The Student Room Group

OCD in the British army

Hi, I really have my heart set on joining the british, but I have OCD. I'm currently being treated for it, though my therapist says it is mild. How long do I have to wait before I can join?

Also, I have acne on my face, and a few spots on my upper back, (no lower than my shoulder blade). Will I be disqualified?

Thank you very much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hgtyvv76r
Hi, I really have my heart set on joining the british, but I have OCD. I'm currently being treated for it, though my therapist says it is mild. How long do I have to wait before I can join?

Also, I have acne on my face, and a few spots on my upper back, (no lower than my shoulder blade). Will I be disqualified?

Thank you very much.

Only the Army can say, here you'll only get guesswork.

Some things might rule you out permanently, some things might only rule you out while you're on medication, other things might rule you out for x number of years.

To find out where you stand, contact the Army.
Or, read this; https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/medical#which-medical-conditions-will-stop-me-joining?
Original post by Drewski
Only the Army can say, here you'll only get guesswork.

Some things might rule you out permanently, some things might only rule you out while you're on medication, other things might rule you out for x number of years.

To find out where you stand, contact the Army.
Or, read this; https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/can-i-join/medical#which-medical-conditions-will-stop-me-joining?

Drewski’s points here are valid and correct. I will warn you that the Army usually errs on the side of caution especially when mental issues are involved. They very much take the stance of better safe than sorry so expect either a rejection or a delay for several years if you have recently received treatment/medication.
Reply 3
I'm currently in CBT treatment. If I havent been diagnosed, and it isn't on my medical records, do I still have to disclose the illness?
I'm currently in CBT treatment. If I havent been diagnosed, and it isn't on my medical records, do I still have to disclose the illness?

If it isn’t on your records then it is unlikely they will find out during the application. I ask you this however- clearly it has bothered you to the point of seeking professional help, so what are you going to do when in training and cannot get help being subjected to stressful and dangerous conditions often dirty and wet? And then when you go on operations and you are in even worse and dangerous conditions? You have to consider whether that risk would be worth it. Remember everything you do in the army can have an affect on someone’s life. What happens if you cannot fulfill the role you’re supposed to on operations and somebody gets killed because of it.

It’s a real world out there, you need to think about these things.
Reply 5
In all honesty, my issue isnt with numbers or germs. I take a long time to shower- 30 minutes to be exact. It's about cleanliness, but not germs, if you get me.
In all honesty, my issue isnt with numbers or germs. I take a long time to shower- 30 minutes to be exact. It's about cleanliness, but not germs, if you get me.

I can assure you that you won’t get 30 minutes to shower during training. And what are you going to do when you can’t wash for literally weeks on end when you’re in a forward operating base in the field. The longest I have gone without a wash is 3 weeks, and I have been covered in blood, animal and human poo, mud, water. There are going to be long periods where you are unclean I can assure you.
Reply 7
I understand all of that completely. The thing with me is that, I shower excessively because I feel that, if I dont wash properly, I will be judged, as people would look upon me as scruffy and lazy. However, in the army, in a situation you described, I would be justifiably dirty, and so would everyone else, so it wouldn't bother me.

Can I ask, entirely out of curiosity, hypothetically, what would happen if I did take excessively long in the shower? Also, how long are you allowed?

btw, thanks for talking to me about this, I really do appreciate it.
I understand all of that completely. The thing with me is that, I shower excessively because I feel that, if I dont wash properly, I will be judged, as people would look upon me as scruffy and lazy. However, in the army, in a situation you described, I would be justifiably dirty, and so would everyone else, so it wouldn't bother me.

Can I ask, entirely out of curiosity, hypothetically, what would happen if I did take excessively long in the shower? Also, how long are you allowed?

btw, thanks for talking to me about this, I really do appreciate it.

It’s not really a case of having a time limit on a shower, but a daily occurrence would be during training to use an example... you would probably get up around 0530, have a 10 minute shower and be ready for 0550-0600. You have to be out of the shower because you and your fellow recruits need to clean the showers Out for inspection- which if you’re stood in them getting a wash for 30 mins isn’t going to happen.

Another example from training would be after you get back from PT, you arrive back at your accommodation and you’re told right everyone has 20 minutes I want you washed and changed and stood back here in 20 minutes time.

During training you just don’t have time to be stood in a shower for 30 minutes. You could mask it easier out of training because there isn’t really as much of a rush for timings once you pass out of your training, but there is no way you would get away with 30 minutes of showering during training.

What would happen if you took a 30 minute shower and your instructors told you to take a 10 minute one... that just wouldn’t happen, if you completely ignored and chinned off your instructor you would be punished and your fellow recruits would be punished also as you are all a team and a failure by one is a failure by all.
Reply 9
Thanks for clearing that up for me. This might sound strange, but could you tell me how I could shower quicker?
Thanks for clearing that up for me. This might sound strange, but could you tell me how I could shower quicker?

I’ve had stranger questions during my time as an instructor I can assure you. Your corporals will literally show you how to shower/shave etc when you start training. I have never had an issue getting out of a shower after 10 minute so maybe wear a watch in the shower and then break it down into little bits. First 2 minutes you wash your hair, next 2 minutes you do armpits, private’s etc. Just break it down and try get it down to 5-10 minutes.

It’s easier said than done for me as I have never suffered from OCD and do not pretend to understand the intricacies of it but you need to think that standing in the shower for 10 minutes with shampoo and shower gel is going to get you just as clean as standing in the shower for 20 or 30 minutes.

Are you male or female? If you are male there is likely going to be more males there waiting to use the showers so you will be hurried along as well. If you are a female likelihood is you’ll only have a few females in your platoon so there won’t be as much demand for showers.

There are separate male and female shower rooms but you don’t get your own private shower.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you. Being honest, I think you've just helped me more than my therapist. Thank you sir. Can I ask what rank you are/were. Are you still serving?
Thank you. Being honest, I think you've just helped me more than my therapist. Thank you sir. Can I ask what rank you are/were. Are you still serving?

Im still serving yes, I’m a Captain been in for 6 years, 2 of which were as an instructor to soldiers. I don’t instruct anymore however as I have rejoined my unit.
Reply 13
That's really cool. I wanted to join as an officer but I dobt have enough ALIS points. I want to join an armoured corps. What corps and regiment are you in?
That's really cool. I wanted to join as an officer but I dobt have enough ALIS points. I want to join an armoured corps. What corps and regiment are you in?

I’m in the Infantry but don’t wish to give my regiment as it will be easy to identify me meaning I won’t be able to give honest answers using my own lessons learned.

Going the soldier route is hugely rewarding and also a great career.
Reply 15
Ok, I understand. Do you know if it is possible to jump from soldier to officer at some point?
Ok, I understand. Do you know if it is possible to jump from soldier to officer at some point?

I believe somebody asked that the other day in these forums (it might even have been you) and I believe I gave a pretty detailed answer on there. If you find that mate it should be pretty helpful for you 👍🏼👍🏼

Long story short- yes it is entirely possible.
Reply 17
I think that was me. It's great talking to an officer. I have great respect for all of the military, but I always feel lucky talking to an officer. I think it's because Sandhurst is so prestigious, and also because being an officer heavily implies that you are a leader.

If I do make it into the army, one day, I'll make it as an officer.
I hope you manage to overcome your battles and make it in :smile: fingers crossed for you!
Reply 19
Thank you very much. I Really appreciate that. Believe me what you've just said is uplifting. I'm not sure if you read the whole feed, but I mentioned how I shower for 30 minutes. Well, today, i got my quickest shower in about 3 years- I took only 12 minutes, (which included a shave, lol). Its a huge improvement.

I'll keep you in my prayers. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest