The Student Room Group

What career paths do biomedical science graduates usually take?

Hi, I wanted to know what careers recent/ upcoming biomedical science graduates are pursuing/ want to pursue as I'm thinking of applying for Biomedical science next year. People keep telling me that it's a degree that opens a lot of doors as you can apply for multiple jobs with a Biomed degree. However I was thinking of pursuing a future as a clinical scientist and wanted to know if there were any Biomed graduates who trained with the STP. If so, how difficult was it to get in? What advice would you give to future applicants? What is a typical day in your life? Any advice would be appreciated 😀
@TheStarboy -any advice for this user? I read somewhere that you do biomedicine
Original post by ayyyy.x
@TheStarboy -any advice for this user? I read somewhere that you do biomedicine

Thank you.

OP
Biomedical Science does open a lot of doors especially the clinical science route you said you liked.
I’m still in the degree but I hear STP is very competitive especially considering it's a masters degree which attracts plenty of graduates.
If you are going to biomedical, you need to plan a lot including modules and placements.
Original post by TheStarboy
Thank you.

OP
Biomedical Science does open a lot of doors especially the clinical science route you said you liked.
I’m still in the degree but I hear STP is very competitive especially considering it's a masters degree which attracts plenty of graduates.
If you are going to biomedical, you need to plan a lot including modules and placements.

Do you mind me asking what career path you want to pursue?
Original post by pineapple201
Hi, I wanted to know what careers recent/ upcoming biomedical science graduates are pursuing/ want to pursue as I'm thinking of applying for Biomedical science next year. People keep telling me that it's a degree that opens a lot of doors as you can apply for multiple jobs with a Biomed degree. However I was thinking of pursuing a future as a clinical scientist and wanted to know if there were any Biomed graduates who trained with the STP. If so, how difficult was it to get in? What advice would you give to future applicants? What is a typical day in your life? Any advice would be appreciated 😀

Hi @pineapple201

I am the President of the Biomedical Science Society here at George's so I have had a fair bit of experience in speaking to Biomed Alumni. The most well known career paths are going into being a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS, a Clinical Scientist privately or moving into a medical degree. Some particularly interesting career paths that I have known people to go into include Medical Finance, Medical Law, teaching, working for Scientific Non-Profits in the Outreach Department and some even go into Physiotherapy.

Hope that helps
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Original post by TheStarboy
Thank you.

OP

sorry for a late question...
but may i ask how may placements/ length of time in a placement is most ideal to be more likely to gain a place on the STP, I'm looking to start work experience soon and im just wondering how much relevant experience i may need to be able to stand out from the rest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending