The Student Room Group

MSc forensic psychology

Hiiii! So I don't know if this is the right thread or whatever, but I've been offered conditional places at both Goldsmiths and Royal Holloway to study an MSc in forensic psychology. No idea which one to go to and was looking for people that have experiences there to guide me? Kinda want to go with whatever uni has best placement links but unsure of which one that is!
Any help would be amazing x
Hi!I'm in the same predicament as you at the moment, and have offers from them both and am slightly stuck. I have seen another thread on here about MSc's for Forensic Psych and seen a lot of people mentioning that Goldsmiths have links with surrounding services but due to COVID19 these could be more competitive/difficult to get. When I had my interview with them they said they had good links with voluntary and paid placements, which I thought sounded good, that they would let us know nearer to the start of the course!I haven't seen anything about Royal Holloway, and as I didn't have an interview I haven't been able to ask. I did send them an email but I haven't heard anything yet! It might be worth looking at local services around the area to see what they may be able to link us up with?! Just an idea...Let me know what you decide to do or if you figure anything out!
Original post by megan.ellis
Hi!I'm in the same predicament as you at the moment, and have offers from them both and am slightly stuck. I have seen another thread on here about MSc's for Forensic Psych and seen a lot of people mentioning that Goldsmiths have links with surrounding services but due to COVID19 these could be more competitive/difficult to get. When I had my interview with them they said they had good links with voluntary and paid placements, which I thought sounded good, that they would let us know nearer to the start of the course!I haven't seen anything about Royal Holloway, and as I didn't have an interview I haven't been able to ask. I did send them an email but I haven't heard anything yet! It might be worth looking at local services around the area to see what they may be able to link us up with?! Just an idea...Let me know what you decide to do or if you figure anything out!

I'm so glad someone is in the same boat as me! As much as I know Royal Holloway is the better ranked uni, my interview with Goldsmiths and their communication with me so far has been amazing. I have contacted both uni's asking for info on the placements so will update this when I hear back. Wondering if maybe I need to go to Goldsmiths in order for me to achieve better- wouldn't say my grades are particularly outstanding by Royal Holloway's standards.
Original post by laurenemma99
I'm so glad someone is in the same boat as me! As much as I know Royal Holloway is the better ranked uni, my interview with Goldsmiths and their communication with me so far has been amazing. I have contacted both uni's asking for info on the placements so will update this when I hear back. Wondering if maybe I need to go to Goldsmiths in order for me to achieve better- wouldn't say my grades are particularly outstanding by Royal Holloway's standards.

Ah okay, I guess that reflects in the course fees for Royal Holloway as well! That would be great if you don't mind letting me know - I did try and email Royal Holloway but I hadn't heard anything else! I feel a bit biased as well cos I've spoke to one of the lecturers at Goldsmiths through an interview but I didn't for Royal Holloway so I have a bit of a feel for it already... I know what you mean about getting the grades, I guess then achieving better would always help later on!
Original post by megan.ellis
Ah okay, I guess that reflects in the course fees for Royal Holloway as well! That would be great if you don't mind letting me know - I did try and email Royal Holloway but I hadn't heard anything else! I feel a bit biased as well cos I've spoke to one of the lecturers at Goldsmiths through an interview but I didn't for Royal Holloway so I have a bit of a feel for it already... I know what you mean about getting the grades, I guess then achieving better would always help later on!

Royal Holloway finally emailed me back- just another email address to ask someone else my questions basically. Goldsmiths have also emailed me, a much faster reply, and just based off of this I feel drawn to them. I think if I want the support I'm going to need I'll end up going with Goldsmiths tbh!
Original post by laurenemma99
Royal Holloway finally emailed me back- just another email address to ask someone else my questions basically. Goldsmiths have also emailed me, a much faster reply, and just based off of this I feel drawn to them. I think if I want the support I'm going to need I'll end up going with Goldsmiths tbh!

Io

(Original post by laurenemma99)
Such a long time and how frustrating! Like it doesn’t give you any reassurance that they’ll look after you in a way?! They took 5 weeks to respond to an email i sent about the application process! I think I am going to go for Goldsmiths too you know - they were really nice and I liked the fact we can choose an optional module. Plus it’s cheaper 😂

Quick Reply