Can I take my holiday pay while still working?

Watch
Yasuda
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I work in a shop and I'm on a 10 hour contract, but I do 20-30 hours per week. I leave in late September for uni but I'm still entitled to 5 weeks of paid holiday. Since I'm leaving soon I don't want to take 5 whole weeks off even if it's spread out, because I don't have much time left. I will miss some of my coworkers so I want to make the most of my time working there, also it doesn't seem right to take that much time off in such a short period, and also I usually do 2-3x more hours than my contract so taking weeks off means I will earn less. But it feels wasteful to not take this free money (it works out to be over £400). Is it possible to still get this paid holiday money without taking weeks off? (Perhaps turning my normal days off where I don't have a shift into a 'holiday' day?) I'm scared to bring this up with my manager because she doesn't like me and I don't want to sound greedy lol
SingerPro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’d explain to her that you want to take your holidays but still want to do overtime on other days during the week. You probably won’t actually be entitled to 5 weeks of holiday because technically for every hour you work you get x amount of holiday entitlement - you’re given the option to take it all based on the assumption you will work for the rest of the holiday year. If you take too many holidays before you resign the extra holiday you have taken will be deducted from your final wages. For instance, I could take all my holiday in April (when my holiday allowance resets) and leave at the end of May - I would have to pay about 90% of that holiday pay back because I would not have worked enough contracted hours to make up my full standard holiday entitlement.

Your manager should have the details of how many hours of holiday you have earned and therefore will have to take before you leave. Hope this helps!
sleepingsunshine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Depending on when your holiday year has started you might not actually have 5 weeks to take, it's based on the full year. So say your holiday year started in April you might of only worked enough for 1/2 weeks holiday paid.

As your leaving in September I would just not take them, when you leave your employer has to pay you for holidays not taken. In the same sense that if you take 5 weeks but haven't worked enough to earn those 5 weeks your employer has the right to deduct the over payment of holidays.
Yasuda
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by sleepingsunshine)
Depending on when your holiday year has started you might not actually have 5 weeks to take, it's based on the full year. So say your holiday year started in April you might of only worked enough for 1/2 weeks holiday paid.

As your leaving in September I would just not take them, when you leave your employer has to pay you for holidays not taken. In the same sense that if you take 5 weeks but haven't worked enough to earn those 5 weeks your employer has the right to deduct the over payment of holidays.
How do I make sure I get paid for holidays not taken that I was entitled to? Or how do I work out how much it is?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (897)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads