The Student Room Group

Not Quite the News Quiz.

Welcome to news week! This week we will be testing your knowledge of all things newsy so get ready current affairs buffs for it is Not Quite the News quiz!!

The Not quite the News quiz will be starting at 20:00 on Friday 29th of May

This quiz will be based around News stories which are not a 100% accurate.

I will post a snippet from, or a summary of a news story and will be changing one fact. Your task is to spot the inaccurate fact and tell me what the correct one is.

For example.

[Statement} On 1st of September 1938, Nazi German forces crossed the Border into Poland to begin their Invasion of the Country, following a campaign titled "Operation Himmler", 2 days later Britian and France declared war. This started WW2 in Europe.

Incorrect Fact: 1st September 1938

Correct fact: 1st of September 1939

So, we present to you not quite the news Quiz with your Host, Andrew97!

The Rules
There will be 10 questions.
I will post the first question, quoting in everybody on the sign up list and everyone who has posted so far on the thread.
You have 5 minutes to post the answer you think it is.
(Please don't edit or delete your responses, we can see where this happens. )
I will be taking each user's first post as the answer they have provided
I'll then quote in everyone who replies when I post the next question.
Answers and scores will be revealed at the end.

Questions
1) Iran’s most powerful military commander, General Qasem Soleiemani, has been killed by a US airstrike in Iraq. The 62 year old spearheaded Military operations in the Middle East as head of Iran’s elite Quds Force. He was killed at Mosul Airport, along with other Iran-backed figures on Friday Morning in a strike ordered by U.S President Donald Trump.

2) In 1912, the Titanic struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage from Belfast to New York City, causing her to sink in the North Atlantic.

3) In the early hours of the 26th of April, 1986, one of the 5 reactors at the Chernobyl power station exploded during routine testing. Moscow was slow to admit what happened, only admitting to the accident after the radiation from Chernoybl set off alarms at the Forsmark power station in Sweden. The delayed announcement and lack of information has led to exaggerated claims of the number of casualties.

4) In August 1945, an Amercian B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, drops an atomic bomb, nicknamed Fat Boy on the City of Hiroshima. Another bomb would be dropped on Nagasaki, this would lead to Japan’s unconditional surrender and the end of WW2.

5) Julian Assange is facing extradition to the United States and up to 5 years in Prison after he was forcibly dragged from the Venezulean Embassy in London on Tuesday, bringing a seven year diplomatic stalemate to an end. After 2487 days in the Embassy, Mr Assnage, was arrested after his political asylum was revoked.

6) Following the vote for Britain to leave the European Union yesterday, the Prime Minister David Cameron has announced he will resign paving the way for a new party leader and Prime Minister. Mr Cameron had campaigned hard in the referendum and was a leading figure in the leave campaign, Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP described it as “Sticking two fingers up” at the British establishment. Boris Johnson is seen as the most likely successor to Mr Cameron

7) Boris Johnson has declared he will not throw Dominic Cummings “To the dogs” as the Prime Minister’s aide was accused of breaking the lock down, Mr Johnson is facing calls for a formal enquiry into Mr Cummings who violated the code of conduct for Government advisers in driving 300 miles from North London to Durham at the height of the crisis at the end of March, Mr Cummings was spotted outside his parents home exercising on the 5th of April.

8) The International Criminal tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia became a crime scene on Wesnday when a convicted war criminal committed suicide with poison he smuggled into the courtroom. Slobodan Praljek, a Commander of Serb forces during the 1990s war in Bosnia, swigged poison from his flask moments after a panel of appeals judges upheld his 20 year sentence for war crimes on Wednesday morning.

9) One of the three schoolgirls who left East London in 2015 to join the Islamic state group says she has no regrets, but wants to come back to the U.K. In an interview with The Telegraph, Shamima Begum, now 19, talked about seeing “Beheaded heads” in bins- but said that it “Did not Faze her” . Speaking from a refugee camp in Syria, she said she was nine months pregnant and wanted to come home for her baby. She said she'd had two other children who had both died. She also described how one of her two school friends that had left the UK with her had died in a bombing. The fate of the third girl is unclear

10) Humphrey Lyttleton, the Jazz musician, journalist and radio broadcaster, has passed away aged 86. Humph, as he was known, was admitted to hospital on the 16th of April for surgery to repair an aortic anuerysm. His admission to hospital had forced the Spring series of “I’m Sorry I haven’t a clue”, a show he has presented for 15 years to be cancelled.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:woohoo:
I'll do this one
Join tomorrow (Friday 29th) at 20:00 for not quite the news Quiz, with your host, Andrew97!

Spoiler

Let’s do this!
Sounds fun!
azang.png
Sounds Awesome! :biggrin:

Original post by 04MR17

I love that programme :smile:
An example of Not the 9 o'clock news:

Original post by 04MR17

Haha.

Hope to see you there MR.

Anyone been able to work out the link between all the people photoed in the OP and QFA post?
Original post by Andrew97
Haha.

Hope to see you there MR.

Anyone been able to work out the link between all the people photoed in the OP and QFA post?

Are they all people who've played newsreaders when they aren't actually newsreaders? :dontknow:
Original post by 04MR17
Are they all people who've played newsreaders when they aren't actually newsreaders? :dontknow:

Nope, they are all people who have hosted the news quiz on radio 4 for more than one series.

It’s a little Easter egg I put in for myself. 🙂
Reply 13
ooh i like this one

Spoiler

1 Hour warning chaps!!!
Remember, the objective is to spot the inaccurate fact and tell me the correct one.

Spoiler

Here goes.

1) From January this year

Iran’s most powerful military commander, General Qasem Soleimani, has been killed by a US airstrike in Iraq. The 62 year old spearheaded Military operations in the Middle East as head of Iran’s elite Quds Force. He was killed at Mosul Airport, along with other Iran-backed figures on Friday Morning in a strike ordered by U.S President Donald Trump.

What is the inaccurate fact here, what is the correct one. You need both to score the point.
(edited 3 years ago)
His name is Qassem Soleimani
Ill just like to add spelling will not be the answer to any of them.
Qasem is spelt incorrectly? Qassim Soleimani
Killed at Baghdad Airport

Quick Reply

Latest