Spoiler

Spoiler

What do I wanna do in future?

Spoiler

How often will I update this blog

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, wow your predicted GCSEs are amazing! I could never cope with that much maths :confused: but you seem to be really good at it, whereas I dropped out of A-level maths in about 2 weeks. Anyway, on a more motivational note, maths seems to be all about practice and so lockdown might be an advantage because you can take your time with learning all the different methods. It's good for English literature as well because you should read the texts as much as possible. I did English lit A-level as a taster and did some summer work for it so I know that it's a LOT of reading. The only reason I didn't do it was because of timetabling, I would have liked to have done it. Language is good though :biggrin:.

Good luck with your GYG. It's difficult to remember to update sometimes but it's okay as you don't have to feel pressured to write every week or whenever if you don't want to. Mine's not updated that often because I don't do much actual studying and I usually just write about my feelings rather than revision methods or anything.

Tag me please. :smile:
Original post by Melirose
Hi, wow your predicted GCSEs are amazing! I could never cope with that much maths :confused: but you seem to be really good at it, whereas I dropped out of A-level maths in about 2 weeks. Anyway, on a more motivational note, maths seems to be all about practice and so lockdown might be an advantage because you can take your time with learning all the different methods. It's good for English literature as well because you should read the texts as much as possible. I did English lit A-level as a taster and did some summer work for it so I know that it's a LOT of reading. The only reason I didn't do it was because of timetabling, I would have liked to have done it. Language is good though :biggrin:.

Good luck with your GYG. It's difficult to remember to update sometimes but it's okay as you don't have to feel pressured to write every week or whenever if you don't want to. Mine's not updated that often because I don't do much actual studying and I usually just write about my feelings rather than revision methods or anything.

Tag me please. :smile:

Reading I want to get back into, used to read every night before bed but then I just got caught up with so much other stuff. I'll tag you, can you tag me on yours, I'm not quite used to the whole convention lol
Original post by zacn01
Reading I want to get back into, used to read every night before bed but then I just got caught up with so much other stuff. I'll tag you, can you tag me on yours, I'm not quite used to the whole convention lol

Same, I used to love reading and never do now as I keep watching TV or playing on my iPad. Thanks and yeah, I will. I'm not used to it either really, I still don't know what a GYG is exactly as mine's gone a bit random but oh well. :smile:
Update #1 - 20/5
Haven't had any assessments as of yet, but I've been logging what supercurricular work I've been doing! Usually I would write down after a lesson what I found difficult, or interesting, so that I would address it later in my own time.

Maths/Further Maths
- Did 1 hour of trigonometric equations and quadratics in general on 18/5
- Spent 1 hour doing more trigonometry on 19/5
English Literature
Having been told my area of study was the Gothic genre, I
- Watched an A2 revision video on Gothic literature, before
- Creating a Quizlet set with Gothic themes: here 19/5
Religious Studies
- Watched a New Testament summary/overview video
- Watched a CrashCourse YouTube video on Metaethics and took notes from said video

It's all kinda lowkey in lessons right now, but hopefully this means I stay on top of things when it heats up.

Zac
well done for being proactive about a levels! don't forget to enjoy this time off though, and im sure your hard work over the last two years will pay off for sure :smile:
Original post by mez_merising
well done for being proactive about a levels! don't forget to enjoy this time off though, and im sure your hard work over the last two years will pay off for sure :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Was gonna update with stuff from the latter end of the week, but it’s now half term! (As we started our 6th form courses after a week break following our end of GCSEs work) So from next week I guess it’s on :smile:)
good luck, you sound like you're being so proactive! :awesome: out of curiosity, why didn't you take a level compsci? :ninjagirl:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck, you sound like you're being so proactive! :awesome: out of curiosity, why didn't you take a level compsci? :ninjagirl:

Thanks - basically I had loads of options right, I really struggled when choosing, went to options evening with an open mind, thinking I’d attend Maths, RS, Computer Science and French talks, and I rated each out of 5. Maths was a 2 because it just sounded horrible, I’d have to get a 9 in the mocks to have a chance at doing FM (At that time I was working at a 7/8), French I wanted to do a DELF, which is essentially a language-only qualification (i.e no culture) , but it wouldn’t work with FM, so I had to bin that. And I then decided that RS wasn’t my thing that night and went to the English talk instead, it was quietly beautiful and I rated it a 4, before going to the Computer Science talk.

No offence to my school but we haven’t given A Level computer science as a course, and I wasn’t really interested in being a test subject (new teachers would come in, and I feel like my interest in Computer Science lays outside of what’s taught at A-Level) Obviously this will make it a bit difficult to get in to study Computer Science, but I’ve recently bought a few books about AI and topics surrounding it which I really enjoy, so I guess it’s all in the balance.
Bit of a plot twist, I’ve switched one of my subjects for Physics, can you guess which one?
Reply 11
if you want to do CS take physics
Original post by zacn01
Bit of a plot twist, I’ve switched one of my subjects for Physics, can you guess which one?

RS?
Reply 13
Original post by zacn01

lol i didnt see that comment
Original post by Zealousy
RS?

Spot on - I didn’t really enjoy RS in the week and I kinda enjoyed Physics at GCSE (found it interesting but I got along waffling, so I’m excited to get stuck in, already got a few of Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s books, started one)
Reply 15
Original post by zacn01
Spot on - I didn’t really enjoy RS in the week and I kinda enjoyed Physics at GCSE (found it interesting but I got along waffling, so I’m excited to get stuck in, already got a few of Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s books, started one)

i think oxford does cs with philosophy if that tickles your fancy
Original post by Stoya
i think oxford does cs with philosophy if that tickles your fancy

Ive read a bit into it, it seems like an interesting course tbf but before I can think about courses I guess I have to get the grades on track?
Reply 17
Original post by zacn01
Ive read a bit into it, it seems like an interesting course tbf but before I can think about courses I guess I have to get the grades on track?

it's not just the grades, do a large amount of extra reading and maybe even mathematics/physics Olympiad
Original post by Stoya
it's not just the grades, do a large amount of extra reading and maybe even mathematics/physics Olympiad

Is the maths olympiad through the Senior Maths Challenge? Or is that something else... And yeah I’ll try to enter the Physics olympiad or at least convince my teachers to put me in.

And i’ve got a lot of books on AI and computer science, Garry Kasparov’s Deep Thinking to name one, but something I also find really cool is astrophysics so I’ve got books on that as well; also gothic novels but that’s just cos of English
Reply 19
Original post by zacn01
Is the maths olympiad through the Senior Maths Challenge? Or is that something else... And yeah I’ll try to enter the Physics olympiad or at least convince my teachers to put me in.

And i’ve got a lot of books on AI and computer science, Garry Kasparov’s Deep Thinking to name one, but something I also find really cool is astrophysics so I’ve got books on that as well; also gothic novels but that’s just cos of English

you know there is A Level philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending