The Student Room Group

Would you actually accept a vaccine?

Would you accept a vaccine that had been produced on a 18 month timescale?
Its all very well trying to protect the population from COVID-19 but, if the actually makes a fairly high proportion people sick, it defeats the point in the place.
If the vaccine is developed on a very short time scale, there won't be proper data on this.

Will they even be able to produce a vaccine for COVID-19 in the first place (or at least in the shot time scale they promise) look at the amount of money & time that have been spent on producing vaccines for other diseases like HIV.

The lockdown strategy hinges on a vaccine being produced fairly quickly. For these reasons I think it is a misguided and I welcome the government relaxing it.

Like it OR not, there is no denying that economic crashes lead to death.

Scroll to see replies

As long as it had passed the required safety checks.
Original post by DiddyDec
As long as it had passed the required safety checks.

Within an 18 month time scale, how could the vaccine pass all the required safety checks?
Original post by glassalice
Within an 18 month time scale, how could the vaccine pass all the required safety checks?

**** knows, I know nothing about vaccines.
Its all very well trying to protect the population from COVID-19 but, if the actually makes a fairly high proportion people sick, it defeats the point in the place.
If the vaccine is developed on a very short time scale, there won't be proper data on this.

Will they even be able to produce a vaccine for COVID-19 in the first place (or at least in the shot time scale they promise) look at the amount of money & time that have been spent on producing vaccines for other diseases like HIV.

The lockdown strategy hinges on a vaccine being produced fairly quickly. For these reasons I think it is a misguided and I welcome the government relaxing it.

If it's available yes.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
**** knows, I know nothing about vaccines.

It's ok, neither does OP

It wouldn’t be massive produced or even available in the UK without passing all the safety checks and efficacy trials. That’s why it’s very unlikely to get a vaccine within the next 3 years. With the nature of coronaviruses though, ever getting a vaccine for Covid19 is unlikely so we’ve just gotta learn to live with it.
Original post by Drewski
It's ok, neither does OP

OK, tell me what I need to know? I don't know that much so I happy to listen to some that is wiser.
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldn't, not only for the above reasons, but because it's not even a deadly disease like meningitis so what's the point? I don't ever get the flu jab.
yes, I'm young so even if the vaccine was harmful, I'm more likely to survive than others so why not? I don't mind 'testing it out'
Reply 10
Eh, why not.
Original post by Jamie_1712
It wouldn’t be massive produced or even available in the UK without passing all the safety checks and efficacy trials. That’s why it’s very unlikely to get a vaccine within the next 3 years. With the nature of coronaviruses though, ever getting a vaccine for Covid19 is unlikely so we’ve just gotta learn to live with it.

The media at least are promising an 18 month timescale.

Unlike you I listen to scientists and medical professionals, not the media. If the BBC reporters are the ones getting together and making a vaccine together then they can promise a time scale. No medical professionals or scientists are promising anything. That’s not to say they aren’t trying.

Can you post the source?

For me, no I’m not bothered about a vaccine. However since my dad is more susceptible to covid (he’s terminal) then I would be all for giving him the vaccine if it works. I don’t give a **** if it’s not passed safety checks at that point.

but the UK won’t release a vaccine until it has passed safety checks..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Fermion.
For me, no I’m not bothered about a vaccine. However if my dad was to get Covid (he’s terminal) then I would be all for giving him the vaccine if it works. I don’t give a **** if it’s not passed safety checks at that point.

but the UK won’t release a vaccine until it has passed safety checks..

If you’re dad were to get Covid19, a vaccine would do nothing at that point. Do you even know what a vaccine is?
A vaccine wouldn’t even be available to accept if it hadn’t passed all the mandatory safety checks, so yes I would.

“Public-facing scientists such as the UK’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, and his US counterpart, Anthony Fauci, keep repeating that it won’t be before 12 to 18 months.”

Won’t be. Not will be.
Original post by Jamie_1712
“Public-facing scientists such as the UK’s chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, and his US counterpart, Anthony Fauci, keep repeating that it won’t be before 12 to 18 months.”

Won’t be. Not will be.

Implies that he is been careful not to make any promises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending