The Student Room Group

What qualifications do you need to become head of sixth form

Not that I would want to be, Just curious
Reply 1
I wasn’t under the impression that you had to have any specific ones. I mean i think usually they would’ve originally been a teacher so i’m assuming most have at least a bachelors in something and then a pgce. Just guessing tho.
Reply 2
Original post by e2002!
I wasn’t under the impression that you had to have any specific ones. I mean i think usually they would’ve originally been a teacher so i’m assuming most have at least a bachelors in something and then a pgce. Just guessing tho.

My head of sixth form was a btec teacher in btec health and social care as far as I know so I think they got qualifications to become a teacher in that area and then others to become head of sixth form
Reply 3
I'e never met one who wasn't a qualified teacher (so a degree and qualified teacher status) but there are no additional qualifications you need to be a head of 6th form.
Original post by Anon374738
My head of sixth form was a btec teacher in btec health and social care as far as I know so I think they got qualifications to become a teacher in that area and then others to become head of sixth form

I've been Head of Sixth Form - a teacher with 6th form tutor experience - then applied. You have to know UCAS and be aware of pastoral support and SEN -
Reply 5
I would assume a PhD
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I've been Head of Sixth Form - a teacher with 6th form tutor experience - then applied. You have to know UCAS and be aware of pastoral support and SEN -

But how do you know about UCAS, pastoral support and SEN? Are you taught in your degree or..?
Reply 7
But how do you know about UCAS, pastoral support and SEN? Are you taught in your degree or..?

UCAS you pick up whilst working as a teacher, often from being a 6th form tutor or deputy head of 6th which are likely precursors to being head of 6th. Pastoral support and SEN are much the same. All teachers gain some experience in these and more if it's an area that particularly interests you - and you're unlikely to apply for head of 6th unless pastoral support does interest you as it forms a significant part of the job.

I learnt about how to support SEN in my PGCE and then you can learn more as you teach. Pastoral support is often about listening but there are sometimes courses to know when to refer to an expert - there's a lot more online information these days.

UCAS - as a tutor I was part of the team so was shown how to write a reference and gradually got more experience.

You can't do the job straight out of training - dealing with parents also comes with experience!
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
UCAS you pick up whilst working as a teacher, often from being a 6th form tutor or deputy head of 6th which are likely precursors to being head of 6th. Pastoral support and SEN are much the same. All teachers gain some experience in these and more if it's an area that particularly interests you - and you're unlikely to apply for head of 6th unless pastoral support does interest you as it forms a significant part of the job.

But what exactly is pastoral support/SEN(special educational needs)? Is it like dealing with students who have learning disabilities/mental health issues like self harm? I thought that was more the child protection officers job?
Original post by Deggs_14
I would assume a PhD

Why do you think that?
Reply 11
Why do you think that?

I think you need many years of academic teaching and qualifications in order to be suitable for a head of sixth form role right?
I think you need many years of academic teaching and qualifications in order to be suitable for a head of sixth form role right?

Nah....just being a teacher would do, sixth form is pretty much high school or at least in my experience

You don't need a PhD - it's not just an academic role but there's a far bit of pastoral support and liaison with parents/carers.

I'd taught for about twelve years when I was appointed Head of Sixth Form - I had been deputy and held a role as second in maths before that.

Yes but a PhD doesn't prove that you've had years of experience? heck you could have a Chemistry PhD work in a lab for years and then have change of heart and become a Secondary school Chemistry teacher or a university lecturer does that mean you've had years of teaching experience? no Does it mean you have good communication skills or are sociable? also no but tbh I know nothing on teaching.
Reply 15
You don't need a PhD - it's not just an academic role but there's a far bit of pastoral support and liaison with parents/carers.

I'd taught for about twelve years when I was appointed Head of Sixth Form - I had been deputy and held a role as second in maths before that.

Ah yes I didn’t consider the pastoral element as such
But what exactly is pastoral support/SEN(special educational needs)? Is it like dealing with students who have learning disabilities/mental health issues like self harm? I thought that was more the child protection officers job?

I wouldn't lump them all together. Heads of 6th form have no particular responsibility for SEN - that's the SENCo's job - but to be a good Head of 6th form you need to have an understanding and awareness of the issues facing your students, and SEN will be a part of that.

If a student is having issues - and they don't need to be mental health, it could be almost anything - then the Head of 6th may well be the first point of contact, and is certainly likely to have a coordinating role if several people are involved.

Quick Reply

Latest