The Student Room Group

Lectures

Just looking for some insight into how lectures work in uni.
Like do u have to constantly take notes and if so would it be best on paper, laptop, iPad???
Thank you :smile:
for most courses you’d probably have to take some notes at least, depending on your lecturer sometimes a lot of the information will be on the slides, but you are expected to take notes on the key points of the lectures yes, whether you use paper or a computer is completely personal, usually whichever one you think you can do quicker is the better option! (:
if the lecturer gives you notes, it's possible to get away with less writing (because you've got some/most of the content and only need to annotate) but at the expense of slightly harder revision (imo) because what you've not written is harder to remember first time

i use paper and pen because my notes involve equations and diagrams which are quicker hand written. i guess a tablet + stylus would be acceptable here but why spend the money. equally, switching on a laptop is more time consuming which is helpful if you're late and its less convenient if you need to worry about a charger

if all you need is standard word processing (i'd assume a typical arts subject like history) then a laptop is fine and if you benefit from researching stuff/having the powerpoint open in another window then it's probably beneficial
Reply 3
resea4rch has consistently shown that understanding and recall is better if notes are handwritten, but what it doesn't say is when notes need to be handwritten. You could use a laptop then do some handwriting later to aid absorption
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
if the lecturer gives you notes, it's possible to get away with less writing (because you've got some/most of the content and only need to annotate) but at the expense of slightly harder revision (imo) because what you've not written is harder to remember first time

i use paper and pen because my notes involve equations and diagrams which are quicker hand written. i guess a tablet + stylus would be acceptable here but why spend the money. equally, switching on a laptop is more time consuming which is helpful if you're late and its less convenient if you need to worry about a charger

if all you need is standard word processing (i'd assume a typical arts subject like history) then a laptop is fine and if you benefit from researching stuff/having the powerpoint open in another window then it's probably beneficial

What do you study ?
Original post by Lolhehe

What do you study ?

ppe, major in economics
would probably have more writing if i studied more of phil/pol
I print the lecture slides ahead of the lecture and then hand write onto those, works best for me. So all notes in a file rather than on a laptop.
Reply 7
Original post by Catherine1973
I print the lecture slides ahead of the lecture and then hand write onto those, works best for me. So all notes in a file rather than on a laptop.

Oooo that’s a good idea thank you
Reply 8
ppe, major in economics
ppe, major in economics

What do you think is best if I want to study in the field of biology??
Lots of people take in laptops, my course (Education) isn't very keen on iPads or Phones and people take notes as well, but a lot of the slides are now posted online

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending