The Student Room Group

choosing a third alevel between sociology and economics

im currently in year 11 and i want to take psychology and history next year but cant decide whether to take economics or sociology as a third alevel. i want to go ahead to study law at a russel group university. i know its a competitive course so it looks better to take economics which is a facilitating subject compared to sociology which is seen as a soft subject however looking at both specifications sociology seems more interesting. Our school only allows us to do 3 alevels so which alevel choice is better to take?
(edited 3 years ago)
**** facilitating subjects and supposedly soft subjects. They put facilitating subjects out to pasture years ago. And frankly as long as you have the subjects you need, unis won't really care about the others as long as you have the right grades.

For law, anything goes, subject-wise. So if you think Sociology looks more fun, go ahead and do it. Russell group unis couldn't give a rats arse which one you pick so it's all down to you. Which one interests you more? Which one do you think you'll do better in?

I think you've taken more of a liking to sociology.
I really recommend Sociology, the content you cover is really important to know, and for me personally it definitely changed the way i look at society and the world in general.

I'd say it's more important to take a subject you enjoy than one you think you should do. As long as you get good grades, not much else matters.

Take Sociology!!
Reply 3
To be honest i would rather take sociology but i feel like someone who has taken harder alevels would be preferred and be more likely to be accepted in the application process for university so thats why im still unsure
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by student785
To be honest i would rather take sociology but i feel like someone who has taken harder alevels would be preferred and be more likely to be accepted in the application process for university so thats why im still unsure

I think it's all down to grades. the concepts in Sociology are for the most part easy to understand (although it does depend on the person) however this doesn't mean that it is easy to get a high grade in the subject.
Therefore, it is still impressive to get an A / A*.
History is a challenging subject for sure with the amount of content you get, but i think Psychology and Sociology would give you a really good foundation for taking law. You'd become much more aware of problems in society and inequalities etc.
Reply 5
im currently in year 11 and i want to take psychology and history next year but cant decide whether to take economics or sociology as a third alevel. i want to go ahead to study law at a russel group university. i know its a competitive course so it looks better to take economics which is a facilitating subject compared to sociology which is seen as a soft subject however looking at both specifications sociology seems more interesting. Our school only allows us to do 3 alevels so which alevel choice is better to take?

Personally, I chose Psychology, Sociology and English language to study at A level.
I feel as if Sociology and Psychology really compliment eachother as A levels. Choose the A level which you think you will enjoy the most, Sociology really helped me understand the world better, when it comes to Politics, Crime and the behaviour of society (which, links heavily into Psychology)
So as I said, Sociology in my opinion would be the better option, however it is your life.
I feel as if Sociology also opens many new doors, and it's made me truly understand how people work (which once again, links with Psychology)

I'm studying Psychology with Criminology at University, just incase you were wondering

Thanks
Ezzie

University of Hull - BSc Psychology with Criminology
Both are good A levels. Your A level combination is fine for both Scottish law and English law. Facilitating subjects doesnt matter anymore except one college in Cambridge and economics is not even a facilitating subject. Sociology is definitely not a soft subject and no A level is after they made A levels harder. Choose sociology if that appeals to you more. You want to choose something that you enjoy so you can motivate yourself to get higher grades, which unis for law want

Hi @student785

I would choose which subject you enjoy more.

I personally studied both History and Sociology at A-Level and enjoyed both subjects.

The only thing which I would suggest is to check the universities within the Russel group universities if that is the type of university which you would like to attend and see if any of them have any specific entry requirements.
But also don't limit yourself to that small selection of universities as there are plenty of Universities out there which offer Law courses.

Look on UCAS at the entry requirements for law courses as well as that may help.

Emily
PhD History student/candidate

LLB Law@Hull - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/law-llb-hons

Quick Reply