The Student Room Group

Dissertation

I know I should try not to worry as it is all submitted but I can't help it. I wrote 13,200 words for my final year dissertation. I put my all into this, however I read back through and in the dissertation as a whole there are 5 accidently repeated words. There are also 3 minor grammar errors. I got in touch with my supervisor who explained that these minor errors would not impact the overall grade.

Sorry for this thread, its just my autism makes me really anxious with these things. Just wondering has anyone ever made silly errors like this? I honestly think I was just really stressed with everything going on. I really appreciate peoples responses and hope I'm not bothering anyone.

Thanks!!
Original post by exams 17
I know I should try not to worry as it is all submitted but I can't help it. I wrote 13,200 words for my final year dissertation. I put my all into this, however I read back through and in the dissertation as a whole there are 5 accidently repeated words. There are also 3 minor grammar errors. I got in touch with my supervisor who explained that these minor errors would not impact the overall grade.

Sorry for this thread, its just my autism makes me really anxious with these things. Just wondering has anyone ever made silly errors like this? I honestly think I was just really stressed with everything going on. I really appreciate peoples responses and hope I'm not bothering anyone.

Thanks!!

Hi @exams 17

I wouldn't worry too much as your supervisor has said that the minor errors should not affect your grade. Also your tutor may be taking the current situation into account. I've made minor errors in some of my work and it hasn't changed my grade significantly. Also I know it's hard but I would say try not to think about it as there's nothing you can do to change it.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @exams 17

I wouldn't worry too much as your supervisor has said that the minor errors should not affect your grade. Also your tutor may be taking the current situation into account. I've made minor errors in some of my work and it hasn't changed my grade significantly. Also I know it's hard but I would say try not to think about it as there's nothing you can do to change it.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Aww thanks so much fot responding I really do appreciate it!!

Thanks!!

You will be fine,
in a 13K document there will be lots of small mistakes, they exist in every dissertation.

Obviously you try and minimise them by combing through a couple times but its just the reality of compiling such a big report in a tight time window single handedly.

Thanks!!

Hey,

Its okay to be anxious after submitting your dissertation but I would advise you to not worry as much. You have contacted the supervisor and just like he has advised, it small minor errors that may not even have a big impact on your grade as you think it would. There is alot more to your dissertation like your topic, layout, grammar, referencing and so much more so don't let it stress you.

Goodluck
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀
Reply 5
Normal. You never catch everything. My PhD thesis was proofed by me, my supervisor, and my mate. It was then read, examined and proofed by two professors (actual professors), one of whom is the linguistic equivalent of rain man (and who found 60 odd grammatical errors). I fixed and submitted a final version... And I found another 3 typos in the submitted version a week ago.

So don't fret
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
You will be fine,
in a 13K document there will be lots of small mistakes, they exist in every dissertation.

Obviously you try and minimise them by combing through a couple times but its just the reality of compiling such a big report in a tight time window single handedly.

Thsnk you so much I really appreciate it!
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey,

Its okay to be anxious after submitting your dissertation but I would advise you to not worry as much. You have contacted the supervisor and just like he has advised, it small minor errors that may not even have a big impact on your grade as you think it would. There is alot more to your dissertation like your topic, layout, grammar, referencing and so much more so don't let it stress you.

Goodluck
Doreen-maria- Official Student Rep 😀

Thank you so much!!
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
Normal. You never catch everything. My PhD thesis was proofed by me, my supervisor, and my mate. It was then read, examined and proofed by two professors (actual professors), one of whom is the linguistic equivalent of rain man (and who found 60 odd grammatical errors). I fixed and submitted a final version... And I found another 3 typos in the submitted version a week ago.

So don't fret

Thanks for getting back to me I really appreciate it and I'm sure you will do great!
Reply 9
Thanks for getting back to me I really appreciate it and I'm sure you will do great!

Oh I was awarded in early 2019, that's why I'm saying you ought not worry. everyone has little things that sneak in, but so long as the overall standard is good, you will be fine!
Reply 10
Original post by gjd800
Oh I was awarded in early 2019, that's why I'm saying you ought not worry. everyone has little things that sneak in, but so long as the overall standard is good, you will be fine!

Aww well congrats!! Yeah the examiners said they will mark leniently with the ongoing pandemic so fingers crossed! Thanks again
Reply 11
Just to prove my point, I was looking through my thesis yesterday to lift a reference I needed for something else, and I found a spot in a footnote where I spelled a writer's name wrong :lol:
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
Just to prove my point, I was looking through my thesis yesterday to lift a reference I needed for something else, and I found a spot in a footnote where I spelled a writer's name wrong :lol:

Aww omg it just shows how easy it is to make a silly mistake without even realising! Thanks for your help I really appreciate it 😊

Quick Reply