The Student Room Group

What does COVID-19 mean for Y12?

What does the coronavirus mean for year 12s?

We can't get accurate UCAS predicted grades. It will be harder to get into university with deferring Y13s. We have missed out on a huge chunk of teaching time for A Levels. And all sorts of other things.

Even if we do go back on 15th June it will probably be on a part time basis, likely with less students in the building than normal, and it'll be hard for them to teach at the same pace and teach at the same level. And, A Levels aren't exactly distance learning courses either.

What do you think is going to happen?

Scroll to see replies

More self-study, less opportunity for work experience, more competition for university places and more leniency when it comes to grade boundaries in 2021 exams.
Reply 2
I imagine that there'll be some consideration for y12s next year but I have no idea what.We're all at different points and have taught ourselves different parts of a course to varying degrees of success. It's going to be a complicated problem to navigate but I can see the exam boards doing one of two things:

A) business as usual. If you haven't learnt the content that's your fault (I would fail all 3 of my subjects)

B) an exam on which the topics are chosen by subject teachers so that lockdown topics are either brief or skipped completely.
You should be self studying, the best option is to use to use the specifications of each subject to teach yourself.
Also, you’ll most likely have mocks way later on than usual. But keep working hard g
Reply 4
my college have told us we're not going back till September and there's already disparities in the lesson quality between subjects (some teachers do online lessons, some email work and some have done literally nothing) so I have no idea how they're going to regulate the standard nationally.
also no idea how they could make the exams fair, best chance would probably be if they did something similar to this year and gave us predicted grades or made each teacher pick a set number of topics and only tested us on those.
How can you not get accurate UCAS predicted grades? They were unreliable, to begin with. A lot of yr 13s won't be able to defer without a good reason as the unis won't let them. I think what is going to happen is dependent on how each school reacts because the schools of the yr 12s that I've seen on here has been handling it differently: from no information at all to a prepared plan for when it happens
I was just wondering if they do reopen schools soon. Do you reckon teachers will just drop a ton of mocks on students in order to receive more data on the students for their AS grades. How likely do you think this going to happen? :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by PetitePanda
How can you not get accurate UCAS predicted grades? They were unreliable, to begin with. A lot of yr 13s won't be able to defer without a good reason as the unis won't let them. I think what is going to happen is dependent on how each school reacts because the schools of the yr 12s that I've seen on here has been handling it differently: from no information at all to a prepared plan for when it happens

1 in 5 students are allgedly deferring according to the news.
Original post by __DC
1 in 5 students are allgedly deferring according to the news.

They can’t defer without a good reason though
Original post by haidster.1
You should be self studying, the best option is to use to use the specifications of each subject to teach yourself.
Also, you’ll most likely have mocks way later on than usual. But keep working hard g

Easier said than done.
Original post by haidster.1

Recommend grinding it out through summer ?
Original post by Magicdesignss27
Recommend grinding it out through summer ?

Yep, thats what a lot of people are going to have to do (me included) and what has been suggested by teachers when reached out to. Even though i have been learning the stuff since lockdown, i havent done it good enough and are not able to revise from the notes i have taken most of the lockdown period. I reached out to my teachers (or at least most of them) and they said to essentially go back over and use the resources from everywhere to try and solidfiy the topics that i feel that i am not sure of at all.

When back in september so far we have been told that we will have a multitude of mocks to try and see where everyone is. It looks like we are going to have to work harder than almost any other Y13 cohort ever has once we get back to being able to have contact (or non-contact contact) time with tutors and people who can help bridge any gaps, but o think that although we might get some lenience we will still sit full exams come next year
Original post by CoastalWizard
Yep, thats what a lot of people are going to have to do (me included) and what has been suggested by teachers when reached out to. Even though i have been learning the stuff since lockdown, i havent done it good enough and are not able to revise from the notes i have taken most of the lockdown period. I reached out to my teachers (or at least most of them) and they said to essentially go back over and use the resources from everywhere to try and solidfiy the topics that i feel that i am not sure of at all.

When back in september so far we have been told that we will have a multitude of mocks to try and see where everyone is. It looks like we are going to have to work harder than almost any other Y13 cohort ever has once we get back to being able to have contact (or non-contact contact) time with tutors and people who can help bridge any gaps, but o think that although we might get some lenience we will still sit full exams come next year

Wow that sucks. Hope it goes well for you. My school did some end of year exams last week in place of mocks so they don’t count as much as they would have but our predicted grades will be based off of our performance all year and if the teachers need more evidence, they can use these tests a bit too
Original post by CoastalWizard

Im really dreading the exams I have in September man but it what it is. And I know I didnt touch a book in the whole of lockdown gonna take me a while to get back into work mode.
Im really dreading the exams I have in September man but it what it is. And I know I didnt touch a book in the whole of lockdown gonna take me a while to get back into work mode.

Did you guys not have online lessons on google meet or zoom or something?
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
Did you guys not have online lessons on google meet or zoom or something?

we only had a few for maths but that was it
we only had a few for maths but that was it

Aww no, that’s so bad of your school :// good luck! What subjects do you do? Maybe I can help with some stuff? I do biology, chemistry, maths and physics
I do maths chemistry and economics, thank you I’m mainly struggling with what to do for chemistry I want to get an A in the mocks which will set me up good for the year
Original post by __DC
What does the coronavirus mean for year 12s?

We can't get accurate UCAS predicted grades. It will be harder to get into university with deferring Y13s. We have missed out on a huge chunk of teaching time for A Levels. And all sorts of other things.

Even if we do go back on 15th June it will probably be on a part time basis, likely with less students in the building than normal, and it'll be hard for them to teach at the same pace and teach at the same level. And, A Levels aren't exactly distance learning courses either.

What do you think is going to happen?

Here's what's happening at my school and what I've read online

With the UCAS predictions we're having our mock exams in September and those will be out final predicted grades.
With the deferring year 13s, I guess that it just means that our university places will be harder to get, but if you give yourself a big enough push, you should be able to fight for your place at the university you want to be at.
We have missed a huge chunk of teaching but there are talks about pushing the exams back two months (i.e. have them in July rather than May) to compensate for the time lost OR reduce the content on the exams (both I think are petitioning live on the government website, go and sign them!

Think of it this way though, the self-learning we've all been doing at home will filter out who is truly fit for university from those who have said "f**k it, I'm taking a six month holiday" meaning that places at top universities might be more available to us lot in year 12 because it will be obvious who has done the work and put the effort in compared to those who haven't.

Try not to worry yourself too much about it, we're all in the same boat, but if you put your mind to it, you'll be surprised at what you can achieve
Original post by GillisRobbieWGS
Here's what's happening at my school and what I've read online

With the UCAS predictions we're having our mock exams in September and those will be out final predicted grades.
With the deferring year 13s, I guess that it just means that our university places will be harder to get, but if you give yourself a big enough push, you should be able to fight for your place at the university you want to be at.
We have missed a huge chunk of teaching but there are talks about pushing the exams back two months (i.e. have them in July rather than May) to compensate for the time lost OR reduce the content on the exams (both I think are petitioning live on the government website, go and sign them!

Think of it this way though, the self-learning we've all been doing at home will filter out who is truly fit for university from those who have said "f**k it, I'm taking a six month holiday" meaning that places at top universities might be more available to us lot in year 12 because it will be obvious who has done the work and put the effort in compared to those who haven't.

Try not to worry yourself too much about it, we're all in the same boat, but if you put your mind to it, you'll be surprised at what you can achieve

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending