks for the reply, and was just wondering whether you also met the required grade?

No problem, I was one grade below but only by 1 mark tbf
(edited 3 years ago)

I knew about someone who was in a situation like this and eventually the sixth form agreed to allow the student to do the A levels in which he did not have the GCSE grades for. However, they would examine the student after 3 months on the taught topics and he would have to get a decent grade. If he didn't then they told him they would take him off the course. On the other hand, some places are more flexible than others, so show your passion and dedication for the subject you want to do as @AM_TSR stated and show them why you're a suitable candidate.
What year are you in?
Reply 6
Original post by PetitePanda
What year are you in?

Year 12
Year 12

What A levels are you doing now? What A levels are you wanting to study? Are you resitting yr12?
I don’t know if you mean you’re joining year 12 or are already in year 12 (so you’ve spent almost an academic year doing subjects you don’t like).

If you’re already in year 12 the only realistic option would be to repeat year 12 with subjects you’re actually interested in and benefit your future career. It’s too late to learn a whole years worth of content alongside year 13 content.

But if you’re joining year 12 for the first time your best option would be to show that you’re committed to achieving good results in the subject. If you give up as soon as they say no they’ll assume you’re not serious about the subject. I know students who were persistently seeking out the head of year, head of sixth form, and the head teacher until eventually they accepted them onto the course despite being one grade below the requirement. You have to be patient and ask for a chance to prove you’re good enough for the course.

Good luck. (:
Reply 9
What A levels are you doing now? What A levels are you wanting to study? Are you resitting yr12?

Currently I'm studying French, English Lit and Media. I've wanted to take Geography, psychology and History, which would mean I would have to prbably retake year 12.
Reply 10
Original post by squareseven
I don’t know if you mean you’re joining year 12 or are already in year 12 (so you’ve spent almost an academic year doing subjects you don’t like).

If you’re already in year 12 the only realistic option would be to repeat year 12 with subjects you’re actually interested in and benefit your future career. It’s too late to learn a whole years worth of content alongside year 13 content.

But if you’re joining year 12 for the first time your best option would be to show that you’re committed to achieving good results in the subject. If you give up as soon as they say no they’ll assume you’re not serious about the subject. I know students who were persistently seeking out the head of year, head of sixth form, and the head teacher until eventually they accepted them onto the course despite being one grade below the requirement. You have to be patient and ask for a chance to prove you’re good enough for the course.

Good luck. (:

Unfortunately I have wasted a year, but I'd rather retake than continue doing subjects I dislike but I''ll see what happens, thanks for the help.
Currently I'm studying French, English Lit and Media. I've wanted to take Geography, psychology and History, which would mean I would have to prbably iretake year 12.

Tbh those sounds like you would be able to do so. What grades did you need to meet and what were your grades like? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions I just want to get a better understanding
Currently I'm studying French, English Lit and Media. I've wanted to take Geography, psychology and History, which would mean I would have to prbably retake year 12.

You said you didn't get the grades you needed as you weren't allowed to do Higher Tier papers but Geography, History and Psychology don't have tiered papers. I don't know what the grade requirements were and how far you missed them by but whether or not you can swap depends on your chosen 6th form(s). Now might be a good point to ask them and to ask what you would need to do between now and September to get them to let you on the course.
Unfortunately I have wasted a year, but I'd rather retake than continue doing subjects I dislike but I''ll see what happens, thanks for the help.

I wouldn’t think of it as a waste of a year, there’s lots of things that you’ve probably learnt from doing year 12 that will better prepare you for the exams (such as how to properly revise for a certain subject). I would say though, as much as possible if you’re thinking of going to university, gear your subjects to the course you want to do. If it’s not absolutely necessary don’t repeat, try to find alternative solutions or the actual root of the problem (the reason why you don’t like the subjects).
Original post by Compost
You said you didn't get the grades you needed as you weren't allowed to do Higher Tier papers but Geography, History and Psychology don't have tiered papers. I don't know what the grade requirements were and how far you missed them by but whether or not you can swap depends on your chosen 6th form(s). Now might be a good point to ask them and to ask what you would need to do between now and September to get them to let you on the course.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t let you on any course that you like since you’ve already done a year of A Levels. English in some ways has prepared you for History anyways.
Reply 15
Tbh those sounds like you would be able to do so. What grades did you need to meet and what were your grades like? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions I just want to get a better understanding

Thanks for the help and no problem, I should've been more detailed in my question, but for Geography I'm not sure what the requirements were but a student in my class does it and said she had not met the requirements yet they still allowed her to do the subject. For Psychology I am only 1 grade lower than required ( maths :frown:) and history I have met the requirement.
Thanks for the help and no problem, I should've been more detailed in my question, but for Geography I'm not sure what the requirements were but a student in my class does it and said she had not met the requirements yet they still allowed her to do the subject. For Psychology I am only 1 grade lower than required ( maths :frown:) and history I have met the requirement.

My friends wasnt able to go to history but my classmate did despite not achieving the requirements because the teacher knew him. Honestly I dont see why you wouldnt be able to do history tbh. For geography, it depends why they didnt let you. For Psychology, it doesnt have that much maths. Tbh all these sounds like pretty reasonable. I really suggest contacting your teaching asking to do these A levels and if they dont let you, ask why and try to provide evidence to support you doing these A levels. For example, for psychology, you could ask them to let you do higher maths paper to get the grade you didnt get but for the rest, I honestly dont know why they wouldnt unless your geography knowledge wasnt enough (which you could ask to do a test for to prove you know your basics).
Reply 17
Original post by squareseven
I wouldn’t think of it as a waste of a year, there’s lots of things that you’ve probably learnt from doing year 12 that will better prepare you for the exams (such as how to properly revise for a certain subject). I would say though, as much as possible if you’re thinking of going to university, gear your subjects to the course you want to do. If it’s not absolutely necessary don’t repeat, try to find alternative solutions or the actual root of the problem (the reason why you don’t like the subjects).

That's true, I've never really thought of looking at it from that perspective, but after looking at possible degree choices I think the best choice would be to take those subjects as they are seem to open doors to the subjects I'd like to possibly take whereas the subjects I'm taking currently wouldn't allow me to pursue anything I find interesting.
Reply 18
My friends wasnt able to go to history but my classmate did despite not achieving the requirements because the teacher knew him. Honestly I dont see why you wouldnt be able to do history tbh. For geography, it depends why they didnt let you. For Psychology, it doesnt have that much maths. Tbh all these sounds like pretty reasonable. I really suggest contacting your teaching asking to do these A levels and if they dont let you, ask why and try to provide evidence to support you doing these A levels. For example, for psychology, you could ask them to let you do higher maths paper to get the grade you didnt get but for the rest, I honestly dont know why they wouldnt unless your geography knowledge wasnt enough (which you could ask to do a test for to prove you know your basics).

Yeah it's a really annoying situation but I'll definitely take that advice on board and update on what happens when I finally get the chance to talk to her.
Yeah it's a really annoying situation but I'll definitely take that advice on board and update on what happens when I finally get the chance to talk to her.

Good luck :rave:

Quick Reply

Latest