The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine A-Level subjects queries UPDATED for 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

doing chemistry, biology, and maths. liked english lit more throughout year 10 but in year 11 preferred geography, however I know the gcses are different. my school does considerably better at english and I want to get a definite A so should I just go for English? I feel like geography might be a bit much not in a really bad way but Maths, bio and chem are really science type subjects and geography is more so than english.
What does everyone else think? also general ops on the two a levels would be amazing
I know for medicine people say it's better to have 3 a levels if you're gonna do better but UCAS points and impression count too - you have the edge over someone with 3 if you do 4 and have similar GCSEs, BMAT, etc? What does everyone else think? The 4th subject won't be something that will facilitate the BMAT or UKCAT but I do get that it impresses and looks better on your application especially since everyone else (or a LOT of people) do 4 who do medicine?
Original post by sophietxx
I know for medicine people say it's better to have 3 a levels if you're gonna do better but UCAS points and impression count too - you have the edge over someone with 3 if you do 4 and have similar GCSEs, BMAT, etc? What does everyone else think? The 4th subject won't be something that will facilitate the BMAT or UKCAT but I do get that it impresses and looks better on your application especially since everyone else (or a LOT of people) do 4 who do medicine?

Universities really don't care - the person looking at your application to start with is either a computer or a clerk who is just checking you meet minimum entry requirements, which are based on 3 A levels.
The only university I can think of that uses the UCAS tariff is QMUL (https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/), and even then it's 50% tariff 50% UCAT.

Barts are the only med school that look at UCAS points.
Manchester (via their holistic route, iethose who do not make the UCAS cut off) will score you more highly for 4 A levels
QUB wil lower their A level offer for a 4th AS level (no extra pointsfor a 4th full A level).
Most medical applicants, statistically, do 3 A levels, not 4

Nowhere else will look at, or even care, how many A levels you offer, except possibly Oxbridge, where it may result in a higher offer and therefore actually be a DISADVANTAGE. In no way would anywhere consider it impressive, nor would it gain you any advantage, other than as detailed above.

Nobody will be looking at A levels, beyond what is required, so nobody will be scoring extra for your 4th A level, except for the very few who look at all stats if they are in a tiebreak situation between 2 otherwise identical applicants, post interview.

If you want to do 4 A levels, and are sure that doing so will not jeopardise your grades in 3 of them, then by all means go ahead and do it, but it will only be beneficial at a maximum of 2 med schools and may be detrimental at others

Barts are the only med school that look at UCAS points.
Manchester (via their holistic route, ie those who do not make the UCAS cut off) will score you more highly for 4 A levels
QUB wil lower their A level offer for a 4th AS level (no extra pointsfor a 4th full A level).
Most medical applicants, statistically, do 3 A levels, not 4

Nowhere else will look at, or even care, how many A levels you offer, provided you meet their requirements, except possibly Oxbridge, where it may result in a higher offer and therefore actually be a DISADVANTAGE. In no way would anywhere consider it impressive, nor would it gain you any advantage, other than as detailed above.

Nobody will be looking at A levels, beyond what is required, so nobody will be scoring extra for your 4th A level, except for the very few who look at all stats if they are in a tiebreak situation between 2 otherwise identical applicants, post interview.

If you want to do 4 A levels, and are sure that doing so will not jeopardise your grades in 3 of them, then by all means go ahead and do it, but it will only be beneficial at a maximum of 2 med schools and may be detrimental at others
Yeah, however it's good to have?? Like extra curriculars which I lack severely - could slightly compensate for doing 3. Also, most applicants for medicine don't get in. However, by doing 4 if you're relatively good in all 4 and get a B it's ok but by doing 3 if you mess up on even one - e.g. B, a star, a star, you're screwed. So in a way if you can cope, doing 4 is safer.
Yeah, however it's good to have?? Like extra curriculars which I lack severely - could slightly compensate for doing 3. Also, most applicants for medicine don't get in. However, by doing 4 if you're relatively good in all 4 and get a B it's ok but by doing 3 if you mess up on even one - e.g. B, a star, a star, you're screwed. So in a way if you can cope, doing 4 is safer.

It is not good to have for medicine applications unless you wish to apply to Barts (or Manchester and QUB as detailed above). It is entirely neutral (or potentially a negative for Oxbridge) as you cannot "make up" for one area with another. If you meet minimum requirements (which are 3 A levels for all med schools) then having a 4th is only of benefit as I have listed, for 1 or 2 med schools.
If you feel you are more likely to get AAAB than AAA, then by all means do 4, as most med schools will not state which subject your 3rd A has to be in, but for most people, if you are borderline for AAA, adding a 4th A level as "insurance" is not more likely to make you achieve it.
Hi! I’m applying for medicine and the subjects I have chosen for Advanced Higher are Chemistry, Biology and Art. Do you think that taking art will be okay when it comes to my application process?
All the uni’s I want to apply to say that I should take Chemistry and one of Biology/Maths/Physics but I’m not sure if this is a minimum subject requirement. I really enjoy art but would this affect my chances of getting into uni, compared to if I took Maths/Physics instead of art. I don’t want to risk anything.

Thanks!
I know someone who got 4 interviews and 4 offers with AH bio, AH chem and AH music
other people I know did AH bio, AH chem and AH mandarin
also know someone who does medicine did AH bio, AH chem and AH english

for the 5 Scottish medical schools only (they didn't apply to English or Welsh or Irish ones)

@hOkstudent :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I really love Maths and Physics but I think I'd prefer to study medicine at University. Right now I'm planning to take A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. I know biology is not a requirement to read medicine, but realistically, what are the chances of getting into uni to study medicine (and succeeding) without biology A-level?
I’ve never spoken to them but seems to know everything about med!
Omg there’s a megathread😂😂

Noo I always see you helping people with queries about med!! This megathread is proof of that!!:smile:
Original post by Euphoria101
Omg there’s a megathread😂😂

Noo I always see you helping people with queries about med!! This megathread is proof of that!!:smile:

He definitely does! :yes:
Original post by GANFYD
He definitely does! :yes:

Absolutely seconded! :wink:
Thanks!
I'm about to start alevels but I'm stuck between 3 subjects for my third choice. I am wanting to take biology and chemistry but my third option is between history, maths and psychology. I've been looking at maths alevel and I don't think I'll enjoy it as much unlike the other two. What would be my best third choice?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sassy sausages
I'm about to start alevels but I'm stuck between 3 subjects for my third choice. I am wanting to take biology and chemistry but my third option is between history, maths and psychology. I've been looking at maths alevel and I don't think I'll enjoy it as much unlike the other two. What would be my best third choice?

dont feel like you have to take maths, the best chance you have going down a medical route is if u have at least 3 As , if you dont enjoy maths the likelyhood is u wont get an A in it, choose the subject you are best at. Ive seen very successful doctors take subjects like bio, chem and sociology, maths isnt neccesary.
Hey, I’ve just finished my GCSEs and I’m going into a-levels soon.
For my a-level I picked chemistry, biology and sociology( however most say I should pick maths which I’m not good at)
I was wondering if you could help me would I still be able to study paediatrics at university. With chemistry, biology and sociology as my A-levels
I did Biology,Psychology and Politics A level is there any way that I can still do a medicine degree?
Original post by Shafxx
I did Biology,Psychology and Politics A level is there any way that I can still do a medicine degree?

Yes. Check here:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending