The Student Room Group

Met Police Training - Accommodation???

Hey

I’m due to start the Met Police training at Hendon in September, but I live 70 miles away in the middle of nowhere just outside Colchester.

I got the borough I wanted which is only about 45 minutes away from me so it won’t be a problem to commute once I pass out, just for the 13 weeks of training.

I’m really not sure where to start with potentially looking to stay somewhere or something for those 13 weeks, I still live with my parents so I’ve never looked for a place to live etc.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has ever been in a similar position with the Met police college or if anyone knows of anywhere etc.

Reply 1
How old are you? Sorry if it seems irrelevant but I just want to know
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
I’m 20, I was 19 throughout most of my application
Reply 3
Original post by mimi0701
I’m 20, I was 19 throughout most of my application

Cool! I am 19 as well but I didn't know the Met would be taking on people who are barely in adulthood, I was always told they usually take people at the ages of 25 or something and that 19 is too young.
Did you apply for a full time or part time role? Also about your accommodation, did you try to email them about the accommodation problem? I am not sure but I heard the Met does try to arrange accommodation for their recruits if they live too far away.
Reply 4
Original post by The RAR
Cool! I am 19 as well but I didn't know the Met would be taking on people who are barely in adulthood, I was always told they usually take people at the ages of 25 or something and that 19 is too young.
Did you apply for a full time or part time role? Also about your accommodation, did you try to email them about the accommodation problem? I am not sure but I heard the Met does try to arrange accommodation for their recruits if they live too far away.

I thought it would go against me too but they never mentioned anything about my age, I was the youngest by years at both the Day One and Day Two Assessment days though :smile: Don’t let it put you off!

I applied for full time, I did email but she said I wasn’t far away enough, I think you have to live on mars lol
Reply 5
I thought it would go against me too but they never mentioned anything about my age, I was the youngest by years at both the Day One and Day Two Assessment days though :smile: Don’t let it put you off!

I applied for full time, I did email but she said I wasn’t far away enough, I think you have to live on mars lol

I myself did consider joining the Met but I am currently at university so I thought to myself I might as well finish my degree and apply through Police Now if I ever do want to join.

Well that sucks, all I can think of is you have to try and get some accommodation yourself but knowing the area in which your training will take place, the rents won't be cheap. And I also assume you are still financially dependent on your parents so I doubt your parents are willing to help you out here.

You can try and get a loan from your bank and look for a studio flat nearby as they will be the cheapest type of accommodation you can get in London.
Or you can try and get Income support or Job seeker's allowance to help out with the costs (Then again with this COVID-19 thing they will take ages to process the application).
Otherwise I am afraid you are just gonna have to get up earlier to catch the train and go to your training centre :frown:

I may be wrong or inaccurate in some of my suggestions, please do forgive me as I hardly have experience in these matters :biggrin:
Reply 6
That makes sense, I was going to do that but got impatient 😂

Yeah I’ve considered pretty much all these things, just doesn’t seem worth it for just over 3 months...

Sure I’ll figure something out! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 7
Hello, I’m in the same boat. Did you get any info on this? I’ve been looking at Airb
Hey,Id be interested to know if you found anywhere? I'm due to start training at Hendon at the end of July! I will have to move out because my mum is relocating to Suffolk. I currently live in North West London so I'm looking at flat shares as I wont be able to afford anywhere alone. This is all new to me too as I've only ever lived at home, I'm 24. The Met were unable to support with accommodation so I'm having to do it alone.Billie :smile:
Hey guys, why dont you try having a look at short term flat shares? Could work out at around 500-600 per month depending on which part of london. Have a look on facebook aswell, theres a group called ‘rent houses & flats & rooms in london’, just pop a post in there and people will give you some offers. Try spareroom website too! Im sure youll be able to find a 3 month let! Hope this helps guys!
I am just waiting for my start date ect from them because I have passed everything but thankfully I live in london!
(edited 3 years ago)
That makes sense, I was going to do that but got impatient 😂

Yeah I’ve considered pretty much all these things, just doesn’t seem worth it for just over 3 months...

Sure I’ll figure something out! Thanks for your help :smile:

Original post by WendyJHB
Hello, I’m in the same boat. Did you get any info on this? I’ve been looking at Airb

Original post by billie_laina
Hey,Id be interested to know if you found anywhere? I'm due to start training at Hendon at the end of July! I will have to move out because my mum is relocating to Suffolk. I currently live in North West London so I'm looking at flat shares as I wont be able to afford anywhere alone. This is all new to me too as I've only ever lived at home, I'm 24. The Met were unable to support with accommodation so I'm having to do it alone.Billie :smile:

Here's the thing guys - this is a very dicey issue.

First you have to consider - are you guaranteed to be going to Hendon, or could you be going to Marlow?

Second, which borough are you hoping to go to?

This will all make a big difference. If you're guaranteed Hendon, and you are going NW or anywhere vaguely central, then I would look to be renting a place in the suburbs where you can easily get to work afterward. No doubt, you should be able to get together with a couple of people you meet and rent a place together. You will be earning a reasonable amount from the start.

The problems are as follows:

There is the possibility that your timelines will become messed up. You could fail an exam and be back-coursed, making your time at Hendon longer - it's also entirely possible that you could be told you're being back-coursed to a class in Marlow.

You could sustain an injury during training - even from something not related to work. If this happens, you may not be able to complete training, and again could be back-coursed.

Someone you are sharing with could be back-coursed, or quit. This could easily mess up any rent agreements.

You may not get the borough you wanted. You may even get Safer Transport.

Travel is a big big deal. You have to work on being able to get to Hendon for 7am for an early, and leave at 10pm for a late. When you get to borough, the shift pattern will be whatever it is. For ERPT that probably means 7am start for earlies, 11pm finish for lates - with the strong possibility of delayed finishes. The easier it is for you to get home, the better. If you're living in Colchester and working in Ealing and you arrest someone at 10pm, then chances are you won't be able to get home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending