The Student Room Group

How do you structure ucas personal statements (physics or engineering)

I’m honestly just confused
I’m not too sure what I want to do as a degree yet it’s between physics and engineering
Do you write two personal statements then?

I’m planning to do civil engineering placement in august
Readings books on astrophysics
Online taster day
Go to a lecture on either of them
Online course on moocs one one engineering and one on physics
A week teaching science at a primary school hopefully

School netball volunteering
Tbh I would wait to plan your personal statement later and use this time to find out which degree is for you first so it makes it easier to plan it later on.
Reply 2
Decide first. Write one and write it for one subject. It's completely fine to take a year out if you're not sure.
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
Tbh I would wait to plan your personal statement later and use this time to find out which degree is for you first so it makes it easier to plan it later on.
when applying what if I apply at one university for engineering and physics at another
Original post by rehena12
when applying what if I apply at one university for engineering and physics at another

Why??? I’m not bashing you or anything I’m just a bit confused.
In that case you'll want to have a personal statement that satisfies both of those courses. The courses are similar, so this is possible, however it could lead to a slightly mismatched personal statement if you end up with an engineering section and a physics section. In many cases such a personal statement can still work fine, however if you are applying for top universities (e.g. Oxbridge) it may be to your detriment.

However, to second what's been said, I think you may benefit from taking a bit of time to decide on one or the other. Ultimately, by applying to both you're just deferring the decision for which you prefer until later! Maybe look at virtual open days to decide which specific course content appeals to you, or do some wider research. Deciding on one or the other might take some thinking but you still have ample time.

You may find my tips on writing an engineering personal statement helpful regarding how to structure your statement. Even if you go down the Physics route, it may still be beneficial. Please note it's quite Oxford oriented but still useful, I hope! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6459234
Reply 6
Original post by PetitePanda
Why??? I’m not bashing you or anything I’m just a bit confused.

i want to do a physics degree then do an engineering degree then become and engineer then later in life work in education as a physics teacher
Reply 7
Original post by NemesisRider
In that case you'll want to have a personal statement that satisfies both of those courses. The courses are similar, so this is possible, however it could lead to a slightly mismatched personal statement if you end up with an engineering section and a physics section. In many cases such a personal statement can still work fine, however if you are applying for top universities (e.g. Oxbridge) it may be to your detriment.

However, to second what's been said, I think you may benefit from taking a bit of time to decide on one or the other. Ultimately, by applying to both you're just deferring the decision for which you prefer until later! Maybe look at virtual open days to decide which specific course content appeals to you, or do some wider research. Deciding on one or the other might take some thinking but you still have ample time.

You may find my tips on writing an engineering personal statement helpful regarding how to structure your statement. Even if you go down the Physics route, it may still be beneficial. Please note it's quite Oxford oriented but still useful, I hope! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6459234

im not applying to oxford im planning to do a masters in engineering but initally want to do a physics degree i got civil engineering placement for work experince but i dont know how i could relate that back i i plan to take physics at uni and relate that back in my personal statement
Original post by rehena12
i want to do a physics degree then do an engineering degree then become and engineer then later in life work in education as a physics teacher

Ohhh I see. I don’t know much about that pathway but @NemesisRider gives useful advice on what to do. If you have a ratio of 4 physics course and 1 physics and engineering course, I recommend contacting the unis if they would accept a secondary personal statement as some do so you don’t hinder your other choices by including engineering. I still recommend taking the time to research as you still have time. Good luck :rave:
You don't need to talk about work experience in an academic degree like physics or engineering. If you want to do physics then apply for physics. You could probably train to be a physics teacher with an engineering degree too
Hello! Even I’m stuck on choosing between the two, you said you’ve been reading some books on physics? What are some of those books so I can try read them too?
Original post by dineth17
Hello! Even I’m stuck on choosing between the two, you said you’ve been reading some books on physics? What are some of those books so I can try read them too?

You could do reading to try and help you make your decision. You should also talk about reading related to the course in your PS when you decide which one you want to do. I'm not a physics/engineering student so I don't know what books to suggest. Think of aspects of them that interest you, or look at introductory course reading lists

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending